Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2015, 02:02 PM

2,441 posts, read 2,609,101 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
So the baby should go hungry until the graduation was over?

I don't really mind that photo. It's a little silly but it's not showing more then a lot of bikini tops and she doesn't have to flash the nipple like you would if you take it alllll the way out.
Not only go hungry, but do what babies do when they're hungry, which is scream.

Old 12-19-2015, 02:04 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,888,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
It happened to me once in rural NH. In my own home state, never. My brother made a comment about my breastfeeding in public at my mother's house! I told him to stuff it. He stuffed it.
It isn't like I spend a ton of time hanging out with breast feeding moms, but I have witnessed it 3 times! And that's only a tiny fraction of time they are actually out and nursing their child. One was even covered with a silly cape type contraption that slipped over hear head. She was told she was discussing. One was not covered but discrete. One had full boob out and was letting her kid get up and go do other things and come back, and was not even covering up between. So...I kind of get why someone would say something to her (it was actually a woman).

Old 12-19-2015, 02:07 PM

7,400 posts, read 6,371,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildColonialGirl View Post
Not only go hungry, but do what babies do when they're hungry, which is scream.
But of course someone would say "just give the baby a bottle!" Why would I do that when I can simply give my baby milk from the source?

Plus, my second daughter never took bottles, and I have absolutely no desire to pump. I hate pumping.

Old 12-19-2015, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metaphysique View Post
There is nothing "out of context" about the recommendation to breastfeed to two years or as long as mutually desired by both. Data is data, and the research is quite clear. No, I don't think human milk is some magical elixir that is a cure-all, but its benefits are well established. It's a biological standard. All mammals benefit from the milk of their mother, from its own species. If it's "okay" for children or people to drink cow's milk, milk from another species, then it should be beneficial, more so, for human consumption. And it is.

Just because it makes you, generally speaking, uncomfortable, does not mean the data is inconclusive or wrong. It's not. No one is arguing cat's milk is better for dogs than dog's milk. It isn't.
It doesn't make me uncomfortable. But the only reason why WHO reccomends breast feeding until 2 years old is because it is a constant potential source of nutrients in 3rd world countries where other sources of nutrients might become scarce at times. Also women often think formula is better in 3rd world counties and will get some, over dillute it or run out and their milk has dried up so their baby starves to death.

Dogs stop feeding at a very specific time. As soon as their puppies can get their nutrients from other food sources. And that's what is really nessesary with babies. Peds tell parents to stop giving formula and bottles at one year. It makes no sense to have to breast feed until 2 years if food source is varried and plentiful, UNLESS IT IS SOMETHING THE MOM AND CHILD WANT TO DO. But don't feed me the WHO said line. It's not applicable to wealthy countries.

Old 12-19-2015, 02:19 PM

912 posts, read 915,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
According to what matrix? At that age (especially the higher and of that range), there is no nutritional need or benefit.
Exactly.

Old 12-19-2015, 02:23 PM

Quote:
It doesn't make me uncomfortable. But the only reason why WHO reccomends breast feeding until 2 years old is because it is a constant potential source of nutrients in 3rd world countries where other sources of nutrients might become scarce at times. Also women often think formula is better in 3rd world counties and will get some, over dillute it or run out and their milk has dried up so their baby starves to death.
Women in third world countries are encouraged to breastfeed for far longer than two years since it provides nutrients that are scarce. That doesn't mean said nutrients that were beneficial during the first year become obsolete after a year. No, the evidence and data does not support that. Breast milk is tailored to the needs of the child and remains beneficial for the duration of breastfeeding.

Quote:
Dogs stop feeding at a very specific time. As soon as their puppies can get their nutrients from other food sources.
You do realize there is a huge difference between dog and human development, right? The period between puppy to adult dog is significantly shorter than the period of newborn to human maturity.

Quote:
And that's what is really nessesary with babies.
Solids and table food during the first year is a supplement to breastmilk or formula. It is not meant to replace either, and breastmilk can make up the bulk of a toddler's nutrition after the first year.

Quote:
Peds tell parents to stop giving formula and bottles at one year.
Actually, not all peds give the same recommendations. Not in the least. The main reason why formula may be discouraged or told to discontinue it is because it becomes cost prohibitive after the first year when other forms of nutrition are cheaper. Many peds recommend or encourage 16-20 oz of cow's milk after a year. I'm sorry, but you can't possibly logically argue another mammal's milk is preferable to one's own, assuming a woman is still breastfeeding. If a baby is formula fed then cow's milk is a suitable option, and far cheaper than second stage formula, but for those who breastfeed beyond a year, there's no benefit, absolutely none, to giving cow's milk over human milk.

Quote:
It makes no sense to have to breast feed until 2 years if food source is carried and plentiful, UNLESS IT IS SOMETHING THE MOM AND CHILD WANT TO DO. But don't feed me the WHO said line. It's not applicable to wealthy countries.
I'm pretty well-versed on the data and literature, and it isn't a "WHO line." It's based on actual current data and research, but by all means, continue spreading false information based on your personal feelings and biases.

Old 12-19-2015, 02:30 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,409,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsku View Post
Its pretty difficult to latch on a baby when there's a blanket over them so you can't see their mouth. I always had to move her mouth to the nipple as she was a bad latcher so covers were out of the question.

And apart from that, I never felt the need to cover up because why should I? I wasn't doing anything shameful so I didn't need to hide it. Boobs aren't a big deal here so no one ever cared (not that they could see anything apart from the brief moment before latching and after the feed finished but before I managed to sort my bra out and pull my shirt down)

Ladies, please---lets stop calling them boobs". I find the term childish, ignorant, and just plain stupid
If you want to be taken seriously, speak correctly! I went for a mammogram and the technician actually referred to them as "boobs". I refused the mammogram, and asked to speak to a supervisor, who apologized. The tech actually said "ok, lets take a picture of your boobies"

Again, ladies, they are BREASTS, not boobs. If you want respect and to be treated like a lady, act like one!

Old 12-19-2015, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metaphysique View Post
Women in third world countries are encouraged to breastfeed for far longer than two years since it provides nutrients that are scarce. That doesn't mean said nutrients that were beneficial during the first year become obsolete after a year. No, the evidence and data does not support that. Breast milk is tailored to the needs of the child and remains beneficial for the duration of breastfeeding.

You do realize there is a huge difference between dog and human development, right? The period between puppy to adult dog is significantly shorter than the period of newborn to human maturity.

Solids and table food during the first year is a supplement to breastmilk or formula. It is not meant to replace either, and breastmilk can make up the bulk of a toddler's nutrition after the first year.

Actually, not all peds give the same recommendations. Not in the least. The main reason why formula may be discouraged or told to discontinue it is because it becomes cost prohibitive after the first year when other forms of nutrition are cheaper. Many peds recommend or encourage 16-20 oz of cow's milk after a year. I'm sorry, but you can't possibly logically argue another mammal's milk is preferable to one's own, assuming a woman is still breastfeeding. If a baby is formula fed then cow's milk is a suitable option, and far cheaper than second stage formula, but for those who breastfeed beyond a year, there's no benefit, absolutely none, to giving cow's milk over human milk.

I'm pretty well-versed on the data and literature, and it isn't a "WHO line." It's based on actual current data and research, but by all means, continue spreading false information based on your personal feelings and biases.
I learned long ago you can't be logical with people like you. Done.

Old 12-19-2015, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Ladies, please---lets stop calling them boobs". I find the term childish, ignorant, and just plain stupid
If you want to be taken seriously, speak correctly! I went for a mammogram and the technician actually referred to them as "boobs". I refused the mammogram, and asked to speak to a supervisor, who apologized. The tech actually said "ok, lets take a picture of your boobies"

Again, ladies, they are BREASTS, not boobs. If you want respect and to be treated like a lady, act like one!
I use the term "breasts" in most cases, but in the context of this issue, where the double standard exists, the word to describe the fleshy part that may be seen when a woman breastfeeds or wears certain clothing, is "boobage." Perhaps "cleavage" can be used, but that describes something else. Certain words denote specific images and paint a better illustration or point than others.

I would absolutely side-eye anyone who said "boobies" in a professional or formal setting. Not because I'm a "lady" or want to be treated as such (whatever is meant by that), but because I'm a pedant for proper terminology in these contexts. In the same sense I side-eye people who don't know the difference between vagina and vulva. They're not interchangeable. Anatomy 101. I especially dislike cutesy or non-anatomical names for body parts. *shudder*

Old 12-19-2015, 02:41 PM

Quote:
I learned long ago you can't be logical with people like you. Done.
You're not being logical. You have presented no logically coherent argument. Hence the lack of rebuttal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting