Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2015, 08:04 AM

8,007 posts, read 10,430,859 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
The natural duration of nursing in humans is between two and seven years.
According to what matrix? At that age (especially the higher and of that range), there is no nutritional need or benefit.

Old 12-19-2015, 08:14 AM

634 posts, read 708,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
So your discomfort while eating trumps the baby's real need to eat? And btw, nursing doesn't require nudity of any part of the body that men are not free to flaunt.
You just reiterated my point. Women do not need to flaunt 80% of their breasts to feed. When I eat or do any other mundane activity where I expect people to be clothed, I do not want to see nudity. I don't want to see a bare chested man at my table when I eat.

I have eaten with women who were breastfeeding and guess what? I could not see their breasts and their baby was not covered. It is not that hard.

Old 12-19-2015, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
Why aren't your husband and son mature enough to handle seeing breasts? Why not take that opportunity to teach your sons that it's natural and that breasts are not sexual or made for their enjoyment?
I don't have teenage sons. But I can play the hypothetical game. So you would be 100% ok if you and your husband/boyfriend were having dinner with everyone at the table including your mom shirtless?

Breastfeeding in public is 100% OK with me but just be aware that exposing the entire breasts is just not required.

Old 12-19-2015, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metaphysique View Post
I've never seen a woman disrobe or pop her boob out for ****s and giggles, and I've nursed in several states and attended a few nurse-ins. Some new moms might fumble a bit while breastfeeding is still new and they're getting the hang of things, but just whip out the boob for attention? Nah. I call bull**** on these stories. People tell stories, exaggerate or makeup these things up to validate their cognitive biases and personal hangups. It furthers the stigma and taboo that exists. I live in the most progressive area of the U.S. and do not see any of this deliberate "indecency." Breastfeeding rates are highest on the West Coast, which is known for having a niche culture, crunchy or "hippie" culture, so it stands to reason this behavior, boob-flashing, would be more prominent where there are a higher number of breastfeeding mothers and a more .
Right. Obviously, you missed out on the Ashley Kaidel story last month. You can call B.S. on it but it happens more than you think.

Old 12-19-2015, 08:36 AM

No one sees the difference between 2 pictures? Why are some people on here being so obtuse? It is not an either/or. You CAN feed your baby without covering the baby AND without whipping out the breast.

Ashley Kaidel posts empowering image of herself breastfeeding in public | Daily Mail Online

Science & Sensibility » Mom-breastfeeding-250×360

Old 12-19-2015, 08:41 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,888,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayerdu View Post
No one sees the difference between 2 pictures? Why are some people on here being so obtuse? It is not an either/or. You CAN feed your baby without covering the baby AND without whipping out the breast.

Ashley Kaidel posts empowering image of herself breastfeeding in public | Daily Mail Online

I totally knew some women like Ashley. It was...I don't know if it was for attention, but it was kind of in protest. They were breast feeding "advocates". Yes, I find it tacky. I agree, I don't want to walk into a business of any sort and see a full boob out like that.

ETA I will say the women I know who were like that seemed to be looking for a fight and did seem to like drama and attention in their lives.

Old 12-19-2015, 08:41 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,192,076 times
Quote:

I have never seen anyone pull their shirt DOWN like that firs pic vs up like the second pic. That is news to me. People really do that? I mean obviously that woman did.

Old 12-19-2015, 08:49 AM

7,400 posts, read 6,371,533 times
Quote:

Nope. Saw it, and still don't think it's a big deal. Is her areola showing? Why are you so sensitive about boobage when a baby is attached to it? It's a boob. So what. You chose this woman as an example of "Look! This is unacceptable! Women who NIP do it for attention!" Uh, no. This is erroneous, because the vast majority of breastfeeding mothers, especially in areas where stigma and taboo exists to a greater degree, are discreet. Your small sample does nothing to "prove" this is some epidemic.

But this and, say, VS and Cosmo covers displaying the same amount of breasts sans areola are unoffensive. Logical inconsistency. Either you're offended by breasts being displayed in all manners or you're just bothered by seeing them being used for their physiological purpose.

And this second link is how I breastfeed in public, but I don't really care, am not offended, by boob in any manner.

Last edited by Metaphysique; 12-19-2015 at 09:29 AM..

Old 12-19-2015, 09:01 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,251,584 times
The second pic is how I breastfed but I've got no issue with the first pic either. If that's how she feels more comfortable then that's the right way for her.

Old 12-19-2015, 09:35 AM

8,007 posts, read 10,430,859 times
Quote:
I don't have teenage sons. But I can play the hypothetical game. So you would be 100% ok if you and your husband/boyfriend were having dinner with everyone at the table including your mom shirtless?

Breastfeeding in public is 100% OK with me but just be aware that exposing the entire breasts is just not required.
Two totally different things. There is no need to just sit around in public with your breasts exposed. THere is a need to actually feed your baby.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting