U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-23-2015, 05:07 PM
 
Location: North Idaho
21,008 posts, read 25,794,422 times
Reputation: 39409

Advertisements

Adding this: while we generally don't touch babies, no one has any inhibitions about touching pets. I have a little dog with long silky ear fringes and no one can go past her without stopping and running their fingers through her long fringes several times and cooing about how pretty she is.

It's maybe a human nature thing to handle the hair of cute babies. We don't because we are culturally conditioned not to. We are an ooh yucky germs culture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-23-2015, 05:11 PM
 
Location: Maryland
912 posts, read 593,025 times
Reputation: 1078
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
There are several people on this forum who need to stay far away from the border states. They will be spending their children's early years screaming at Mexican women.
Guilty as charged. Although, when I lived in San Diego, they were lucky in that no one tried to touch my son. lol (And the ones that did, asked first, in which case I had to decline because I was told to.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-23-2015, 05:15 PM
 
Location: Maryland
912 posts, read 593,025 times
Reputation: 1078
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guard View Post
If someone is from another culture they may not even consider it would be considered wrong. This is how things were when I was a kid and I am white. Things have changed so much.

You knew the white women's intentions when they touched your babies hair?


This is a weird post though. Yesterday I was reading a post on if it was safe to walk with children in a stroller in Buenos Aires and the two warnings I read were to watch out for the dog poo in the sidewalks and that women will fawn all over children.


I think this is from a time when humans were more community oriented. I think in the US we have moved past community and keeping your children from it or not is a decision you have to make.
That was my point. No one does know. Everyone here is making an assumption purely because of her ethnicity, which I was trying to point out, is not right. What would they assume the reason would be if it were a man or someone of a different ethnic background?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-23-2015, 05:17 PM
 
Location: Maryland
912 posts, read 593,025 times
Reputation: 1078
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortel View Post
So you guys are ok with some man randomly touching your young daughter with no idea who he is? I guess that's alright too based on peoples reactions here.
^^^^ THIS. This is my point (one of them)!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-23-2015, 08:16 PM
 
Location: Mt Shasta , Ca.
1,806 posts, read 1,245,306 times
Reputation: 3805
I was born and raised in Texas very near the Mexican border and when we would go shopping in Matamoros it would never fail that the ladies would always run their hands through my sisters long thick blonde hair or pat her red cheeks ( from the intense heat ) or comment on her ice blue eyes... I had mahogany hair and almost black eyes so not much atten there .. it's normal and totally no big deal .

Being from the south and a mom for 32 years, I talk to babies and little kids all the time at the store like I know them !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-23-2015, 08:58 PM
 
10,090 posts, read 6,500,984 times
Reputation: 23714
Ther is a post about not holding babies. And I am all for parents not allowing random people to hold their babies. It's up to the parents. I've never asked to hold a baby. But I allow my son to ask. Sometimes he is told no, sometimes yes. And I did let people hold my babies, and sometimes I said no.

I think it's crazy to not let people to touch your baby. Germs. Pervs. Whatever. Get a grip. Babies aren't full formed adults. They don't have adult boundaries with people. They love to touch and be touched.

Get a grip, people.

My son got all his bugs from other kids. I could always trace it back. And then the doctors office.

If another human wants to lay hand on your child to bless them...shut up. Smile. Move one.

I think some of you don't understand what it's like to be conspicuous.

Get over it. It could be so much harder.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-23-2015, 09:38 PM
eok
 
6,684 posts, read 2,950,040 times
Reputation: 8439
Would you let your dog lick your child's face? Would you let your neighbor's dog? Which has worse germs?

Research has found that children who lived with dogs when they were babies and toddlers, tend to have better immunity against common diseases, and are less likely to have asthma and other such conditions.

Do some races have worse germs than others? Which is worse, racism or dogism?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-24-2015, 04:49 AM
 
Location: Falls Church, Fairfax County
4,768 posts, read 2,597,986 times
Reputation: 5832
Quote:
Originally Posted by UserName14289 View Post
That was my point. No one does know. Everyone here is making an assumption purely because of her ethnicity, which I was trying to point out, is not right. What would they assume the reason would be if it were a man or someone of a different ethnic background?
It was not a man or someone of a different background. But you sound like a peach. I wish your child luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-24-2015, 04:52 AM
 
Location: Falls Church, Fairfax County
4,768 posts, read 2,597,986 times
Reputation: 5832
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
My son got all his bugs from other kids. I could always trace it back. And then the doctors office.
Have you traced forward to all the other kids your son made sick?

Also I am not sure why you think that it is good for a child to never get sick. This sounds like a recipe for disaster.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-24-2015, 07:19 AM
 
1,789 posts, read 1,347,781 times
Reputation: 3655
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcatheart View Post
Hi all,

An interesting thing happened when I was at target the other day.

Please tell me how/what you would have done in this instant.

I was with my wife and boys at target. My wife was waiting for some coffee at the Starbucks they have in the target and my boys and I were waiting for her. They were in their strollers with me. A lady( Hispanic, that will be of relevance later) while walking out of the store passed me then my boys and ran her hand through their hair. We don't know the lady at all. When I say ran her hands, I'm not saying just touched their head but ran, like carressing, their hair. I saw it and was in a little bit of shock like did that just happened. I called out to my wife, who is Hispanic, and let her know what happened. She saw the lady and just shook it off and later explained to me that in the Hispanic culture, they do that sometimes with young kids to wave off evil spirits.

I don't know how to feel about that. What would you say/ do? Thank you.
I had a head full of shock blond curly hair growing up until it turned darker in my early teens. I distinctly remember on trips down into Mexico when I was young, the Mexican ladies loved to grab me and run their fingers through my hair. They would go on and on to my parents about my hair. I think its a cultural thing.

My parents would just smile and thank them and we would keep on walking. I don't see any reason to get upset about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top