Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2016, 09:43 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,384,306 times

Advertisements

What I've learned in life is that plenty of people are going to tell you that you can't do something or try to limit or pigeonhole you. Your parents should not be one of those people.

I'm glad mine weren't and I proved so many other people wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2016, 10:33 AM

4,586 posts, read 5,614,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
2 words: Misty. Copeland.
You must think every woman has her body! (Or is willing to put as much work as Misty and every pro dancer puts in without the recognition the deserve!) We live in America! A country that only values, greed, violence(Sponsored by Hollywood), football, baseball & accountants!

WOW the Ignorance!

Old 01-03-2016, 10:51 AM

7,400 posts, read 6,372,709 times
Is there a tl;dr version of this?

My eyes were glossing over as I attempted to read the first few sentences. Just... no.

Old 01-03-2016, 10:56 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,466,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoProIP View Post
You must think every woman has her body! (Or is willing to put as much work as Misty and every pro dancer puts in without the recognition the deserve!) We live in America! A country that only values, greed, violence(Sponsored by Hollywood), football, baseball & accountants!

WOW the Ignorance!
Whoosh...

That's the sound of my point going right over your head.

Misty was told she'd never succeed ...for a variety of reasons ("too black", started dancing too late...). Among those reasons was that she didn't have the right body type.

Old 01-03-2016, 11:38 AM

2,813 posts, read 2,114,454 times
Quote:

WOW the Ignorance!
Honestly?! Really?! Are you serious...??

First, take a LONG hard look in the mirror.

Second, the phrase "you can be anything you want to be" doesn't mean every girl who wants to be a dancer has Misty's body, nor does it it mean any woman can wake up and apply to be a principle ballerina tomorrow morning. It means you don't have to have a certain body type, or look, or financial status to be a successful ballet dancer. It means if you **work hard** enough you will have more control over your life. It means you DON'T have to become an accountant just because it's a solid, well-paying job (if you don't WANT to be an accountant )

The whole purpose of the phrase is about finding a child's dreams, and aptitudes, and work ethic and guiding them to work to their full potential.

Seriously.

P.S. This is one of the strangest (and off the mark) rants I've read on here.

Old 01-03-2016, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowerPower00 View Post
So, you would not want to do what Bobby Flay does?
I hate cooking. I have no desire to cook at that "level". I like to watch him occasionally on Food Network while I wait for the commercials to be over on HGTV.

Old 01-03-2016, 12:33 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,629,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
OMG! Now that is dangerous thinking....when I see kids playing basketball at the park...what are the odds that any one of them will become professional?...what if none of them are taller than 5'6" ? Oh, I know there's that ONE guy...therefore, rather than help steer kids in a direction where they won't have broken dreams and want to kill themselves at the age of 22, let's say YOU CAN DO ANYTHING...if you try hard enough. So, ALL the blame is on them...not genetics, not their environment, not their intellect, not their lack of talent, not their lack of anything. How about getting REAL? You're not doing your job as a parent if you push wishful, magical, psychotic thinking.
No one said anything about encouraging a child who wants to turn into a unicorn. And YES there have been pro basketball players who are 5'6". Short people have skills just as tall people do. By steering people away from their dreams, you are killing their dreams...creating resentment....being a jerk....why does it hurt to have a dream? What's it to you?

Old 01-03-2016, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfternoonCoffee View Post
Honestly?! Really?! Are you serious...??

First, take a LONG hard look in the mirror.

Second, the phrase "you can be anything you want to be" doesn't mean every girl who wants to be a dancer has Misty's body, nor does it it mean any woman can wake up and apply to be a principle ballerina tomorrow morning. It means you don't have to have a certain body type, or look, or financial status to be a successful ballet dancer. It means if you **work hard** enough you will have more control over your life. It means you DON'T have to become an accountant just because it's a solid, well-paying job (if you don't WANT to be an accountant )

The whole purpose of the phrase is about finding a child's dreams, and aptitudes, and work ethic and guiding them to work to their full potential.

Seriously.

P.S. This is one of the strangest (and off the mark) rants I've read on here.
I disagree; it's a very dismissive phrase. It says: "I have no time/desire(or knowledge/discovered Google) enough to want to help you make an educated decision about the field of work you'll have to get up for every single morning." This phrase expects the kids, to make that decision, while MOST aren't prepared to make such decisions. Seriously, read the work & employment forum. It's eye opening.

I don't need to look in the mirror, as I don't live by that phrase, nor will I ever tell that to my kids. No one ever said that to me while I was growing up, which turned out to be a good thing actually.

"Working hard" is not related with becoming "anything you want to be". One has to work regardless, (what's the other choice here? Not working, being homeless?) And also remember that working hard and be treated like crap by employers completely kills the "want to work hard" idea all together, and sours many who hoped to work in their fields of choice="anything they wanted to be".

This does not apply in America where companies can go under, or fire people for no apparent reason. Remember the death of unions? Remember "right to work" BS? You HAVE to be an accountant(or some other financial job) if you want to make ends meet. Wen was the last time you paid your mortgage out of photography for example? Please show me how many floor employees at Walmart make ends meet? They work, hard annoying long hours, and deal with horrible bosses and are paid nothing...I am sure those people were told they too can be anything they want when they grow up too.
Quote:
It means if you **work hard** enough you will have more control over your life.
We'll have to agree to disagree.

Old 01-03-2016, 01:32 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,329,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakeneko View Post
Huh? I'm a former Woman Marine myself. Did everything my male counterparts did.
Except pull-ups on your PFT.

Old 01-03-2016, 01:35 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,181,169 times
Quote:

WOW the Ignorance!
Wow the ignorance is right... your ignorance! You seem to think that "someone" means "everyone" and "anything" means "everything." Your whole premise is just so wrong it's laughable. The only thing that's not funny is that you are a parent, and are probably teaching your kids your own narrow minded views.

Not EVERYONE will do what Misty Copeland has done. The point is that SHE DID! even with a non-ballerina body type, she did it! Good thing you weren't her mom!

Quote:
I hate cooking. I have no desire to cook at that "level". I like to watch him occasionally on Food Network while I wait for the commercials to be over on HGTV.
I didn't read your whole, long, OP, so I missed the part about not teaching girls that they can do anything men can do. Again, WOW. You don't have any desire to, so no one else should either? Really? Talk about backward. That's the only word for your line of thinking. Backward.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting