Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2016, 01:46 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,836,796 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenstyle View Post
The O.P.'s story reminded me of a phone call I got a few years back. I'm a professional dog walker. A Momâ„¢ called, wanting to know if I could let her 8 year old(!) son shadow me and learn the business. I asked her, "Does he have liability insurance?" After a pause, she said, "Well, no! He's only eight years old!" I said "Exactly. No one in their right mind would entrust their beloved pet to a kid. Plus, if he's so interested, HE should be making these arrangements HIMSELF, not you."
Oh, the huffage that ensued! I hung up, laughing.

The kid was eight, not eighteen! You could have just said "no," without all the drama. And I hate to tell you, kids have been walking their neighbor's dogs since neighbors had dogs. If that made you laugh, I believe you have an odd sense of humor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2016, 05:45 PM

571 posts, read 1,303,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post

Parents. If you are not teaching your children to be on time and be prepared, if you are doing things like working the phones to line up interviews for your children, then you are doing them a grave disservice in life. Also, if you never insist that your child have some kind of job in high school or college, then you are guaranteeing that they'll be missing some important experience when it comes time to enter the real world.
This. This is what I want to scream from every rooftop in the country. Add to it "It's okay for your child to do things that aren't fun." Personal responsibility has all but disappeared. We b**ch and moan about this generation, yet we do nothing about it. I recently left 25 years in teaching because I couldn't stand one more day of this. It is the bane of my existence.

My own stepson is the most coddled individual I have seen in years. He spends 6-8 hours a day laying in bed and staring at his phone. He has zero responsibilities. He makes a minimal effort in school and his grades reflect it. His parents are fine with all of it. It is going to send me to an early grave.

Old 07-26-2016, 07:13 AM

206 posts, read 240,707 times
My wife and I have operated a retail business for over 40 years. In that time we have employed literally hundreds of youths, from all backgrounds and the whole educational spectrum.

We cannot always tell who will be a failure in life. But I can guarantee this: We can absolutely see who will become a long term success in life. The combination of parents, friends, relatives, activities, and personalities mix to make a powerful formula for handling what life will bring them.

Old 07-27-2016, 04:54 PM

1,001 posts, read 1,095,568 times
my parents paid for college and then let me stay at home even after I got my first real job (making 65k/year). Because they were enablers, at 22 I have around 50k saved up and own my own condo.

such bad parenting...

Old 07-27-2016, 04:55 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,164,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stellastar2345 View Post
my parents paid for college and then let me stay at home even after I got my first real job (making 65k/year). Because they were enablers, at 22 I have around 50k saved up and own my own condo.

such bad parenting...
Not what this thread is about.

Old 07-27-2016, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
Not what this thread is about.
title of the thread was "Quit making your children's life easy". I would say paying for college and letting me live rent free despite being a working adult goes under "making child's life easy".

Old 07-27-2016, 04:58 PM

2,223 posts, read 3,875,511 times
Quote:

such bad parenting...
How was your dating life? How did you do with other adult responsibilities? More to life and growing up than saving money.

Old 07-27-2016, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keim View Post
How was your dating life? How did you do with other adult responsibilities? More to life and growing up than saving money.

Well I'm still maxing the 401k, currently have a renter, studying for my PMP certificate, promoted to team lead (currently manage 8 other people and a team in India), so take what you want from that.

What does my dating life have to do with anything? Do you think people who are single are unsuccessful? I've had a few boyfriends in the past, but I'm really not interested in anyone or getting married. I don't see the point of casual dating or casual sex.

Old 07-27-2016, 05:06 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,164,079 times
Quote:
title of the thread was "Quit making your children's life easy". I would say paying for college and letting me live rent free despite being a working adult goes under "making child's life easy".
Most people comment on the OP , not the title. Did your mom schedule your interviews for you?

Old 07-27-2016, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
Most people comment on the OP , not the title. Did your mom schedule your interviews for you?
The title should reflect the original post.
no, of course not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting