Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2016, 04:31 PM

7,588 posts, read 4,159,138 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Just had a jaw-dropping experience.

The mother called me, an acquaintance of my sister. Her daughter had graduated in May and was having a hard time finding a job. So she asked me to talk to her, given how she majored in a related field. Mind you, I'm not hiring, but I might know someone who would be.

The mother calls me back, to set up the interview time and place. I knew I would be between meetings this morning, so I suggested a convenient coffee shop in transit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Everyone is a "child" of someone.

Using your rationale, no adult would ever help another adult network.
An adult, the parent, was helping out another adult, the daughter, who just graduated.

Just to keep it simple, there are parents who have high expectations for their children, like showing up to interviews on time that were set up by the parents. I don't think having high expectations is being mean to a child. Having low expectations is not being nice to a child. I think it shows a lack of self respect from the parent.

I think in general, I agree with the OP and everyone here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2016, 05:32 PM

285 posts, read 262,314 times
This is just sad to me. I started calling in for everything I could at 16, since my mom did a wonderful job at embarrassing me everytime she called for something. Doctors appointments, dentist appointment, job interviews. Everything I could call for myself, I did.

That woman sounds like a parent who really raised her kid to just do great in school, no personal responsibility, and probably gets everything her little heart desires and more just because. But that's my opinion and I could be wrong.

Edit: Should probably add that I'm 19 and moved out as soon as I graduated. Couldn't stay in the city long, I wasn't finding work and hated the community college, and the city tbh, with a burning passion.

Old 07-19-2016, 06:08 PM

2,771 posts, read 2,302,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post

"Well. Mom knew I was having breakfast with friends this morning."

Sounds like there's more to the story.

Old 07-19-2016, 06:21 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,616,818 times
I don't wait 45 minutes for anyone! If you can't be bothered to be on time, then whatever we were scheduled to do clearly isn't important to you. You're lucky if I give you 15 minutes. Normally, I'll wait 10 minutes so I can say I did wait.

I know why she can't find a job....

Old 07-19-2016, 06:28 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,448,254 times
There came a time in my professional career where I realized the torch needed handed onwards. I encouraged more then discouraged those showing teachability and reliability.
This was something that came naturally after awhile.

For the Op, I sincerely commend you for offering the guidance. The student was not ready. It happens.

I am now on the other end of job hunting .. So with some bias.., the resume' and being timely and put together, hasn't done a hill of beans to nab that job. I follow with sincere enthusiasm and interest in the company. Yet the door closes quickly. So as much as doing an interview may have given this young lady a taste of what it takes to nail a job. I can't rightly say that she'll do any better , late or resume' in hand.

Old 07-19-2016, 06:34 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,726,340 times
I don't actually see this as a parenting issue. Rude entitled people, trying to get favors for other rude, entitled people. I see it all the time. This see two just happened to be parentA-child.

Old 07-19-2016, 07:26 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,485,013 times
I think the young lady should just get married. Why does she need to work at all? Maybe she wasn't college material. Obviously, she's not employment material.

Not everybody can do everything. I haven't seen too many young ladies who couldn't do well being housewives. That's all some of them are capable of.

I know, sounds hopelessly old fashioned. But some things from the old days just worked out better, with less hassle for all parties involved. You can put lipstick on a pig, but you still can't expect it to fly.

Old 07-19-2016, 09:58 PM

2,223 posts, read 3,875,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
I think the young lady should just get married. Why does she need to work at all? Maybe she wasn't college material. Obviously, she's not employment material.

Not everybody can do everything. I haven't seen too many young ladies who couldn't do well being housewives. That's all some of them are capable of.

I know, sounds hopelessly old fashioned. But some things from the old days just worked out better, with less hassle for all parties involved. You can put lipstick on a pig, but you still can't expect it to fly.
Oh my...

Old 07-19-2016, 10:06 PM

1,429 posts, read 2,418,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
Actually DO be helpful. If sis says anything to you, tell her that you could not forward her name to anyone without damaging your reputation and that she can learn from this experience why she is having a hard time finding a job.
I third this.

The girl needs to learn an important lesson and apparently her mother needs to as well.
Kids feel entitled these days.

Old 07-19-2016, 10:06 PM

1,279 posts, read 1,835,438 times
A person I know is on his 8th year at Devry trying to get an MBA paid for by his parents...37 years old and making $15 an hour. Parents paid for everything: car, wedding, education.

I grew up dirt poor, had nothing, was making big bucks before graduating college while I worked full time and went to school full time on student loans.

Now I make 154K from my job alone, not counting my investments, and am paying for my MBA in cash, even though I had it harder than all of my friends combined...

Ironic that he will get an MBA...Eventually. Thing is, in his case it doesn't mean anything...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting