Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2018, 02:43 PM

21 posts, read 24,940 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Eyes View Post
Did your pediatrician give you any advice at all? I really doubt that this is happening because she just doesn't want to get out of bed. Would you consider trying an alarm that goes off when she starts to go?

We used diaper doublers because my son was a very heavy overnight wetter. It kept his diaper from leaking, maybe an insert like that could work with the pullup?

https://www.walmart.com/search/searc...d3e8c3a702ba43

Do you have waterproof pads/sheets? I know a lot of people used to double sheet the bed when their kids were potty training. You put something down to protect the mattress, then the sheet, then another protector and top with another sheet. Then in the morning you can strip off the top 2 to put in the washer and still be ready for the next night. I know it's still work, but it could make the morning less stressful.

I know this is a strain on you, but I don't think she can control this and it's important to not punish or make her feel bad about it.
Thanks for the tip on the diaper doublers. I just hate to have to buy pull ups AND the doublers ugh. I have never seen them at Walmart so I will have to look around to see what store sells them.
In regards to the alarm, I have used the alarm in the past and she either ignored it or simply turned it off and went back to sleep. I ended up selling it to make back some of the money I spent to purchase it. I don't recall how much it was but I can tell you it wasn't cheap.

Thanks,
Laura
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2018, 02:51 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,029,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laura_thomas123 View Post
I have left her sheets but I could only last 2 full days. I just couldn't have her sleep in wet nasty sheets. I didn't think it was healthy at all. Not to mention the smell. Febreeze only covers up the smell so much.

She is not on the autistic spectrum. She has been given a clean bill of health. I hate to use the term lazy but that is what I feel it is. She just doesn't want to get up to go to the bathroom. There has been no trauma in our lives and she has always wet the bed since she was potty trained. I just don't get how this doesn't bother or embarrass her. She hates waking up in a soaking wet bed but could care less that she will wets the bed at almost 8 years old. Having to wash sheets every morning is wearing thin.

Thanks,
Laura

Yeah...it would be hard to live with the smell and such. I was just kind of throwing it out there...if you COULD live with it for a while. lol

What if, maybe starting on a weekend, setting an alarm clock in her room (or your room) to wake her up to go pee every couple of hours? I know it'd be a drag...who wants to wake up every couple of hours, but on the other hand, maybe HAVING to wake up every couple of hours for a few days might make her more concientous...just because she's tired. (I know it means you're tired too...but maybe if SHE suffers a little, she'll decide it's worth her time to get up like she's supposed to, if she has to go to the bathroom.

I'm assuming she stays dry at school, right?

Old 09-27-2018, 03:05 PM

21 posts, read 24,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
Yeah...it would be hard to live with the smell and such. I was just kind of throwing it out there...if you COULD live with it for a while. lol

What if, maybe starting on a weekend, setting an alarm clock in her room (or your room) to wake her up to go pee every couple of hours? I know it'd be a drag...who wants to wake up every couple of hours, but on the other hand, maybe HAVING to wake up every couple of hours for a few days might make her more concientous...just because she's tired. (I know it means you're tired too...but maybe if SHE suffers a little, she'll decide it's worth her time to get up like she's supposed to, if she has to go to the bathroom.

I'm assuming she stays dry at school, right?
Yes, she does stay dry during the day other then the occasional accident from waiting till the last possible second go to which only occurs about 1-2 times a month. I get on her about that as well and let her know that she is too old for that and that when she feels the urge to go, she NEEDS to go right then instead of waiting until its too late.

I have used the alarm clock in the past but she will simply ignore it, as the reason I physically wake her up now myself. Mornings are stressful as it is with her but I guess I can try waking her up multiple times during the night. I know it will only be when she doesn't have school the following morning, I might have to start having her take naps again if it starts to affect her school work among other things.

I really just want her to care that she does it that's all. I feel if it bothered her that she does it, it would motivate her to want to try to stop. Does that make sense? Not to sound mean or like a bad mom but its like I am dealing with a 2 year old and not an almost 8 year old given the fact that she isn't the least bit embarrassed by it. I think that bothers me more than the actual wetting itself.

Thanks,
Laura

Old 09-27-2018, 03:13 PM

255 posts, read 168,881 times
Quote:
I am desperately seeking advice regarding my daughters night time issue. She is 7 (8 in Nov) and she still wets the bed every single night no matter what I try or don't try. I have taken her to her pedi multiple times and was basically given the same answer every time....that she is perfectly healthy and its just something that she needs to outgrow on her own. I have tried waking her, not allowing drinks past 7:00 (her bedtime is 8:30), only allowing sips of a drink, making her go before bed and having her help me with the bedding and nothing has helped. I just don't know what else to do. The laundry is killing me and there are times where I am changing sheets twice in a night! Up until a month ago, I was buying pull ups and while the largest ones still fit her, they just don't make it through the night and I still end up with a wet bed. I moved up to the goodnites thinking because they were made for older kids they would be better but that was not the case. Not only did they not work but they cost more than the pull ups and you get less in a pack!
I don't know if its a good thing but it doesn't really bother her that she does it. She hates waking up in a wet bed every morning but her still wetting the bed at her age doesn't phase or embarrass her her one bit if that makes sense. I am beginning to dread mornings with her because most mornings I have to deal with her being upset and having a fit because I am asking her to help me with her bedding. Usually she will flat out refuse to help and it gets to a point where I am late getting her to school on time.
I am hoping someone else here is going through this with their older one and could offer some suggestions. I just cant handle all the extra laundry and having to argue with her over this every morning.

Thank you everyone,
Laura
My 2nd son couldn't stay dry at night until he was in kindergarten and then just like that, almost overnight, he stopped wetting the bed. I had tried everything! His pediatrician said some kid's bladders just take longer to develop and he was an extremely heavy sleeper - to the point I could take him to the bathroom, hold him under his arms, and tell him to pee and he'd pee while sound asleep and dead weight! After he was about 3, and obviously feeling awful about it, I just put him in his "nighttime underwear" and stopped worrying about (on the pedi's advice). I had a friend whose son was almost 10. They had tried everything, including spanking and humiliating him (as if he wasn't humiliated enough). He also slept like the dead. Then around 10, he just started staying dry. I think for some kids, they simply cannot physically hold it in all night and if they are heavy sleepers, they aren't aware of the signs. You just have to wait for their bladders to mature.

Old 09-27-2018, 03:17 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,458,170 times
First, limiting liquids is not the answer.
I was a late bloomer so to speak. Kidney dialysis from 4 til 7. Emotional stress.
What deterred the bed wetting was months of non humiliation by family. My grandmother simply kept my bedding dry. My anxiety from doctors exams and months of sensing the dismay really did play a part. I rarely encourage medication in young children...yet they do have a med that helps discipline the kidneys.
I don't know your child or where they are in development stage...as a parent you do have a sense. I can only say that as the kid...it's stressing when not developing this technique aptly.

Old 09-27-2018, 03:20 PM

How about when she wets the bed, tell her she can sleep on the floor, and she's not to wake you up anymore.

I'm trying to think of ways that minimize what YOU have to go through, and maximize the uncomfortableness she would have to go through.

For example...you would tell her that from now on, she is not to wake you up when she wets the bed. If she doesn't want to sleep in her own wet bed, than she can sleep on the floor next to her bed. She can make a pallet if she wants to...whatever. But she has to leave you alone and let you sleep.

If she DOES end up waking you up...you punish her for THAT. Take a favorite toy away, or tell her she has to play inside that day...whatever gets her where it hurts...so to speak.

Regarding having to do so much wash...maybe it'd be worth it to invest in a few more sheets (so you don't have to do laundry quite as often) and maybe get a diaper pail to put the wet sheets/blankets etc., into?

Old 09-27-2018, 03:22 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,159,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Eyes View Post
Did your pediatrician give you any advice at all? I really doubt that this is happening because she just doesn't want to get out of bed. Would you consider trying an alarm that goes off when she starts to go?

We used diaper doublers because my son was a very heavy overnight wetter. It kept his diaper from leaking, maybe an insert like that could work with the pullup?

https://www.walmart.com/search/searc...d3e8c3a702ba43

Do you have waterproof pads/sheets? I know a lot of people used to double sheet the bed when their kids were potty training. You put something down to protect the mattress, then the sheet, then another protector and top with another sheet. Then in the morning you can strip off the top 2 to put in the washer and still be ready for the next night. I know it's still work, but it could make the morning less stressful.

I know this is a strain on you, but I don't think she can control this and it's important to not punish or make her feel bad about it.
Good advice.

Quote:
Thanks again for your post. The she was wearing the pull ups up until the point where they just weren't making it till morning without leaking through. I was still washing sheets weather she wore a pull up or not.
Size wasn't an issue as the largest size pull up still fit her while the ones for older kids (goodnites) didn't quite fit her and were somewhat too big.

Thanks for the suggestion about putting a fan in her room. She has a ceiling fan but I will try a portable one and see if that helps at all.

Thanks,
Laura
I would try the pull ups & diaper doublers or the goodnites (perhaps tape them to make them smaller).

I'm not sure if a fan, or sound machine, would help as wouldn't that cause her to sleep more soundly?

Why don't you try setting two alarms (one for her and one for you) for three hours (or whatever time seems the best) after her bedtime and get up and remind her to empty her bladder? I have heard that works very well for some children. Heck, I know plenty of adults who need to wake up in the middle of the night to urinate.

Good luck.

Old 09-27-2018, 03:29 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,947,673 times
My cousins wet the bed until they were nearly in middle school. They turned out just fine. I'm sure she will outgrow this.

Old 09-27-2018, 03:31 PM

Or...how about just using the mattress protector/pad...and no sheets? I'd still have whatever makes her comfortable in her bed...pillow and blankets...but while going through this phase...just...not put a sheet on the bed?

Old 09-27-2018, 03:47 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,192,076 times
Quote:
Thanks, whats troubling for me is that from what I have read, bedwetting is usually due to a heavy sleeper and the child doesn't wake up when they have the urge to go. She isn't a heavy sleeper at all and the fact that she doesn't wake up before OR after boggles my mind. I do want to say that when I do wake her up in the middle of the night (when she does not have school the next day) she will tell me she doesn't have to go and sometimes wont make the attempt to try. I cant exactly carry her to the bathroom or make her actually go so her refusing to even try aggravates me as well. If she truly wants to stop, than she would make the effort to go to the bathroom when given the opportunity right?
Thanks for the link, I will take a look at it.

Thanks,
Laura
Does she? Not criticizing. But could you have unwittingly gotten the two of you into a subconscious power struggle? You mention pull ups and say they don't work. What does not work about them?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting