Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2019, 02:41 PM

1 posts, read 1,525 times

Advertisements

I've always been one to keep my kids active. All kinds of activities, sports, travel, anything to keep them busy and learning. My son, who is 12, has friends over often and I always keep the kids busy never letting them sit in the house. We do all kinds of fun things (trampoline park, go kart racing, sports, museums, etc).

In any case his best friend who he's known for a year stopped coming over our house. I spoke to the mother and she informed me that the father does not want the kid over our house anymore. The reason? The kid was always talking about how much fun we had an all the things I did for the kid, so the father (who is in and out of jail, broke as a joke, etc) got pissed off. He felt like I was stepping on his toes as the father because the kid always talked highly about me.

I mean seriously is this how people think? So a kid doesn't want to just vegetate at home doing nothing all day, enjoys spending time with me and my kid because we actually do things, and I'M THE BAD GUY??? Has anyone else experienced this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2019, 02:49 PM

2,454 posts, read 3,217,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandiskman View Post
I've always been one to keep my kids active. All kinds of activities, sports, travel, anything to keep them busy and learning. My son, who is 12, has friends over often and I always keep the kids busy never letting them sit in the house. We do all kinds of fun things (trampoline park, go kart racing, sports, museums, etc).

In any case his best friend who he's known for a year stopped coming over our house. I spoke to the mother and she informed me that the father does not want the kid over our house anymore. The reason? The kid was always talking about how much fun we had an all the things I did for the kid, so the father (who is in and out of jail, broke as a joke, etc) got pissed off. He felt like I was stepping on his toes as the father because the kid always talked highly about me.

I mean seriously is this how people think? So a kid doesn't want to just vegetate at home doing nothing all day, enjoys spending time with me and my kid because we actually do things, and I'M THE BAD GUY??? Has anyone else experienced this?
Welcome to City-Data!

Old 03-26-2019, 02:53 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,385,679 times
They are probably jealous because you can afford these activities and they can't.

Old 03-26-2019, 03:06 PM

356 posts, read 176,034 times
Yes, but in our case it wasn't necessarily all about paid entertainment events.

And also in the one case that sticks out, the friend mouthed off to her mom about it, which precipitated her (the mom's) response.

Old 03-27-2019, 09:52 AM

325 posts, read 207,808 times
It DOES NOT matter what you think you are providing or contributing to another child's life if their time spent with you is disruptive or creating strife within another family unit.

Old 03-27-2019, 10:05 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,029,628 times
Come on. You know you're not the bad guy. This man's son held a mirror up to the dad, and the dad didn't like what he saw. The issue is with the other dad. Not you. Too bad for the son though.

Old 03-27-2019, 10:14 AM

38 posts, read 21,092 times
It's not your fault, in fact, I think the kid deserves to have as much fun as he can get.

Old 03-27-2019, 10:41 AM

325 posts, read 207,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
They are probably jealous because you can afford these activities and they can't.

I would suggest not always defaulting to "they are probably jealous" rationale. We are quite comfortable and have many friends and acquaintances who are of limited means and also extreme wealth. When our kids were growing up... there were times contact with both groups were limited due to a variety of reasons. Extended family is also not "precluded" or immune from having contact limited.

Parents have many responsibilities when making child-rearing decisions and what may be "acceptable" or "normal" for one family is NOT for another.

Last edited by CentralUSHomeowner; 03-27-2019 at 11:13 AM..

Old 03-27-2019, 11:04 AM

2,997 posts, read 3,104,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandiskman View Post

Yeah, it's messed up that the father has that kind of reaction, and it's his kid who will suffer because of it. But honestly? I would just shrug my shoulders, walk away, and leave his kid alone, so as not to end up on a 20/20 special or the ID Channel.

Old 03-27-2019, 11:42 AM

2,373 posts, read 1,914,949 times
How long does he usually get in jail? If you hear about him in jail next time just call mom and say you're spending the afternoon with your son and he wonders if you could take his friend along. She should understand you know the dad's not home.

It would be nice to keep a hand in at least while dad's away. Give him the impression you're helping and when dad's home you bow out...or both of you can go to a park, sit and talk while the boys...whatever...play basketball. Just a short time.

Dad may see you're not so bad and allow it under certain circumstances.

Thing is, you son seems to enjoy the boy (although do watch for signs the boy may head in dad's direction and be a bad example even before you realize it) and a good boy could benefit from a good role model at least now and then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting