Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2023, 08:00 PM

28,890 posts, read 30,255,037 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmed hour View Post
If your teacher friend has a Masters in Psychology, she should have an understanding of what confirmation bias is. J/S.

As someone who also has a Psych Masters, along with an MPH, IMO (based on my education and training)... very few children are inherently "bad". There are myriad reasons why children are viewed as not acting in the manner an adult may find socially acceptable. Maybe it's poor parenting, or just maybe a child is neurodivergent...

When there is a formal diagnosis of ADHD (often with another co-occurring disorder), concurrent with the possibility of medication, behavior modification therapies are offered, as are parental management interventions.

There are around 26 million children under the age of 17 in the US, around 7-8%% are diagnosed with ADHD and a little more than half of that is medicated.

There goes the theory that RITALIN and other CNSS medications are handed out like candy.

Back in the 1960s, my aunt was tied to her chair in school because she "couldn't stop fidgeting and maintain focus". Well, as an adult she was diagnosed with ADHD, and accepted behavior modification interventions and medication, along with a learning disorder (see how those things tend to co-occur). Know what happened? She learned how to read above a 3rd grade levelat 50 years old cause she could FINALLY stop the racing mind. She spent 2/3 of her life functionally illiterate.
back then, they called it a hyperactive child...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2023, 05:32 AM

5,655 posts, read 3,141,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
the child was a toddler, and it doesn't matter how old the child is, it is her responsiblity to say "NO" she said nothing, just left him hit her, again and again...sorry that is wrong....this thread is not about me, my friend the teacher or the kids....or if the teacher friend is qualified...I said what I said and I'm sticking to it, just b/c you don't agree, doesn't make it not true, and bottom line is, I don't know any of you, so I'm certainly not saying your child or anyone else's child in here doesn't have ADHD....so lets move on....no need to take offense and if you do, I'm sorry you do.
But sometimes I do wonder about the veracity of your statements so I seek clarification.

Old 02-09-2023, 10:01 AM

2,465 posts, read 2,760,712 times
Quote:
back then, they called it a hyperactive child...
Yes, and my poor grandmother had 4 of her 6 like that. All 6 are each 11 months apart. I don't know how she did it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
Things have changed a lot in child rearing since we were all brought up. American kids have been diagnosed with ADHD at an alarming rate. European kids have not- wonder why???

4 Reasons Why ADHD Is Epidemic in America (but not in Europe)

You are not going to fix the issues she has with not raising her child properly (for whatever reasons- single mother, etc). I think you need to face the fact that you need to end this relationship unless you want this out-of control kid-teenager-adult in your life forever. She will always chose him over you.
That's purely an anecdotal opinion piece, published back in 2016. The author provides zero data or other scientific evidence. In fact, it actually fits in with the overall lack of training attached to ADHD among European practitioners and resources available to children/parents and providers until very recently.

Here's an some actual scientific data deemed valid and reliable: https://link.springer.com/article/10...787-018-1256-3

Since the EU has accepted a change in guidelines and many countries' increasing funding, diagnoses have risen, and stats, adjusted for population, are tracking the same as the US.

Last edited by charmed hour; 02-09-2023 at 10:35 AM..

Old 02-09-2023, 12:19 PM

This is from the CDC Center for Disease Control....

Many children with ADHD also have other disorders
According to a national 2016 parent survey,1 6 in 10 children with ADHD had at least one other mental, emotional, or behavioral disorder:

About half of the children with ADHD had a behavior or conduct problem.

About 3 in 10 children with ADHD had anxiety.
Other conditions affecting children with ADHD: depression, autism spectrum disorder, and Tourette syndrome.

in the case of this child discussed here by the OP, I would be willing to bet, it's a behavioral problem...

Not to mention, if a child is on meds who knows what the side effects will be down the road...Your talking all kinds of side effects....

I would myself, not want to put my child on meds, but rather from a young age on, teach them to self sooth, self entertain, and when to be quiet, when to say please and thank you, and hitting is off limits, period.

As I said, the woman who put up the video of her toddler hitting her, several times, said nothing to stop it...not STOP, or NO, nothing...just allowed the kids to continue to hit her, which encourages this bad behavior.

I am not talking about anyone here, I don't know your or your kids...but as I said before, I stand by what I said....a whole lot of kids have behavioral problems....

Medications are not always the problem solver!

Old 02-10-2023, 03:32 AM

Quote:

According to a national 2016 parent survey,1 6 in 10 children with ADHD had at least one other mental, emotional, or behavioral disorder:

Other conditions affecting children with ADHD: depression, autism spectrum disorder, and Tourette syndrome.

in the case of this child discussed here by the OP, I would be willing to bet, it's a behavioral problem...

Not to mention, if a child is on meds who knows what the side effects will be down the road...Your talking all kinds of side effects....

I would myself, not want to put my child on meds, but rather from a young age on, teach them to self sooth, self entertain, and when to be quiet, when to say please and thank you, and hitting is off limits, period.

As I said, the woman who put up the video of her toddler hitting her, several times, said nothing to stop it...not STOP, or NO, nothing...just allowed the kids to continue to hit her, which encourages this bad behavior.

I am not talking about anyone here, I don't know your or your kids...but as I said before, I stand by what I said....a whole lot of kids have behavioral problems....

You should take a gander at what the DSM classifies as behavior disorders. They’re not the run of the mill “he just doesn’t listen”, or “mom doesn’t parent” behavior issues. They are serious, serious issues.
https://wiregrass.libguides.com/c.ph...4445&p=7583281

https://www.psychiatry.org/patients-...ol-and-conduct

Old 02-10-2023, 05:35 AM

5,655 posts, read 3,141,549 times
Quote:

What side effects Cremebrulee? What is your experience with medications for ADHD?

Old 02-10-2023, 12:58 PM

Quote:
charmed hour You should take a gander at what the DSM classifies as behavior disorders. They’re not the run of the mill “he just doesn’t listen”, or “mom doesn’t parent” behavior issues. They are serious, serious issues.
https://wiregrass.libguides.com/c.ph...4445&p=7583281
I am not saying they are not serious issues, geeze louise, what I'm saying is, those that I've seen and others have seen are not serious issues and simply behaviorial problems...

Just as every single ADHD issue, isn't identically the same as others....some are he just doesn't listen, or mom isn't a very good parent who disciplines....there are those out there yanno....why are you taking it so personal....I don't even know you or the extent of your child's problems, period...end of story? Sorry but your taking this over the top.

Old 02-10-2023, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnazzyB View Post
What side effects Cremebrulee? What is your experience with medications for ADHD?
I have no experience with ADHD drugs, but I do know, and so should you, no matter what drug you take, or injest there is always a chance of side effects, either immediate or long term....later in life anything can arrise, like steralization, cancers, mental health problems....etc, drugd are chemicals....even a antibiotic can cause a reaction or side effect, a tylenol....they are compounded with chemicals....

ADHD drugs may be tied to some mental health issues, but it's rare. For instance, some people have reported behavior problems like aggression and hostility. Others say they developed symptoms of bipolar disorder. Other side effects are loss of appetite, weight loss
delayed growthTrusted Source in adolescents, sleep disturbances and tics

The FDA has also warned that there's a slight risk that stimulant ADHD drugs could lead to mood swings or symptoms of psychosis -- like hearing things and paranoia, Allergy or sensitivity to stimulants, Glaucoma, Liver or kidney disease, History of mental illness, Motor tics or Tourette's syndrome
Overactive thyroid, etc...again, not everyone responds the same, and others suffer long term effects

I worked for a pharmaceutical, but even before I knew as a young adult that there is risk taking any kind of drug or medication as not everyone responds the same depending on their immune systems, their chemical balance or imbalances, etc...drugs are chemicals, and while instintaneous side effects may not show long term they might....and you should know this....that is why some drugs are black boxed, b/c there is risk....and there is always a risk when taking medications...

that is why the drug companies ask, for immediate phone calls from any side effects no matter how small...they want to know they want to log them...and study how many suffer what side effects there is no guarentee that there won't be any side effects now or long term....

Last edited by cremebrulee; 02-10-2023 at 01:23 PM..

Old 02-10-2023, 01:26 PM

Quote:
I am not saying they are not serious issues, geeze louise, what I'm saying is, those that I've seen and others have seen are not serious issues and simply behaviorial problems...

Just as every single ADHD issue, isn't identically the same as others....some are he just doesn't listen, or mom isn't a very good parent who disciplines....there are those out there yanno....why are you taking it so personal....I don't even know you or the extent of your child's problems, period...end of story? Sorry but your taking this over the top.
My issue is you are making purely anecdotal statements. You quite literally have no experience or knowledge of behavior disorders, because if you did you would certainly understand about a teacher having confirmation bias and is not qualified to make a diagnosis, understanding the prevalence of a diagnosis isn't indicative of jumping on a bandwagon for a label or that practitioners are making a "fashionable" diagnosis without a solid clinical basis.

I, too, agree that some children are poorly parented but on the other side of that coin, there are children with actual issues and you can't make the distinction simply based on how a child acts/parent reacts to the brief interaction you see.

Old 02-10-2023, 01:38 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,943,092 times
But we digress...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting