Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2023, 01:45 PM

5,655 posts, read 3,139,106 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
I have no experience with ADHD drugs, but I do know, and so should you, no matter what drug you take, or injest there is always a chance of side effects, either immediate or long term....later in life anything can arrise, like steralization, cancers, mental health problems....etc, drugd are chemicals....even a antibiotic can cause a reaction or side effect, a tylenol....they are compounded with chemicals....

ADHD drugs may be tied to some mental health issues, but it's rare. For instance, some people have reported behavior problems like aggression and hostility. Others say they developed symptoms of bipolar disorder. Other side effects are loss of appetite, weight loss
delayed growthTrusted Source in adolescents, sleep disturbances and tics

The FDA has also warned that there's a slight risk that stimulant ADHD drugs could lead to mood swings or symptoms of psychosis -- like hearing things and paranoia, Allergy or sensitivity to stimulants, Glaucoma, Liver or kidney disease, History of mental illness, Motor tics or Tourette's syndrome
Overactive thyroid, etc...again, not everyone responds the same, and others suffer long term effects

I worked for a pharmaceutical, but even before I knew as a young adult that there is risk taking any kind of drug or medication as not everyone responds the same depending on their immune systems, their chemical balance or imbalances, etc...drugs are chemicals, and while instintaneous side effects may not show long term they might....and you should know this....that is why some drugs are black boxed, b/c there is risk....and there is always a risk when taking medications...

that is why the drug companies ask, for immediate phone calls from any side effects no matter how small...they want to know they want to log them...and study how many suffer what side effects there is no guarentee that there won't be any side effects now or long term....
Well gosh, MAYBE that's why there's so much testing involved to get a diagnosis and monthly check-ins...you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2023, 02:02 PM

9,285 posts, read 14,890,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charmed hour View Post
Here's an some actual scientific data deemed valid and reliable: https://link.springer.com/article/10...787-018-1256-3

Since the EU has accepted a change in guidelines and many countries' increasing funding, diagnoses have risen, and stats, adjusted for population, are tracking the same as the US.
That's not what your link says. It asserts that as many as 4% in the UK "are eligible" for a diagnosis.

10% in the US are diagnosed and rising.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/08/31/healt...ner/index.html

ADHD "diagnoses" are one of the biggest scams perpetrated on the American public since it became popularized. And the criteria keeps getting broadened and liberalized in every successive DSM.

I know whereof I speak. The original diagnosis of ADHD began at Bradley Hospital in East Providence, RI, in the 1930s. Some children had certain brain injuries demonstrated and shown by EEGs. It was found that putting pre-pubescent children on amphetamines calmed down their erratic brain function. They were hospitalized. That was legitimate medicine at the time.

Now parents are allowing their children to take amphetamine based drugs for ADHD at home for years based on wide behavioral criteria, much of which goes from A to Z and a lot of which arises from poor parenting and poor disciplinary approaches- not EEGs. It's convenient for parents and convenient for (some) school teachers (although I have the greatest sympathy for public school teachers). IEPs are widespread in the public schools now and the schools are failing. Meanwhile, parents keep demanding more and more "accommodations" for their poorly brought up children. Little is being done to rectify any of this.

Of course, so many justify this by saying that we have "better mental health diagnoses" in the US. I think the phenomenon is largely culturally driven, unless you think that US children are naturally more sick.

An article on why Japan isn't more like the US -as if anyone had to ask.

https://nyuscholars.nyu.edu/en/publi...al-perspective

Old 02-10-2023, 02:08 PM

2,465 posts, read 2,759,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
That's not what your link says. It asserts that as many as 4% in the UK "are eligible" for a diagnosis.

ADHD "diagnoses" are one of the biggest scams perpetrated on the American public since it became popularized. And the criteria keeps getting broadened and liberalized in every successive DSM.

I know whereof I speak. The original diagnosis of ADHD began at Bradley Hospital in East Providence, RI, in the 1930s. Some children had certain brain injuries demonstrated and shown by EEGs. It was found that putting pre-pubescent children on amphetamines calmed down their erratic brain function. They were hospitalized. That was legitimate medicine at the time.

Now parents are allowing their children to take amphetamine based drugs for ADHD at home for years based on wide behavioral criteria, much of which goes from A to Z and a lot of which arises from poor parenting and poor disciplinary approaches- not EEGs. It's convenient for parents and convenient for (some) school teachers (although I have the greatest sympathy for public school teachers). IEPs are widespread in the public schools now and the schools are failing. Meanwhile, parents keep demanding more and more "accommodations" for their poorly brought up children. Little is being done to rectify any of this.

Of course, so many justify this by saying that we have "better mental health diagnoses" in the US. I think the phenomenon is largely culturally driven, unless you think that US children are naturally more sick.

Your data points are nearly 5 years old. Google Scholar can be filtered into a more narrow range and you can read the quantiative data that is more current than 2018. There are several metanalysis articles from 2020-present about both US and EU statistics.

I'm not going to even attempt to speak to the rest of your post, because frankly, we're on polar sides and it's not worth the finger clicks. :P

Old 02-10-2023, 03:35 PM

28,890 posts, read 30,251,580 times
Quote:

Very well said, thank you, and yes, I read that article, quit the eye opener

Old 02-10-2023, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnazzyB View Post
Well gosh, MAYBE that's why there's so much testing involved to get a diagnosis and monthly check-ins...you think?
you asked for side effects proof, I gave it to you, and yet you still insist on being snarky...Snazzy, this conversation is over. Sorry your upset.

Old 02-10-2023, 03:51 PM

A lot of young mothers making videos insist on Gentle parenting, which some of which seems to be make sense, but there is a line to be drawn like everything else everything in moderation....children still need to be disciplined....an understand there are things we just cannot do or act out...hitting, biting, talking back or disrespecting someone's personal space...parenting is to me, a great responsiblity, and we owe it to society to do the very best we can do as a parent.

Dear OP, whatever you decide to do...I hope you have your own health in great consideration b/c something like this can certainly put a strain on someone's life.

I don't know that I'd be up for dealing with the stress that goes along with it, plus, it's bad enough when a husband and wife disagree with discipline but when blended families do so, it can be extremely draining on the relationship.

Wish you the best.

Old 02-12-2023, 03:21 PM

2,281 posts, read 1,581,021 times
Like Red's assistants do in the Blacklist. They leave and clean the place up like they were never there.

Get out !!! I've seen this story before and with worse participants (grandmom and brother(uncle)

You could end up wasting a decade or two of your life on arguing how to raise a child to become a responsible person in society.

Old 02-12-2023, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmed hour View Post
Y
I'm not going to even attempt to speak to the rest of your post, because frankly, we're on polar sides and it's not worth the finger clicks. :P
Absolutely. Your mind is made up- so I won't confuse you with the facts. Some people will give their children amphetamines regardless. I find it very sad.

Old 02-12-2023, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
Very well said, thank you, and yes, I read that article, quit the eye opener
Thank you. I am glad you are willing to consider other viewpoints.

Old 02-13-2023, 02:58 PM

2,465 posts, read 2,759,921 times
Quote:
Absolutely. Your mind is made up- so I won't confuse you with the facts. Some people will give their children amphetamines regardless. I find it very sad.
Oh, Lord. Facts such as I can read and actually understand data based on my education and training in the field of Psychology? I don't rely on 3rd parties to interpret *cough* to misinterpret *cough* scientifically valid research. I could go on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting