Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2009, 01:22 PM

2,027 posts, read 4,210,310 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICvegan View Post
I grew up around guns. My father was a cop and in the army reserves. We had loaded guns of all sorts all over the house all the time. My sister and I never touched one. We were taught not to. He took us rabbit hunting one day so we could see exactly what guns do. We never touched a gun.....even now, I will not touch a gun. However, I do think my dad was wrong to leave loaded weapons in easy reach of young children and I think that if he had it to do over, he would not do that again.

I also think that this boy should be charged with the murder of that baby. I'm assuming the baby died as well since there was no mention of anyone managing to cut open the poor dead mother to save the baby.

Horrible...just horrible.
Yeah, I found a different article that said the baby died in a matter of minutes due to lack of oxygen. I believe there was a lag time between the shooting and the woman's daughter telling someone on the property that her mom wouldn't move. The son had already gotten on the school bus and headed to school for the day before she was found.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2009, 01:26 PM

1,986 posts, read 4,068,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tangodoodles View Post
That's true, I believe he probably would have killed her anyway. But maybe he would have reconsidered if he didn't have easy access to his gun. She also might have been able to fight back if she hadn't been shot in the back of the head.
Or maybe he would have used a shovel, or bat, or rock, or cast iron skillet, or rolling pin, or ax, or lead pipe, or ... . The list is endless.

Why is it that people think death by a gun is so much worse than death by anything else that nobody would ever think of locking up?

Old 02-22-2009, 04:19 PM
Gue

24,118 posts, read 10,144,860 times
Unbelievable! So sad. I wonder if they will ever release why he did it?

Old 02-22-2009, 04:24 PM

2,027 posts, read 4,210,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gue View Post
Unbelievable! So sad. I wonder if they will ever release why he did it?
In the article I read, not the one posted, he allegedly did it out of jealousy and he supposedly told his cousin he was going to do it before he actually did.

Old 02-22-2009, 05:51 PM

575 posts, read 3,694,923 times
Supposedly he was insanely jealous over his fathers girlfriend (dead woman)

This young criminally insane loser... needs to be tried as an adult for double murder and prosecuted to the fullest extent. He is a mental waste. Life in prison with no parole is not severe enough.

Old 02-23-2009, 05:38 AM

1,462 posts, read 4,868,747 times
Regardless of whether or not you were taught to use the gun properly and regardless of whether or not it was locked or unlocked and regardless of the fact that you "touched" the gun...they do go off by accident and bullets do ricochet off of things and people do get hurt. LOCK THE DANG THING UP when not in use. I am not anti gun just anti lack of responsibility on the part of the adults involved. Oh, by the way, this kid that shot his Dad's Fiance...he is kind of whacked out for sure..read the news today and in the meantime...LOCK UP THOSE GUNS.

Old 02-23-2009, 07:30 AM

2,467 posts, read 4,861,964 times
I tell you, this story just makes me sick. What is wrong with society and kids today? Why do so many feel the need to kill someone for such pathetic reasons? (not that there is ever a good reason to kill someone other than self defense) I put the blame on so many things, like lack of good parenting, too much violent television and video games. I think people have become numb to death, murder and responsibility.

The sad thing is, I saw the boys mug shot and he looks like he's not much older than 8 yo. I hate the thought of an 11 yo. being tried as an adult, but in this case I hope he swings for this horrible act, especially if he killed her because he was jealous. I also think that if they find out there was some bad parenting issues that brought this about, then the parents need to face some charges as well. Maybe if more parents that raised killers had to face some consequences for bad parenting rather than being used an as excuse for the killer's actions, it might make more parents try and do a better job of parenting.

Old 02-23-2009, 07:45 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,541,470 times
I'm not going to get into the whole tired gun dispute because it really isn't the issue.

The issue is that he did it and obviously shows no remorse. That's scarier than any weapon.

11 is too young to completely understand the consequences for his actions. No more than the 8 year old that shot and killed his father.

I hope they both get the help they need

Old 02-23-2009, 08:19 AM

1,848 posts, read 4,685,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormy night View Post
Or maybe he would have used a shovel, or bat, or rock, or cast iron skillet, or rolling pin, or ax, or lead pipe, or ... . The list is endless.

Why is it that people think death by a gun is so much worse than death by anything else that nobody would ever think of locking up?
Yep, especially if he was taught that hunting is fun in inconsequential. He could have been a spear hunter or bow and arrow hunter. Point is, the kiddo was no stranger to sneaking up on a being and taking a life.

Old 02-23-2009, 08:43 AM

515 posts, read 1,330,664 times
This doesn't seem like a stable family. A 26 year old with an 11 year old, 7 year old, 4 year old and another on the way? geez.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting