Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 08:47 AM

3,842 posts, read 10,516,029 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyoquilter View Post
The sad thing is, I saw the boys mug shot and he looks like he's not much older than 8 yo. I hate the thought of an 11 yo. being tried as an adult, but in this case I hope he swings for this horrible act, especially if he killed her because he was jealous. I also think that if they find out there was some bad parenting issues that brought this about, then the parents need to face some charges as well. Maybe if more parents that raised killers had to face some consequences for bad parenting rather than being used an as excuse for the killer's actions, it might make more parents try and do a better job of parenting.
I think most now without even it being reported yet that this boy will be diagnoised or has been diagnosed with some sort of mental issue; that he told his friends or teachers prior to this that he was going to do this; that dad was aware that the son had jealousy issues or dad had parenting issues with the son....so on & so on...

There needs to be some law in place that holds parents accountable for this if it is proven that had the gun been locked up, the murder could have been avoided. As someone else mentioned, this does not mean the boy would not have figured out another way to kill her. It's just that the shotgun was the easiest thing he had in his possession.

The father has to live the rest of his life with a child who killed his finance & unborn child. That alone has destroyed this man forever.

The child will become a ward of the state & passed around to every institution or therapist & never ever be able to live a productive life.

Bad parenting? Probably. Parents with issues? Probably. Child with issues. Most definitely.

I'm also finding the 26yr old pregnant girlfriend living with the boyfriend & she already had two other children....not the most conventional lifestyle for an 11yr old...nor one that I really find acceptable for an 11yr old to be in.

The father had rights to that gun. But he messed up really, really bad. And consequences will be paid.

From the little I've heard about this, I just have a feeling that if the gun had been properly locked up, this would not have happened. But maybe it would have....

Just a tragedy that was probably avoidable even if guns were not part of the equation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2009, 09:18 AM

1,059 posts, read 2,695,883 times
We could beat the gun issue until we're blue in the face.
My feeling is the father should also be held accountable for this. Granted he did not physically pull the trigger...but he help promote the issue. How? because the gun and Ammo was easy access.
Granted, this boy may have found another way to do this horrific crime profided the gun was not there.
I'm not going to comment on the family situation or judge them, because frankly...its not our place to do so. what i am going to say is he told others before hand that he was going to do. Why in todays society do people want to stay quiet on issues such as this magnitude, But yet, if a parent swats their child on the bottom because they are acting out in a store...they run and tell someone. (whole other issue i know)
My pain is with the little girl who has to live without her mommy.

Old 02-23-2009, 10:06 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,787,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Connecticut Pam View Post
I could not believe the news on CNN this morning. An 11 year old boy shot and killed his Dad's Fiance with a "Child sized" shotgun. He shot the woman in the back of the head. She was 8 mos. pregnant; due to deliver in 2 weeks. This woman's 4 year old daughter ran next door to the neighbor for help telling the neighbor, "my mommy won't wake up". Do you believe that an 11 year old should have a shotgun that is sized special for him? I was totally outraged when I heard this news. This child is being charged like an adult with murder on two counts. What about the nutcase Father who got him the gun to begin with?
Here we go with more anti-gun craze nonsense.

At eleven years old I had been hunting with my father and my family for years. I understood the danger that any gun can pose, I had good "gun etiquette" and knew how to be safe. It is not beyond an 11 year old to trustworthy with tools and weapons, whether it is a saw, a hammer, a pocketknife or a gun. This isn't to say that supervision is not required and that common-sense precaution isn't warranted, but the belief that responsibility can not be expected of an 11-year-old is a complete fallacy.

Most of my parents' guns were locked in a safe, but I knew where a shotgun for home-defence was, I knew where the ammunition was, I knew how to use the gun and I knew not to mess with it. This is generally the rule that the boy from the CNN clip is the exception to. Ready-access to firearms does not necessarily equate to violence.

To me, this says more about the boy and his parenting than anything else. I remember being eleven years old and I remember hunting and shooting at that age. I understood perfectly well what happens to something on the dangerous end of a shotgun when the trigger is pulled and I understood that when someone dies it is forever.

The boy knew what he was doing. A boy who can make that kind of decision is dangerous with or without guns in the house. A gun is a completely neutral, inert object without a human to wield it and it is simply a neutral tool in the hands of a well-trained, cautious human.

Old 02-23-2009, 10:36 AM

2,467 posts, read 4,862,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
Here we go with more anti-gun craze nonsense.

At eleven years old I had been hunting with my father and my family for years. I understood the danger that any gun can pose, I had good "gun etiquette" and knew how to be safe. It is not beyond an 11 year old to trustworthy with tools and weapons, whether it is a saw, a hammer, a pocketknife or a gun. This isn't to say that supervision is not required and that common-sense precaution isn't warranted, but the belief that responsibility can not be expected of an 11-year-old is a complete fallacy.

Most of my parents' guns were locked in a safe, but I knew where a shotgun for home-defence was, I knew where the ammunition was, I knew how to use the gun and I knew not to mess with it. This is generally the rule that the boy from the CNN clip is the exception to. Ready-access to firearms does not necessarily equate to violence.

To me, this says more about the boy and his parenting than anything else. I remember being eleven years old and I remember hunting and shooting at that age. I understood perfectly well what happens to something on the dangerous end of a shotgun when the trigger is pulled and I understood that when someone dies it is forever.

The boy knew what he was doing. A boy who can make that kind of decision is dangerous with or without guns in the house. A gun is a completely neutral, inert object without a human to wield it and it is simply a neutral tool in the hands of a well-trained, cautious human.
I agree whole heartedly that the gun did not kill this gal, the kid did. If he was that intent on killing her he would have found another method or weapon for killing her if there was no gun.

It is not unreasonable to expect an 11 yo. to understand the dangers of a gun and to understand the finality of death. Being that he used the gun for hunting I'm sure he knew that death waited on the end of the barrel and he had to know and understand that death is forever.

Heck even my 8yo who has never hunted still knows and understands that guns are dangerous and death is final. She has known and understood that for years.

Old 02-23-2009, 11:25 AM

350 posts, read 1,117,904 times
I don't know what's going on in the world. Guns have been around forever. We have more access to global news at our fingertips up to the minute... do we just have more access to these horrible stories than we did in the last 40 years? I don't ever remember kids killing parents and classmates at the rate it seems to be happening now... I believe its 2 things... violence (video games) and the breakdown of the family. Kids see things today that would have my head reeling when i was a child. Death is like a game or make believe. This country needs to stop and start over again. Its crazy.

Old 02-23-2009, 11:45 AM

2,027 posts, read 4,210,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cherry251 View Post
This doesn't seem like a stable family. A 26 year old with an 11 year old, 7 year old, 4 year old and another on the way? geez.
It was a blended family, the dad had the 11 year old, the mom had the 7 year old and the 4 year old, and the mom and dad were going to have the baby together. She was the boy's stepmom, I'm not sure if they were married though.

Old 02-23-2009, 11:51 AM

14,975 posts, read 16,468,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tangodoodles View Post
It was a blended family, the dad had the 11 year old, the mom had the 7 year old and the 4 year old, and the mom and dad were going to have the baby together. She was the boy's stepmom, I'm not sure if they were married though.
They weren't married. Another poster mentioned "not the most convential lifestyle for an 11 year old" and I agree with that statement completely. I don't approve of people who have live-in BF's/GF's when they have kids. When kids are involved, IMO, there absolutely needs to be a marriage before moving in.

The 11 year old is of course terribly in the wrong and needs to be punished severely but his anger/jealousy over the situation is very understable. I wouldn't EVER agree with trying an 11 year old as an adult no matter what. IMO they need to be at least 14 or so before that should even be a consideration.

As far as the gun, he could have found a way to commit the murder without the gun but access to the gun could have made it far more tempting and he might not have actually if the gun was out of the picture.

Old 02-23-2009, 11:53 AM

5,501 posts, read 22,454,356 times
Obviously more going on in this family than we are led to know about. A young boy doesn't just pick up a gun and shoot someone. He probably was abused as a child.

Old 02-23-2009, 11:54 AM

14,975 posts, read 16,468,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 121804 View Post
There needs to be some law in place that holds parents accountable for this if it is proven that had the gun been locked up, the murder could have been avoided.
In my state (TX) and in many others, there ARE already laws against this.

Old 02-23-2009, 12:03 PM

2,467 posts, read 4,862,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momojojo View Post
I don't know what's going on in the world. Guns have been around forever. We have more access to global news at our fingertips up to the minute... do we just have more access to these horrible stories than we did in the last 40 years? I don't ever remember kids killing parents and classmates at the rate it seems to be happening now... I believe its 2 things... violence (video games) and the breakdown of the family. Kids see things today that would have my head reeling when i was a child. Death is like a game or make believe. This country needs to stop and start over again. Its crazy.
Not that I believe in evolution such as Darwinism, but I do believe in life evolving to meet the ever changing enviroments. I think that since the beginning of time we have evolved from barbaric, to civilized, to barbaric to civilized, ...etc. Our once civilized societies are once again becoming more and more exposed to violence and sex and with each new generation we are evolving into people who are becoming more accepting of this and therefore going back to barbarianism. This ever circling cycling has been more noticable since recorded time. I'm sure it was happening even long before recorded time there just isn't any record of it.

The more we are exposed to violence and sex, the more barbaric the next generation becomes. Then somewhere down the road we will see less and less exposure to violence and sex as new laws and rules are created and society will start to become civilized until someone starts redefining the new laws and rules just as they have always done. Look at how much redefining has happened to the Bill of Rights since they were first written.

So much has changed in our enviroments the last 50 years, heck within the last 20 years that we starting to see things happening that we would have never even thought about happening. But if you read history books you will see that these things we are seeing today has happened before and chances are will happen again as long as life remains on this planet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting