Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2009, 01:51 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,512,087 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by miasmommy View Post
MY child IS outstanding! And YOU don't think YOUR child is? I highly doubt that. We all think our children are outstanding in one way or more.
The intent of this thread was to compare.

What is the doctor going to do with this list? Hang it up in the office for all parents to see? Is this doctor also a licensed child speech therapist or linguist so that he/she is well trained in this subject area?

Actually, that doctor sounds creepy.

No, I don't think my child is outstanding. I do not base the value of my child on checkoff boxes, achievements, and obsessiveness.

Again, start the thread that you are just itching to do...then list away! You are starting to make up stories to cover your tracks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2009, 01:52 PM

758 posts, read 1,872,220 times
I almost wrote something different but I decided against it. I think you are looking for kudos because your child is advanced and of course that means you are doing a suberb job at parenting. You just don't want people to think you are comparing so you throw in that some kids are doing more than yours. Maybe some of us are not buying that act because we have more than one child and know that you can do everthing the same and they don't all turn out the same or do things in the same timeline as the rest.

I was a first time mom once and I thought a little like you did but I was young. Trust us when we say " Every baby develops at different rates and that has little bearing on how well they do later in life ". Besides the problem with comparing is sometimes your child won't come out on top and that may leave you feeling inadequate.

Old 05-01-2009, 01:53 PM

Quote:
And again: What is wrong with comparing or contrasting?
The fact that you need to ask this is scary.

Old 05-01-2009, 01:55 PM

3,106 posts, read 9,124,720 times
Quote:
And again: What is wrong with comparing or contrasting? All it means is that someone is looking at the differences and similarities; THAT IS ALL!

It in no way defines the emotion or reason or personal conclusion one makes. And I am NOT making any judgemental conclusions on any of the answers I have heard here to day. I've never thought to myself "hey, my kid is worth so much more than these other kids" or "my kid is a genius and yours are not."

define:compare/contrast - Google Search
Actually, I was responding to YOUR question:

Quote:
Why is everyone bringing up this comaring thing? No one is comparing. Rather contrasting and there is nothing wrong with that. How do you know you love if you do not know hate. How do you know dark if you do not know light. How do you know run if you do not know walk.
And for the record, I am NOT insecure nor do I suspect are many of the other parents posting. Where are you getting that from?

I just think it's crazy to compare children's milestones in general because every child (even my twins born a minute apart but hitting their milestones at different stages) is different.

All I've been saying - not directed at you at all - that the keeping up with the joneses mentality when it comes to parenting is tiresome and can create undue stress for some parents.

Topics like this DO inevitably invite comparison and it's up to each parent to assess whether or not a call to the pediatrician for further assessment or EIC services is warranted.

Old 05-01-2009, 02:00 PM

1,636 posts, read 4,229,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skahar View Post
I almost wrote something different but I decided against it. I think you are looking for kudos because your child is advanced and of course that means you are doing a suberb job at parenting. You just don't want people to think you are comparing so you throw in that some kids are doing more than yours. Maybe some of us are not buying that act because we have more than one child and know that you can do everthing the same and they don't all turn out the same or do things in the same timeline as the rest.

I was a first time mom once and I thought a little like you did but I was young. Trust us when we say " Every baby develops at different rates and that has little bearing on how well they do later in life ". Besides the problem with comparing is sometimes your child won't come out on top and that may leave you feeling inadequate.

Nope. Sorry. And if you look back at the first page you will see that I was NOT the one that said that a child's intelligence is compared to how hard the parent works at it.

I don't want kudos. Believe me. I know how you people are. I know that none of you can ever say good job or compliment another's child or another's parenting. That is how insecure parents are. It is some of you who are threatened and feel bad for some strange reason. If children all develop differently then why is it a big deal that mine knows so much or that I have a great and involved doctor whom I've know for many many years?

Some parents are touchy. I am not. I am proud of my choices and my parenting and my child. If anyone has done different and has a child more advanced than mine, It would not make me feel any different and I sure as hell wouldn't be bashing that parent for being proud or inquiring.

You all need to take a good look in ther mirror. No matter how much support a couple of you have with a FEW posters is no reflection of the real world. You are few and far between that is for sure.

Geeez. Way to be negative and insulting and paranoid and the list goes on. It's amazing how you people can turn such a happy and kind person like me into someone who feels the need to defend herself to your kind. I don't know why I let you get to me.

I'm over it. Have your thead. You ruin half of them anyway.

*sigh* (always wanted to use the gesture thingy )

Old 05-01-2009, 02:26 PM

758 posts, read 1,872,220 times

Old 05-01-2009, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skahar View Post
Besides the problem with comparing is sometimes your child won't come out on top and that may leave you feeling inadequate.

That is my exact point. I think some of you are feeling just that. I am not. I have friends who have children that are/were doing things my child was not/is not at 13 months. I admit when my friends son was walking at 10 months I thought "I wish Mia would walk soon," but I in no way felt inadequate. And it didn't bother me that my friend mentioned it and was proud of her son. People are proud of their children. My intent of the thread was to see what other babies her age were doing. But yes, I adore my baby and would love to share the cute things she does as often as possible. Everyone does. It's normal

Old 05-01-2009, 02:39 PM

3,106 posts, read 9,124,720 times
Geez miasmommy! You're embarrassing yourself and you don't even know it.

Did you really HAVE to bump up the other thread? Did that make you feel better or did you aim to make others feel inadequate for your own gain?

Old 05-01-2009, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sampaguita View Post
Geez miasmommy! You're embarrassing yourself and you don't even know it.

Did you really HAVE to bump up the other thread? Did that make you feel better or did you aim to make others feel inadequate for your own gain?

I don't need to feel better remember? You all think I believe myself to be above all of you, remember?

I'm just using it as a quote or a source just like anyone else using the internet.

There are no "smilies" for this conversation.

Old 05-01-2009, 02:50 PM

Here's a word for the list!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

T R O L L
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting