Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2009, 03:45 PM

107 posts, read 287,400 times

Advertisements

Can't/Won't choose a name for you, but I can tell you what worked wonders for me and my husband.

After having literally pulled our hair out over the opinions and pressure from our families during my first pregnancy, we bought a dictionary of baby names. The next two times we were choosing baby names we brought a short list of names with us to the hospital and chose from the list upon seeing and holding each child for the first time. Each time we went into the delivery room with favorites & both times ended up choosing a different name off the list after having met our new bundles of joy. Worked like a charm and never heard another squawk out of family.
Congratulations on your up coming arrival....Enjoy every moment, they are such a blessing
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2009, 04:19 PM

758 posts, read 1,873,124 times
Our last 2 children did not have names until they were 2 days old because we couldn't decide. We thought that if we "met" them first it might be easier, it wasn't. They do have names now and they fit them just right. Curious OP is this your first? I thought the first was easiest to name because while I was growing up I knew all along what my firstborn's name would be, luckily she was a girl or it might not have turned out so well.

Old 05-29-2009, 04:33 PM

2,568 posts, read 6,753,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I think it's tacky to name children after expensive things---like Mercedes, Crystal, etc. Chanel is the same type of name to me.
Mercedes is Spanish name that has been around long before the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegirlinaz View Post
Pilar - No.. isn't that a french boy's name?
Nope a Spanish girls name.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatgirlwow View Post
And I think I will drop Pilar because I think the reactions I'm getting about names here are close to wht baby gets in real life. Its maybe Pillah?
No it is Pilar. Most commonly given in Spanish speaking countries as "Maria del Pilar". It is usually shortened to Pili, Mariapi or Maripi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisdol View Post
If I were meeting someone named Pilar, I would picture a beautiful woman with olive skin and long dark hair. That is the impression that name gives me. I think it is very pretty - but I would research it first since some people have mentioned it being a boy name.
You are describing a Spaniard.

Old 05-29-2009, 04:34 PM

61 posts, read 166,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skahar View Post
Our last 2 children did not have names until they were 2 days old because we couldn't decide. We thought that if we "met" them first it might be easier, it wasn't. They do have names now and they fit them just right. Curious OP is this your first? I thought the first was easiest to name because while I was growing up I knew all along what my firstborn's name would be, luckily she was a girl or it might not have turned out so well.
Yes its my first child. I liked Fallon from Dynasty. Thats why its on my list. hehe. And Ocean, Hunter, Summer but my SO thinks the last 3 are stripperish. And besides, its a winterish baby!

Old 05-29-2009, 04:38 PM

61 posts, read 166,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzie02 View Post
Mercedes is Spanish name that has been around long before the car.

Nope a Spanish girls name.

No it is Pilar. Most commonly given in Spanish speaking countries as "Maria del Pilar". It is usually shortened to Pili, Mariapi or Maripi.

You are describing a Spaniard.
Gracious Suzie! Is it "Pilar" or "Pillar" or " Pillah" or "Pilah". I heard of this name in Dynasty/dallas yrs ago & I loved it! Havent heard of it since. Not sure if everyone else is avoiding it like the plague?? Love it though!

Old 05-29-2009, 04:42 PM

2,568 posts, read 6,753,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatgirlwow View Post
Gracious Suzie! Is it "Pilar" or "Pillar" or " Pillah" or "Pilah". I heard of this name in Dynasty/dallas yrs ago & I loved it! Havent heard of it since. Not sure if everyone else is avoiding it like the plague?? Love it though!
It is Pilar. Pronounced Pelahr (don't now how to write phonetics).

Old 05-29-2009, 05:16 PM

4,253 posts, read 9,458,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzie02 View Post
It is Pilar. Pronounced Pelahr (don't now how to write phonetics).
I remembered now Pilar Ternera, a character in "One Hundred Years Of Solitude" by Gabriel Garcia Marquez.

Old 05-29-2009, 05:17 PM

161 posts, read 568,704 times
There was a Pilar (PEE-LAHR) on the soap Passions too.

I always thought Fallon was pretty (from Dynasty). Also Rhiannon and Gia, but I never had a girl.

For boys, if you like Phoenix, how about Griffin--head of an eagle, body of a lion? :-)

Old 05-29-2009, 05:26 PM

1,384 posts, read 4,296,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucyhoneychurch View Post
For boys, if you like Phoenix, how about Griffin--head of an eagle, body of a lion? :-)
I like the name Griffin for a boy, it has a good ring to it and is not too strange.

Old 05-29-2009, 05:52 PM

1,142 posts, read 2,817,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the3Ds View Post
A good friend of mine is named Kathryn but everyone calls her Kate. She grew up being called Katie which has stuck with her sister and those of us who have known her a while.

Another thing to consider is that so many parents are trying to find unique names that common names are now becoming the "unique" ones. There are 3 Kaitlyns, 2 Faiths and 2 Morgans (one is a boy and one is a girl) in my daughter's class! No one is named Rachel, Melissa, Jennifer, Kathryn anymore.
My daughter's name is Rachel Kathryn and it's perfect for her. I think Rachel is a strong female name. According to our name personality book the name evokes an image of a small, dark haired woman who is intelligent and beautiful. Except for the small part, that is my daughter to a T.

And by the way, she knows several Rachels in her school. I guess we are all a bit old fashioned and unique!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting