Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2009, 09:10 AM

4 posts, read 36,343 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
Nice personal attack there, cupcake. It's not my business how others discipline their children unless they're injuring the child, so cool your accusatory jets and take a chill pill. However, the OP asked the question, and I answered it. He should have worded it differently though, in order to be clear about what he meant.

You're the type of parent that a child grows up to resent, and who will leave you to rot in a dingy nursing home when you start needing your diaper changed and drool wiped off your chin.

Good luck with that, let us know how it goes for you.

Look, I don't know how much clear I need to be...there is no other way to word it and if there is make your suggestion! As far as resenting my parents because they spanked me, I would NEVER leave them to rot anywhere other than my arms while I rot with them. I understand as an adult now why they did the things they did and appreciate it because it raised the man I am today.

Old 10-27-2009, 09:11 AM

2,884 posts, read 5,933,140 times
Blanket accusations on either side are no good. Some kids respond to spankings. Some kids don't.

Find what works.

And there are many kids who were spanked who love their parents to this day, and give whatever support they need as they grow older.

Old 10-27-2009, 09:13 AM

3,360 posts, read 12,271,444 times
I'll give my short answer. Kids are born with their own intelligence and personality.

I have used the tap on the behind to get their attention but only once or twice and in a situation that was life saving to them such as when they were straining against me to run headlong without looking into the street with heavy oncoming traffic.

The rest of the time in training them I would use the phrase "this behavior is unacceptable" which always worked. Kids want your approval.

Old 10-27-2009, 10:35 AM

6,034 posts, read 10,685,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stangdrivin View Post
Look, I don't know how much clear I need to be...there is no other way to word it and if there is make your suggestion! As far as resenting my parents because they spanked me, I would NEVER leave them to rot anywhere other than my arms while I rot with them. I understand as an adult now why they did the things they did and appreciate it because it raised the man I am today.
I wasn't responding to you. You'd realize that if you took a look at the "spank early spank often" poster I quoted.

Old 10-27-2009, 10:53 AM

8,292 posts, read 26,684,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stangdrivin View Post
Ok, 1st and foremost I am new to the forum and this site but enjoy it! I have a 9 month old son and as a new parent I would like to think I'm doing well being that I have had experience in watching close friends with their kids and being the oldest of 5 within my family. My son is wonderful, very happy child, sees me and always greets me with a smile no matter what but lately it seems like he's trying to start his own personality and I don't want it going in the wrong direction. If I leave the room instead of him crying it sounds like he's just plain yelling until I come back in which it stops. I take him out and sit him with me while I get dressed in the morning and he's calm. I try to get him dressed and now it seems like he fights me on that also so I dont know if this is the beginning of things to come or if I stand firm will he understand? I think he does because when I tell him "NO" he will notice it and start crying...I just remember as a child me being spanked lightly (old school) as a reminder or as a startle to notice that I'm doing wrong, but at what age is that ok? I don't want him growing up as that child that no one wants to babysit or be around because he's now all of a sudden cranky all the time.

thoughts?
We regularly spanked our (now adult) children. We did not beat them. We did not whip them. We did not abuse them. And yes, we (gasp!) spanked them before they were out of diapers. It's called padding.

They grew up connecting consequences with behavior. They knew that we meant what we said, and as they grew older they learned fully that it was for their own good. They knew that when we were in a public place, and we told them to be quiet, that the appropriate response was not to scream and throw a tantrum. So they didn't do stuff like that.

Our kids grew up knowing who was in charge, and that it wasn't them. And that gave them a solid sense of security.

We regularly had strangers comment to us about how well-behaved our children were - when they were little. They have all three grown up to be extremely well adjusted, successful and happy young adults. I've asked each of them if they remember being spanked. All three do. I've asked if they felt it was wrong or in any way abusive. All three laughed, adding only that they couldn't believe we didn't spank them earlier.

Two things:
1. There's a big difference between spanking as discipline, and abuse. We did one, but not the other.
2. It's hard to argue with success.

Old 10-27-2009, 11:02 AM

53 posts, read 506,255 times
I would think that 9 months is too young to spank a child if you are going to use that as a form of discipline. At 9 months children don't understand something is forbidden or off limits. Once your child understands the boundaries you have laid out and exhibits a willfulness againts those boundaries that's when the behavior needs to be corrected. That's just my opinion, i have a 2 year old that I have never spanked and thinking back to when she was 9 months old.... It just seems pointless to discipline them at that age.

Old 10-27-2009, 11:07 AM

523 posts, read 3,805,845 times
i have two young children, and i have, on occasion, given them a light tap, usually on the backside, where it has been through both clothes and a diaper. and while i have no issue with people who do this, i would say that personally, it made me feel so terrible, that i wont be doing it again.

children, even very young ones, know when you are unhappy with them, and, in my opinion, there is a tone of voice you can use, without shouting, which gets the point across just as well.

they dont like the voice either, but it works, and it leaves me feeling not quite so guilty.

Old 10-27-2009, 11:11 AM

298 posts, read 998,816 times
When I was growing up in the 70's, most parents spanked their kids. I don't know what has happened recently that parents can't spank their kids (I don't mean beating their kid). It seems that there are a bunch of entitled and bratty kids/teenagers nowadays.

Old 10-27-2009, 11:14 AM

16 posts, read 257,800 times
9 months old?

You know,I can't help but think of my first and only child who was born stillborn,dead.

9 months old. wow,what I wouldn't give to have my daughter,and how beautiful she was.
When I do get to have my next baby,I will be sure to learn all of the great things I can do to prevent myself from ever hitting them.
To see this question regarding a 9 month old baby makes me want to vomit. And I couldn't care less the flak and yakking that will come from others about saying that.

To the op,there's a website called "A Place Of Our Own".
I think this would be the best place for you to ask a question on ideas to properly raise your baby.

Old 10-27-2009, 11:34 AM

8,292 posts, read 26,684,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eighty1 View Post
9 months old?

You know,I can't help but think of my first and only child who was born stillborn,dead.

9 months old. wow,what I wouldn't give to have my daughter,and how beautiful she was.
When I do get to have my next baby,I will be sure to learn all of the great things I can do to prevent myself from ever hitting them.
To see this question regarding a 9 month old baby makes me want to vomit. And I couldn't care less the flak and yakking that will come from others about saying that.

To the op,there's a website called "A Place Of Our Own".
I think this would be the best place for you to ask a question on ideas to properly raise your baby.
It's unfortunate that too many people wrongly think of "spanking" as "hitting." Spanking is about discipline. Hitting is about anger. Big difference.

As a side note... I've found that most of the "experts" in child-rearing - and a whole lot of school teachers as well - have the most horribly behaved, unruly and nasty kids around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting