Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2009, 11:37 AM

1,149 posts, read 4,205,754 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
Why is it so terrible that kids watch some tv while mom gets some work done?
Since I missed this post... I googled, and this was the first result that showed up.

How TV Affects Your Child

I'd rather avoid TV watching, in general. I rarely watch it, unless it is something instructional, or is a movie I particularly want to see. I really don't know of anyone who think that having a TV babysit your child is actually good for the child, in any amount of time. I still laugh about how people thought that Baby Einstein was a godsend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2009, 01:39 PM

17,391 posts, read 16,524,581 times
Turns out kids watch plenty of t.v. at daycare too:

Kids Watching Hours of TV at Home Day Care - Children's Health - FOXNews.com

Old 11-24-2009, 02:42 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,176,449 times
This has turned into a SAHM vs working mom thread. That is not what the OP asked. The OP asked how people decided to go back to work, and how they manage. anybody have a real answer to the question? Only people who have been a stay at home parent, then went back to work, please.

Old 11-24-2009, 03:46 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,909,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarryEyedSurprise View Post
Since I missed this post... I googled, and this was the first result that showed up.

How TV Affects Your Child

I'd rather avoid TV watching, in general. I rarely watch it, unless it is something instructional, or is a movie I particularly want to see. I really don't know of anyone who think that having a TV babysit your child is actually good for the child, in any amount of time. I still laugh about how people thought that Baby Einstein was a godsend.
Nobody mentioned having tv babysit their children. TV is just one entertainment option. It is not the evil that many would have you believe. Sitting the kids in front of the tv for hours at a stretch is not a good parenting move, but tv is part of the modern world and there is no problem with parents letting their kids watch some tv.

Old 11-24-2009, 05:46 PM

2,779 posts, read 5,500,663 times
StarryEyed...please come back in two years and tell us how your perfect parenting is going

Old 11-24-2009, 05:48 PM

As for SAHM's saving for retirement. I am a SAHM with an IRA that I contribute the max to annually. Does it grow as fast as my husband's 401K..no, but its sizeable.

Old 11-24-2009, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hml1976 View Post
As for SAHM's saving for retirement. I am a SAHM with an IRA that I contribute the max to annually. Does it grow as fast as my husband's 401K..no, but its sizeable.
And if it's a Roth, you've already paid the taxes on that money - so what you see is what you get, whereas 401K money is all pretax dollars, yet to be taxed.

Old 11-24-2009, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
This has turned into a SAHM vs working mom thread. That is not what the OP asked. The OP asked how people decided to go back to work, and how they manage. anybody have a real answer to the question? Only people who have been a stay at home parent, then went back to work, please.
Back to the OP. I did go back to work (part time) when my first son turned one. Basically, I stayed home with him during the day and went to my job in the evening. For me, it was a hard juggle and after a few months I decided to put off going back to work for a while. Then my 2nd son came along....

Old 11-24-2009, 06:03 PM

890 posts, read 2,785,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hml1976 View Post
As much as I agree to this approach, in our case, it was better to try to use my 401k since my employer has matching $.

Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
And if it's a Roth, you've already paid the taxes on that money - so what you see is what you get, whereas 401K money is all pretax dollars, yet to be taxed.
Definitely once IRA contribution is maxed, Roth IRA is a great option to save more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
Thanks.

For now, we're laying out the things that needs to be covered as far as kids needs and supervision. Also looking into the budget and be more diligent about it.

I also started looking for possible job opportunities, and updating my resume.

Old 11-24-2009, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Marnix View Post
As much as I agree to this approach, in our case, it was better to try to use my 401k since my employer has matching $.

Yes, we do both, max the 401K and contribute fully to two IRAs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting