Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2007, 05:01 PM

5,297 posts, read 6,292,677 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Oil City is a great little town with alot of nice old homes available very inexpensively. it is my opinion that the real estate market in Oil City has bottomed out and is on the rebound. Other areas close to Oil City to look at are Franklin and Seneca.
I live in Franklin and I am a self employed Plumber. i work in alot of the homes in the Oil City area. Generally, all of the homes need some attention but you can purchase a nice old home and put a few dollars into repairs and end up with a very nice home at a very attractive price.
Someone mentioned that we have a "Red Neck" feel, Maybe but for the most part you will not find better or nicer people than here in Venango County.
Finally, something positive about Oil City and Venango County! I was born in Oil City, grew up there in the 50's and 60's and have many warm memories of the area. At that time it was a vital area and a good place to spend one's childhood. I left Western PA for California in the mid 70's. Right before I left the area, I was living in a little pink house outside of Franklin. (Springville). I have often thought of returning to my roots because, frankly, California is a foreign country now and too crowded for any kind of quality of life.
So, thank you Plumber1, for your positive take on the area.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Like others have said before, visit Oil City first before you make a decision. I think you will probably like it, but that's just my opinion. Whatever you do, stay AWAY from Pittsburgh. By the way, that looks like a damn nice deal for 37k! Mabey I should move up there!

Thank you Thank you,For the longest time I have been defending oil city,everyone else putting it down not even seeing the place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2007, 05:06 PM

5,297 posts, read 6,292,677 times
NAH...Take note these people actually lived there or in the area,also like plumber said and I've told you in e-mail also check out franklin.

Old 01-28-2007, 11:04 PM

2,909 posts, read 14,088,670 times
I have searched more than half the cities and states in America and Oil city still looks to be the best. Runner ups are several cities in WV and Ohio(mostly southeast)

Old 01-29-2007, 06:08 PM

669 posts, read 3,194,485 times
Be careful. West Virginia, although scenic and cute, is rated practically one of the last states you want to live in. I don't think they have the best economy. Ditto for Oil City.

I've followed your posts and you say it doesn't matter since you're self employed, but YOU NEED AN ECONOMY to keep your business going. If you're in the middle of nowhere selling stuff, even online, it's not going to work well. You need to think of a decent plan. You really need to have a job on the side, start your business, and then become 100% self-employed when your business has a steady income for a few years.

It's probably not a good plan to move and be self employed. You will struggle for many months.

Old 01-30-2007, 01:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmurphy View Post
Be careful. West Virginia, although scenic and cute, is rated practically one of the last states you want to live in. I don't think they have the best economy. Ditto for Oil City.

I've followed your posts and you say it doesn't matter since you're self employed, but YOU NEED AN ECONOMY to keep your business going. If you're in the middle of nowhere selling stuff, even online, it's not going to work well. You need to think of a decent plan. You really need to have a job on the side, start your business, and then become 100% self-employed when your business has a steady income for a few years.

It's probably not a good plan to move and be self employed. You will struggle for many months.

I dont sell stuff, I offer graphics, web and advertising services to all of USA and even internationally. It matters zero what kind of local economy there is. Some of you still dont understand, oh well but I know. The only thing I need is high speed internet and if worst for worst, I can resort to satalite internet. I need a few stores for food and cloth and I also need to be within two hours of a medium or large city for the occasional commute to buy stuff that cant be found in a town.

I had a job and it was useless. I will soon be making alot more than I made on the job. Jobs dont pay well today, did you not read thread about how all the (illegal)imigrants are taking our jobs? Self employed is the only way to go and did you not see how overpriced houses are in many big cities as well as crime and traffic problems? Sorry but im sick of it all and Oil city or some other small city is what I want. I am still searching for alternatives to Oil city and will personally visit Oil city and several other cities. I think ill live a great lifestyle that way without the crime, illegals and insane prices.

Old 01-30-2007, 04:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need_affordable_home View Post
I dont sell stuff, I offer graphics, web and advertising services to all of USA and even internationally. It matters zero what kind of local economy there is. Some of you still dont understand, oh well but I know. The only thing I need is high speed internet and if worst for worst, I can resort to satalite internet. I need a few stores for food and cloth and I also need to be within two hours of a medium or large city for the occasional commute to buy stuff that cant be found in a town.

I had a job and it was useless. I will soon be making alot more than I made on the job. Jobs dont pay well today, did you not read thread about how all the (illegal)imigrants are taking our jobs? Self employed is the only way to go and did you not see how overpriced houses are in many big cities as well as crime and traffic problems? Sorry but im sick of it all and Oil city or some other small city is what I want. I am still searching for alternatives to Oil city and will personally visit Oil city and several other cities. I think ill live a great lifestyle that way without the crime, illegals and insane prices.
I think it's good that you're optimistic, but once again, 99.9% of those who are self-employed start out with a normal job to pay the bills while business gets going.

You're going to have to follow the same route if you want success.

BTW - looking at the website in your profile - did you make those graphics? If so, I think you need some work. I'm not trying to pick on you, but those graphics aren't going to sell, IMO. I gave you positive rep, because I don't want you thinking I'm picking on you.

Old 01-30-2007, 06:35 AM
Yac

6,051 posts, read 7,730,837 times
Get back to the topic please.

Old 01-30-2007, 05:03 PM

Well, this is on topic. Oil City, PA, and the other states you're considering, such as WV and OH, have high taxes. Ohio has the 3rd highest burden in the US, PA the 24th, and West Virginia the 21st. So obviously, the low home prices are offset with the taxes, as much has I can tell.

Sorry bout that Yac.

Old 01-30-2007, 05:43 PM

Lets take the topic about jobs to PMs, please PM me about this. I gotta stay on topic for my thread. I was not told Ohio had a high tax burden, everyone is saying WV taxes you thru the nose and that PA has a reasonably low tax burden. I have a friend that lives in Woodsfield, OH and he pays only $400 a year in property taxes thats half of what id be paying in Oil city.

LOL low home prices offset by taxes? The same size house in south FL would cost several times more and property taxes+HOA+insurance would be many thousands a year! Possibly over $10k!

Old 01-30-2007, 06:08 PM

Sorry NAH, Ohio is ranked the 3rd highest tax burden. Maybe prop. taxes are low but overall the state has high taxes.

You didn't seem to understand. The reason houses in those cities are cheap are due to low desirability, and I was saying the taxes being high offsets the low prices.

I'll say it for the 90th time. I know Florida is creeping in price but the fact remains that it's not an expensive overall state, at least not for many people. Not just yet. Getting there, but it's not some rich-people-state like you seem to think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania