Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2007, 08:42 PM

4 posts, read 46,673 times

Advertisements

It's a nice small town atmosphere. There's a big joke about everyone in Oil City marries their sibling but in reality it's a very nice little small town. It has suffered greatly from a bit of depression of late but cost of living is definitely low and housing inexpensive. There's nothing "big city" about the place though, however it's a fairly short drive to bigger "small" cities like Erie and even Franklin is a bit more active (another small town next to Oil City). It's definitely a great place to raise a family, very small town.

If you're young and looking for excitement, you might want to move a little further north towards Erie or even towards Pittsburgh. It depends on what you're looking for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2007, 09:53 PM

68 posts, read 732,114 times
I was just in Oil City a few weeks ago. It is a damn mess! The town is literally falling apart at the seams, Old, decaying buildings, empty storefronts downtown, and a messy, decaying, infrastructure. The houses are also falling apart. I went and located the houses of some relatives of mine (who had lived there decades ago). It's a good thing these relatives aren't alive to see what has become of their old places. It's awfully sad.

There is a reason that the cost of living is so low in Oil City. No one has any money to afford things anyway! It was once actually a prosperous town with the oil industry and several rich families. Those days are long gone. It's now a decaying, dying town with mostly old folks.

On the other hand, Franklin (the city right next to it) is the exact opposite in terms of appearence. Franklin is very impressive in how it keeps itself up. The downtown probably looks better than the downtown in 90 percent of Pennsylvania small towns. It's vibrant, neat, doesn't have empty storefronts, has a nice theatre, restaurants, and a very active arts and activities culture that keeps people coming downtown for events. It's clean and handsome and will make you smile to see it.

But you look at the downtown of Oil City and compare it to Franklin and you couldn't find two places that look more opposite.

Old 08-20-2007, 01:26 PM

1 posts, read 8,280 times
Look I just spent many years in that area. We moved because of career reasons. I have lived in seneca, then I moved to OC, then I settled in Franklin and was there for the last 8 years. In the area, you only move or live in OC if you are poor and have no standard or pride in where you live. The highest crime areas in this part of small town pa is OC and titusville. Drugs are a huge problem. Franklin is wonderful. If you have kids please go there. Some one mentioned franklin heights. It is not better than anywhere else in Franklin. At one time that was the case but Franklin has been evry active in restoring their downtown and many have relocated to the downtown so that everything can be in walking distance for them and kids plus the beautiful historic neighborhoods are wonderful to be around. When my kids were yound we loved to walk into town every wed. and sat for the farm market at the park and lunch on liberty street. Seneca properties are becoming very expensive but if you want a good neighborhood with kids for your kids to play with this is not the place. Property values are higher in seneca than anywhere the high school is small and has no football team and the streets are too busy to feel safe to have your kids out to play. Do not let the word city mask what these towns are. They are small towns. Everyone does know everyone or atleast your relatives or friends. Outsiders have always been well received in Franklin because they want growth and prosperity in their city. Oilcity is afraid of it because their crime is rising weekly, so new people are left to proving that they are worthy. Seneca is very clique-ish. I know half of my family is there. If you have never lived in a place like this you will be in for a culture shock.

Old 09-06-2007, 04:03 AM

1 posts, read 8,243 times
Default Looking for info on old chums

WEBER, ALEX C.
zipwebr@yahoo.com
Born in OC; 109 Cowell Ave, then 162 Halyday St. (w/a pumping oil well in front yard). Looking for info on old chums Bob Elliston, OCHS '43? '44? (I noted a Mark Elliston, perhaps son of, related to?); Bill Elliston, Joy Mfg, Franklin, ca '46-47; Bill Anderton; Bob Carey (last known College Park, MD; Ed McAlevy; Paul Goldberg (Baker's Auto?); Earl Wilson (last known LaHabra, CA); or any who remember!
I've traveled around a bit, military, airplanes, aerospace, NAA, AiResearch, Pilatus-Fairchild, buncha countries; currently living in Hsin Tien, Taiwan, ROC, to which I moved after the VN mess. My wife, Shanda (Huang Hsi-ping), and I have had a great and lucky and on-going 24 years together. No kids -- but two cats, ViVi and Hana. We both work (e-'paperless') mostly at home; she, in global trade; me, as a QC inspector for a Tampa FL outfit. ''Retirement'' is one foreign-language term I never learned.
From some of the whining on this site, sounds like the 2nd or 3rd gen kids don't know how to appreciate a beautiful part of our country. Or maybe Famoore's no longer makes Frosted Malts with real ice cream and Whitman's chocolate.
So, who's around? OK, if you've passed on, ask a friend or relative to gimme an email.
Otherwise: Stay well.
Alex
18:04 2007-09-06

Old 09-14-2007, 02:30 PM

21 posts, read 73,296 times
Alas, I don't think Famoores does anymore. Nor do they have the "daily specials" on the wall since the new remodel. And ZIPWEBR...Oil City isn't the same old Oil City it used to be, I'm afraid.

After being life long residents, my husband and I just moved from Oil City a month ago and here is my perspective:

The city is very quaint and has an antique kind of charm. My husband and I are in our late 20s and have 3 small children. We decided to leave because of the sense of despair in the area. There are very very very few young people that would say they feel "great" about living in Oil City. The streets are getting a little rougher. The people are getting a little poorer. The drugs are getting a little more prevalent. And it was time for us to bid farewell.

An article in "The Derrick" (local paper) said that countywide enrollment is down what - over 200? Oil City District itself is down almost 100? We're not the only ones leaving. Another big portion is the educated young people aren't staying and raising their children. The businesses are struggling, the schools are struggling, the local government is haphazard at best...

We could not wait to get out and luckily had the opportunity. There was not one person that we told about the move that didn't give us a knowing glance and say - "Well, you know there's nothing here." Oil City was once prosperous, and hopefully will be again. We just couldn't wait around for it to happen.

Overall, Oil City isn't for everyone, but it is for some. Nothing can take the place of a visit.

And if anyone is looking to buy a cute little 2 bedroom for under $30,000....?????

Old 09-15-2007, 05:20 PM

1 posts, read 8,195 times
Default Getting The Word Out About Oc @ Other Area Towns

I lived in Rouseville for several years during my jr. high and highschool years (1979-1986). Rouseville is only 3 miles from Oil City. A pleasant town with a lot of senior citizens and life long residents. Yes, the lack of employment oppotunities weighs heavily against the area in regards to quality of life.

I would like to suggest that this scenic area would be a wonderful place for tourism with all the history regarding the oil industry and boom towns (now ghost towns such as Petroleum Center). However unless the place is promoted as such, and developed for tourism, things will never change.

I recently had my first book 'The Legend of Coal Oil Johnny' published by Iuniverse Co. It brings to life the colorful characters that surrounded the old oil boom with much emphasis placed on the history and beauty of this part of the oil region. Though I am probably getting way in over my head, my hope is that maybe someday this story will become a made for tv movie and spark some interest in the region. Anyway, the book should be available at the Oil City Library.

RAITES

Old 09-29-2007, 03:27 PM

219 posts, read 448,847 times
Default Calling everyone who knows about Oil City PA

OK...I've read most of the opinions about Oil City and feel very sad that there is such negativity about this town. I have to be honest...10 years ago I would not have said much that was good about it, but I think sometimes you have to go away to appreciate what you had. I lived in Oil City for 21 years (from 1976-1997) and had a good job at Quaker State's corporate office in downtown Oil City. In 1997 I moved to CA and then traveled around the country from 2001 to 2005. We settled in S. Texas (as the housing prices and cost of living is very cheap), bought a house and thought we would be here for the rest of our days. WRONG! I left Oil City in '97 and hated the place because there were some very bad memories there, but we had to return to Franklin this last June for my mother-in-laws memorial service and I saw everything with different eyes. What a beautiful place! I missed the slower pace; I missed the people; I missed my relatives and son; I missed the bike trails; I missed the beautiful Victorian homes; I missed the lake. I could go on, but you get the idea. Well, after much discussion with my husband, we are moving back to the area in the spring. We are retired so it doesn't matter to us about the job situation there. I realize young families might need to go somewhere they can make a better living. But some day they'll be back. They should go to bigger cities and see "what they're missing". Many of you that are young and have been complaining about the area should stick around and make it better instead of running somewhere else looking for a "better" life. It's right there and you don't even realize it. I can't wait to get back. I haven't lived in cold and snow for 10 years, but I'm looking forward to the change of seasons and being with family and growing old there.

Old 12-30-2007, 06:30 PM

2 posts, read 9,834 times
This City Used To Be A Charming Place To Live, Shop, Go To Church, Hide In The Woods, Dunk In The River, Work And Had Adequate Medical And Etc. Care Givers, However Today Thier Is Little In The Way Of Work Places- No Downtown Anymore - 2 Hours To Pgh Pa 1 Hr To Erie Pa And The Shopping Center Is Out Of Town At Cranberry Mall, And That Seems To Be It.... There Is Old Money Folks Still Hanging On , And Retired Folks , Not Much For Teens To Do Except Make Love.

Old 01-18-2008, 12:06 AM

2 posts, read 10,142 times
I read your quote about Oil City. It sure seems to be dying but I'm pulling for her to survive. I grew up there in the 60's and 70's and although we were poor, I have fond memories. I live in So Cal now and it is a different world for sure. I long for a the good old days of Oil City when I think about my son who is growing up here in California. I could sell it all and have a nice spread in Venango County, Hmmmmm... .

Old 02-17-2008, 02:37 PM

955 posts, read 4,090,146 times
I have family in Oil City, and we visit fairly often. The town is a ghost of what it had been when I was growing up there in the 50's and 60's. My brother tells me there is some revival now, people from metropolitan areas are buying homes and retiring. Slower pace, lower cost of living. If you don't need to work it is a pleasant and relaxing place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania