Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2007, 08:29 PM

142 posts, read 578,798 times

Advertisements

I moved to Fla in 87 because I couldn't make enough money to live in the kind of home I wanted in Pa. Finally I was able to afford a home in Pa I wanted. A gated community, brand new cape and it cost me 175k. I get to go there in the middle of April and I'll come back to Pot Saint Lucie in November.

I like both places. If I stay in Pa (year round) I could not make the six figure income I make here. I appreciate the fireplace in my home and the deer in my yard in Pa. I love the Italian and polish sausage and the tripe at the hole in the wall in Dupont, Pa that my cousin and I go to.

Pa will never give me the financial security I want and Fla will never give me the feeling of aaaahhh I need. Fortunatly I no longer (at 48) have to choose between wants and needs..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2007, 08:51 PM

168 posts, read 908,084 times
Default Hey, mechtm84

I saw your post on the New Hampshire forum.

My prediction: in 2 years you will be telling everyone who will listen how much you hate NH and the yokels who live there and how you can't wait to get out of that &#$% state.

To paraphrase a wise man "Everyone is about as happy as they make up their minds to be."

Old 03-01-2007, 02:35 PM
MB2

3,496 posts, read 9,435,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katalin View Post
I moved from the Lehigh Valley 8 month ago to FL. The reason I left because of the discrimination. I am from Europe and I have an accent and everybody thougt I was from Latin America in Allentown. Unfortunatelly I have to say that people in the Lehigh Valley are ignorant and prejudist. I had such a hard time to get a job in PA because of my accent. (University graduate, well literate, now working for the Univ. of Miami of Medicine Center for Liver Diseases). I lived in PA for more than 10 years and If I didn't have a problem with people discriminate me I wouldn't probably never moved. I like PA and the 4 seasons and I wish I could move back but instead I am moving to CT this year!

Sorry, I STRONGLY disagree on that one! I really don't know on who's toes YOU stepped on....
I am from europe myself (Germany to be exact), and had in all my time there (or anywhere, for that matter), only one "run-in". Jewish old lady....you can imagine what it was about!!
Anyway, people here in the US are VERY nice to foreigners, especially europe. Why? Because we are known to be hard workers, honest, have a good sense of humor, are pretty close with the US customs in comparison, and MOST OF US KNOW HOW TO SPEAK ENGLISH!!
We DON'T expect for americans to bend backwards and to learn OUR language to speak and comunicate with us !!!!
Further more, MOST people I have met in PA (other states as well) have european roots. So why would they hate themselves?????
Sorry, I am really wondering on what YOU did to the people for disliking YOU!!!

Old 03-01-2007, 02:53 PM

1 posts, read 2,577 times
I don't know where you are now but I was miserable in PA. Only lived there a little over a year but couldn't wait to get back to the west coast. My family found the summers so hot and humid that you didn't want to go outside. What a shame not to be able to get out and play in the summer. Ticks, extreme weather and rude people, what's to miss?

Old 03-02-2007, 10:05 AM

68,330 posts, read 54,419,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chupiechow View Post
I grew up in Pittsburgh...now live in Kansas City. I tried Philly a year ago and moved back to K.C. Philly is nothing like Pitt. But good paying jobs are so hard to find in Pitt, so I am stuck in the Midwest....at least the weather is better and the taxes are cheaper.
Michele
The weather's better in KC than Pitt? Winter isn't a bit harsher in KC?

Old 03-02-2007, 10:54 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,810,305 times
Default Discrimination

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingBack2PA View Post
Sorry, I STRONGLY disagree on that one! :
How can you disagree with someone who says they were discriminated against? If they felt discrimination, they felt it. How can you say they didn't feel this way? I really don't get it.

BTW, I have European friends myself who feel they have been discriminated against becasue of their accents and their "different" ways. It happens.

Old 03-02-2007, 11:02 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,810,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
The weather's better in KC than Pitt? Winter isn't a bit harsher in KC?
I checked the city-data stats on KC and the winter temps are about the same as Pgh, but the climate is much sunnier year-round. Face it, Pittsburgh is a gloooooomy place.

Old 03-04-2007, 03:48 PM

652 posts, read 1,276,854 times
Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingBack2PA View Post
Sorry, I STRONGLY disagree on that one! I really don't know on who's toes YOU stepped on....
I am from europe myself (Germany to be exact), and had in all my time there (or anywhere, for that matter), only one "run-in". Jewish old lady....you can imagine what it was about!!
Anyway, people here in the US are VERY nice to foreigners, especially europe. Why? Because we are known to be hard workers, honest, have a good sense of humor, are pretty close with the US customs in comparison, and MOST OF US KNOW HOW TO SPEAK ENGLISH!!
We DON'T expect for americans to bend backwards and to learn OUR language to speak and comunicate with us !!!!
Further more, MOST people I have met in PA (other states as well) have european roots. So why would they hate themselves?????
Sorry, I am really wondering on what YOU did to the people for disliking YOU!!!
1: I DID NOT DO ANYTHING WRONG TO PEOPLE (AT INTERVIEWS) FOR DISLIKING ME!!!!!!
2: PEOPLE IN THE LEHIGH VALLEY CAN'T DISTINGUISH BETWEEN ACCENTS, THEY THINK THAT EVERYBODY IS FROM PUERTO RICO OR FROM LATIN AMERICA. I AM VERY AWARE OF THAT HERE IN THE US PEOPLE ARE NICE TO EUROPIANS BUT IF THEY THINK THAT YOU ARE A PUERTO RICAN THEIR ATTITUDE CHANGES, PLUS MAYBE YOU DON'T HAVE AN ACCENT OR YOU DIDN'T LIVE IN LEHIGH VALLEY.
3: I HAVE A LOT OF FRIENDS FROM PA I WAS TALKING ABOUT GETTING JOBS.
I WAS EXTREMELY POLITE AND PROFESSIONAL WITH CUSTOMERS AT MY JOB, WAS EVEN PROMOTED (WORKED FOR UPS ACCOUNTING/CUSTOMER SERVICE).
4: PLEASE RESPECT ANY RELIGION (REGARDING JEWIS, ETC), YOU ARE NOW LIVING IN THE US NOT IN GERMANY!
5:LASTLY, THIS WAS MY EXPERIENCE AND THAT WAS YOURS NO NEED TO BE NASTY ABOUT IT. I RESPECT YOUR EXPERIENCES AND I EXPECT THE SAME! HABEN Sie einen schönen TAG!

Old 03-06-2007, 09:35 PM

470 posts, read 1,708,338 times
Last line translated by Babel Fish:

HAVE a beautiful DAY

Old 03-07-2007, 04:39 PM

2,834 posts, read 10,769,198 times
I applaud katalin for being able to tell 'movingbacktopa' just how she feels. I guess she did it better than I because my last post to her over her prejudiced attitude was deleted. Posts such as hers, getting nasty, and putting down others should not be allowed here. It is her posts that should be deleted.
Her comment..."Furthermore, MOST people I have met in PA (other states as well) have european roots. So why would they hate themselves"
Talk about contradicting yourself!! She professes to dislike NYers, but has she never heard that NY is a melting pot of the world?? Many NYers are not only european, but German as well!! Why would she dislike them???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania