Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > People Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2019, 07:52 PM

197 posts, read 196,135 times

Advertisements

Although a search of Find a Grave turned up nothing for Donald Clayton Galvin (Mildred's Brother) I found out from my cousin's wife Anna, that William's Father Donald was laid to rest in Windsor Veterans Memorial
Cemetery in Windsor, CT with only 7 individuals in attendance. They were Antoinette (ex wife) and her second husband and Donald's five children, Patricia, Donald Jr., Diane, William, and James. None of Donald's sisters were in attendance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2019, 08:52 PM

14 posts, read 10,522 times
I've been following for some time (but never posted) as I'm truly fascinated and hopeful you will find answers. I had submitted the Photo Request on FindAGrave for your grandfather. As it is winter, I figured it would be some time and researched the cemetery he is buried in.

It turns out the cemetery is maintained and owned by the City of Hartford. I was able to get in touch with someone at Parks/Public Works and they are going to relay the information of the plot location and who else is buried with William J. Galvin - hopefully that will fill in some holes there!

This may have already been covered and I have forgotten, if so my apologies, but was curious if your stepmother still alive and has any information? Are any of your father's siblings/cousins around that may know anything? Hopefully your brother may have some documentation.

One other long shot, but it may be worth looking into, may be worth contacting the probate court of the county that William J. Galvin died in. If he had an estate, it would almost certainly list his children's locations.

Best of luck in your search...

Old 01-22-2019, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jommie View Post
I've been following for some time (but never posted) as I'm truly fascinated and hopeful you will find answers. I had submitted the Photo Request on FindAGrave for your grandfather. As it is winter, I figured it would be some time and researched the cemetery he is buried in.

It turns out the cemetery is maintained and owned by the City of Hartford. I was able to get in touch with someone at Parks/Public Works and they are going to relay the information of the plot location and who else is buried with William J. Galvin - hopefully that will fill in some holes there!

This may have already been covered and I have forgotten, if so my apologies, but was curious if your stepmother still alive and has any information? Are any of your father's siblings/cousins around that may know anything? Hopefully your brother may have some documentation.

One other long shot, but it may be worth looking into, may be worth contacting the probate court of the county that William J. Galvin died in. If he had an estate, it would almost certainly list his children's locations.

My Step Mom passed away about 32 years ago. My Dad's last sister passed away yesterday. He has one living brother his nineties. He is the last of the generation from a family with 14 children.
With regards to William J Galvin's estate, I do not believe that he knew where his daughter's were living. His obit read "and three daughters out of town" rather than "a daughter Catherine of Waterbury, CT" etc.
With regard to my Dad's relative's, I believe that he told them all never to tell me about my Mom Mildred and they have not.

Old 01-23-2019, 08:17 AM

23,874 posts, read 33,587,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Made a memorial for son Donald. I'll be shocked if he's not buried with his father and brother in the same cemetery, since they were very close. Someone requested a photo of Williams headstone so I asked that person if he'd include asking them to check for Don and will post back when I find out. He can delete his request and make a new one. I've done it before, it's not hard
Quote:

Thanks for coming here and joining to post. I ended up making Donald a memorial then Mr Skin found out where he is buried so it's good now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Skin View Post
My Step Mom passed away about 32 years ago. My Dad's last sister passed away yesterday. He has one living brother his nineties. He is the last of the generation from a family with 14 children.
With regards to William J Galvin's estate, I do not believe that he knew where his daughter's were living. His obit read "and three daughters out of town" rather than "a daughter Catherine of Waterbury, CT" etc.
With regard to my Dad's relative's, I believe that he told them all never to tell me about my Mom Mildred and they have not.
Sorry for your loss. My MIL passed away Monday from stage 4 breast cancer. She would have been 84 next month.

I don't see where your dad is buried. I looked to see if he was on find a grave but he is not. I'll gladly make him one if you tell me where he's buried. I know he went back to Connecticut but that's all the info I've found

Old 01-23-2019, 12:26 PM

3,218 posts, read 2,437,233 times
https://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/06/a...s-in-1959.html

This might explain why the three women were visiting and possibly why they met Castro (maybe just a publicity event)

I should add, looking for death records of a car crash in early 60's you might look at neighboring states such as Connecticut, New Jersey and even go so far as Vermont, Massachusetts, Rhode Island. If she was a nanny with someone in NYC it is possible she was with that family traveling for vacation.

Last edited by NorthofHere; 01-23-2019 at 12:34 PM..

Old 01-23-2019, 01:24 PM

So sorry to hear of both your losses.

The estate file is definitely a long shot - but there is the possibility whoever wrote the obituary was rushed, hadn't made contact, or was trying to keep it abbreviated. No stone unturned, I figure.

We had a similar long suspected family secret that just came out a couple of years ago -- how my uncle's father was really my grandmother's brother-in-law. (My mom's half-brother was also her cousin's half-brother). Finally she had said to her aunt "now that anyone it can hurt has long left the earth, is XX my brother's father" and she was forthcoming -- no idea who may still be around or you'd be comfortable asking, but it may be worth a chance now that they realize it only stands to help you and not harm anyone living.

No word back from the cemetery yet.

Old 01-24-2019, 09:06 AM

Here are the details for William J. Galvin's burial. Unfortunately they do not have anyone else listed in this plot.

William J. Galvin
Northwood Cemetery
Hartford, CT
Internment 5161
Section D, Block 6, Grave 143
Age 74
No check box on martial status
Date of Death: 11/11/1966
Date of Permit and Burial: 11/15/1966
Place of Death: 73 Buckingham St
Cause of Death: Arteriosclerotic heart
Attending Undertaker: Dillon
Charge: $155

There was also a Walter F. Galvin who was buried and disinterred at Soldiers Field which is in Northwood. Probably no relation but let me know if of any interest. Died 10/24/1978 and was married.

Old 01-24-2019, 10:49 AM

Default Walter F

You are correct, Walter F. Galvin is not related. I appreciate your interest in the search for my Mom and your input into the Thread.

Old 01-24-2019, 02:39 PM

Default New to me info

Quote:
Here are the details for William J. Galvin's burial. Unfortunately they do not have anyone else listed in this plot.

William J. Galvin
Northwood Cemetery
Hartford, CT
Internment 5161

Age 74

There was also a Walter F. Galvin who was buried and disinterred at Soldiers Field which is in Northwood. Probably no relation but let me know if of any interest. Died 10/24/1978 and was married.

I appreciate your post of this info on William J, Galvin as I am seeing some things I have not seen before. I have changed the text color on the info that is new to me if I recall correctly. This person is my maternal Grandfather. Thanks again for your input.

Old 01-24-2019, 02:46 PM

23,874 posts, read 33,587,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthofHere View Post
https://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/06/a...s-in-1959.html

This might explain why the three women were visiting and possibly why they met Castro (maybe just a publicity event)

I should add, looking for death records of a car crash in early 60's you might look at neighboring states such as Connecticut, New Jersey and even go so far as Vermont, Massachusetts, Rhode Island. If she was a nanny with someone in NYC it is possible she was with that family traveling for vacation.
Thanks for the article. I do wonder why they went and if invited. We've seen ads for the villa, did Castro see them too? Why was there only 3 women and no husband on vacation?

Quote:
So sorry to hear of both your losses.
Thank you. MIL lost her hub 13 years ago 6 weeks after my dad passed. She never healed from losing him. I know she's finally at peace to be with him.

Quote:

William J. Galvin
Northwood Cemetery
Hartford, CT
Internment 5161
Age 74

Thanks for contacting them. I have not seen Walter as a relative yet but I wouldn't be so sure he isn't some how related. I don't recall Walter being listed on find a grave so if you have his info I'd say make him a memorial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Skin View Post
I appreciate your post of this info on William J, Galvin as I am seeing some things I have not seen before. I have changed the text color on the info that is new to me if I recall correctly. This person is my maternal Grandfather. Thanks again for your input.
You may want to find a heart doctor just to make sure you're ok. My son's fathers side has heart issues for the men. Women live long. His great grandmother was almost 108 (6 days shy of her bday) when she passed a few years ago but she spent about 50 years without her hub and their son died the same way
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > People Search