Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2010, 07:59 PM

88,605 posts, read 84,838,467 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hskrfan2187 View Post
I think this is one of the biggest problems in our society. If you look at Japan, they have parents, grandparents, and grandkids all living under one roof. And they, along with China, have some of the highest savings rates in the world. Family is supposed to be there to help you out. I just can't help but feel sorry for my friends who's parents forced them out while they are trying to pay their way through college, work full time, and pay bills. It's not a very good way of setting your kids up for success.
I lived this way for about five years, when I got a divorce when my daughter was eight. My parents, my mother's mother, my divorced brother, my daughter and I all lived together in the same house. My brother's daughter came to stay on weekends and holidays and other occasions. I believe it benefitted my daughter to have that for a part of her childhood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2010, 09:50 PM

2,788 posts, read 5,093,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodtype View Post
Years ago I was broke a number of times and had to beg, borrow and steal to eat and pay my rent. I have been so poor that I ran out of gas on the way to pick up my paycheck. I have also given my body to science (medicine) to get money to pay for food. I was basically lazy and hated menial work, so I found being broke actually worse than doing a terrible job.

When was the last time you were broke, and why?
I just got paid on the 21st of May..and right after paying bills..Im broke again..But at least Im broke with a roof over my head.

Old 11-08-2011, 06:36 PM

197 posts, read 450,054 times
Currently I am homeless. I go to the library every day and browse around on here/other sites until they kick me out. For food, I go up to people eating in fast food restaurants and ask if they were gonna finish their meal, takes a lot of asking/a lot of funny looks, but I usually find someone who will give me half a sandwich or some fries or something. My net worth is about -$300,000 thanks to student loans and credit card debt.

Old 11-08-2011, 06:55 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,373,081 times
I have been really broke, several times over. The real issue with being flat broke, and having kids, is to keep things normal for kids, and not let them know you have zero money until pay day, in nine days. After paying rent, car payment, bills, and buying groceries that is it for tow weeks. I usually had "savings" of about $50 for emergencies. We had no meat, or fresh fruit, because it was just not in the budget, I could afford Ramen, oatmeal, a few other things. But, we never had the power turned off, we always had food, the kids never knew we were flat broke.

Old 11-08-2011, 07:16 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,129,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert Peters View Post
Currently I am homeless. I go to the library every day and browse around on here/other sites until they kick me out. For food, I go up to people eating in fast food restaurants and ask if they were gonna finish their meal, takes a lot of asking/a lot of funny looks, but I usually find someone who will give me half a sandwich or some fries or something. My net worth is about -$300,000 thanks to student loans and credit card debt.

Since in less than 14 months when I will complete my Masters I will have less than $40,000 in both my Undergrad and Graduate degree I can't help wondering what degree you got that costs CLOSE to that number (It can't ALL be credit cards!)

Old 11-08-2011, 08:42 PM

265 posts, read 615,606 times
yeah, and cash-broke, living in a homeless shelter, living with a relative, and living out of a vehicle are mostly THE SAME except one doesn't have a washroom.....ect.

any other questions?....LOL

Burt you say you're currently homeless....library isn't the only place I went for warmth, water, a seat and such, I also hung around 24hr Laundromats because it gave me another place to be when the sunsets. it kept me around a washroom, TV, and people which helped me feel safer. also sitting in McDonalds or some other fast food place also gives you access to washroom, a place to sit and warmth. also you can get water there in a courtesy-cup. {smiling} it's free. if you can get a couple old magazines from the library you go to, it helps to take them to McDonalds with you, cause it makes you look like you're there so long because you're reading. you don't look idle. the things I did to make it each day....well, you just have to believe things will get better. hold to both patience and hope. also it's important to allow your situation to make you better instead of BITTER. wishing you the very best in life.
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]

Last edited by crystal-sea; 11-08-2011 at 09:09 PM..

Old 11-09-2011, 12:46 AM

836 posts, read 1,778,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTGirlNoMore View Post
I remember gas going up to $1.49/gallon and thinking that was expensive.
It wasn't that long ago... shoot, I remember at some point (2002? 03?) there was a dip in gas prices and I remember seing $0.89/g price tag!!!
I think I even took a picture

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
I ate too much of Wendy's during those years due to the 99 cent menu.
I did, too! Had a Wendy's across the street from my work and often had their $1 hamburger for lunch + free water!
(No, I wasn't broke then, just saving money)

Last edited by Dreams2Plans; 11-09-2011 at 12:50 AM.. Reason: added

Old 11-09-2011, 01:31 AM

30,896 posts, read 36,970,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tryingtofigureitout View Post
40% of your income into a retirement program is very excessive.

My wife and I only have today, tomorrow isn't promised. More than likely, you are trusting in your material possessions. Make your life a lot easier. Reduce your investment percentage to less than 10%.

All it takes is a crisis in the market and your money is history. Money may not be worth the paper it is printed on, if things keep going the way that they have been these past few years.
I'm thinking along similar lines. If life is miserable because 40% is going for retirement, then lighten up. I personally, think 10% is too skimpy. But I used to be like this, saving 1/3 of my gross income. It was too much. I lightened up to about 25% and upgraded my lifetyle with the rest (I was living in a rented room at the time) and was much happier.

Old 11-09-2011, 01:46 AM

30,896 posts, read 36,970,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
Thanks for explaining.

I know when I move I'll always be welcome back at home. My mom says I can stay here forever I don't like the American over-emphasis on the "independence" of the "individual". Truth is, we're all interdependent, and I see nothing wrong with moving back when times are tough. You save a lot of money that way. This goes with the younger generation accommodating the older, too. Nothing annoys you like elderly parents being too afraid to ask their adult child with the 4,000 square foot McMansion to move in with them.
You have a good point. But the American way also has it's advantages, but it s riskier. I, personally, am glad my parents encouraged me to live the life I wanted, which meant moving 3000 miles away from "home". I struggled for many years and my parents did not bail me out. It made me stronger as a person.

The problem Americans have is they've abandoned frugality and they can't distinguish a true need from a want.

There's a price you pay for everything. When you live in a close knit family situation, you can never do what you want and everything revolves around family. A lot of us find that claustrophobic and sometimes downright repressive (Just one concrete example....I'm gay, so I've seen my fair share of gay men who stayed in the closet because they were too afraid to rock the boat in the family).

The price you pay for individualism is there's often no one there to bail you out if you screw up or if misfortune comes your way (even if you did everything right). Also, excessive individualism can be isolating and lead to depression.

Old 11-09-2011, 02:09 AM

1,591 posts, read 3,428,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert Peters View Post
dude, seriously

can't you collect cans or something? nobody wants to be bothered for money while they're eating, if i was the manager I'd throw you out

better yet, apply for a job at those fast food places, they'll hire anyone. actually, maybe you should try different places, I bet you are not too popular at those ones.

what is your degree in?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance