Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2011, 04:40 AM

9 posts, read 14,320 times

Advertisements

Yes I also broke when I was studying in the engineering because my whole education completed on scholarship and one time I did not get scholarship and broke totally.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2011, 08:23 AM

181 posts, read 234,281 times
I had -$310 in my account at one time. I went away for christmas vacation and came back to see a note on the door of where I worked. They had closed and didn't even tell the hourly employees. I was a full time student living in a college town. I applied everywhere and could not find anything. The money in my bank account was slowly disappearing. I just moved to the city and had no one. I had my water cut off. Only ate ramen for over a month. I had to pay my rent but only had 100 in my account, so I over drafted. Then my electricity got cut off, in the middle of winter. A teacher told me about a internship that he had recommended me for. A paid internship making 15/hr. I didn't even think about internships because I wasn't very far into the program and didn't think I would qualify. Everything started to turn around.

Old 11-10-2011, 01:28 AM

15,632 posts, read 24,447,098 times
In 1968 my husband left me. I had two babies, one 18 months old and the other two months old. No child support. I got a job paying $200 gross/month. Out of that I had to pay $80/month house payment plus utilities. I also had to pay for child care while I worked. My car was a 1952 Chevy with only one working gear. This was in Denver and the heat didnt work in either the car or the house.

Need I say that I lived paycheck to paycheck? One payday morning I ran out of gas in my driveway and had no way to get to work downtown. My boss mailed my paycheck to me and I walked five miles (carrying both kids) to the nearest bank to cash the check and then to a gas station to buy a gas can for the gas...then back five miles again to the house and car. Of course, I lost several days' pay while waiting at home for the check to arrive in the mail.

On weekends, I stood at street intersections, kids in tow, and offered to wash windshields. It was embarrassing but I was desperate to feed my babies in those days.

A divorced woman across the street from me also had two kids and was on welfare. She actually made more $$$ on welfare than I made working (after paying for child care and gas). She always laughed at me for my being so "stupid" as to refuse to go on welfare. She had no intention of ever going to work or getting off government assistance.

I struggled for years until my work ethic finally paid off and I started earning an excellent salary. I've never forgotten how hard life was for us back in the late 1960's and 1970's, though. So, over the years as my salary rose to six figures, I donated a good deal of $$$, anonymously, to struggling families. And I sometimes think about that neighbor who was content to live on welfare and wonder if she'd still think I was so stupid for taking a different road than she did.

Old 11-12-2011, 01:53 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,241,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasfirewheel View Post
In 1968 my husband left me. I had two babies, one 18 months old and the other two months old. No child support. I got a job paying $200 gross/month. Out of that I had to pay $80/month house payment plus utilities. I also had to pay for child care while I worked. My car was a 1952 Chevy with only one working gear. This was in Denver and the heat didnt work in either the car or the house.

Need I say that I lived paycheck to paycheck? One payday morning I ran out of gas in my driveway and had no way to get to work downtown. My boss mailed my paycheck to me and I walked five miles (carrying both kids) to the nearest bank to cash the check and then to a gas station to buy a gas can for the gas...then back five miles again to the house and car. Of course, I lost several days' pay while waiting at home for the check to arrive in the mail.

On weekends, I stood at street intersections, kids in tow, and offered to wash windshields. It was embarrassing but I was desperate to feed my babies in those days.

A divorced woman across the street from me also had two kids and was on welfare. She actually made more $$$ on welfare than I made working (after paying for child care and gas). She always laughed at me for my being so "stupid" as to refuse to go on welfare. She had no intention of ever going to work or getting off government assistance.

I struggled for years until my work ethic finally paid off and I started earning an excellent salary. I've never forgotten how hard life was for us back in the late 1960's and 1970's, though. So, over the years as my salary rose to six figures, I donated a good deal of $$$, anonymously, to struggling families. And I sometimes think about that neighbor who was content to live on welfare and wonder if she'd still think I was so stupid for taking a different road than she did.
Excellent story, thanks for sharing!
The attitude of the welfare person laughing at you (trying to make it on your own) is what is soooo wrong with this country.
You worked your way up and out, while the welfare person, stays at the same level, and for people that do work up and out, they have self respect, and good working ethics, and role model for their kids, something many welfare folks will never have.
You set a great example for your kids, I bet they arent a burden to society as so many others are (trying to beat the system)

Old 11-14-2011, 11:17 AM

2,336 posts, read 7,781,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodtype View Post
When was the last time you were broke, and why?
I'm flat broke now! My car is on 'E' and I have about $0.30 until I get paid on Friday.

Tonight I'll hit up some family members for some money. It's the story of my life (and it's getting old...since I'm 32 years old )

Old 11-14-2011, 01:13 PM

6 posts, read 23,735 times
About 6 years ago had been divorced for a while and had been using credit cards to fill gaps since the 75% reduction in income after the divorce. I was working two jobs, single mom, blah blah blah. I got the house in the divorce but really couldn't afford the payment on my own. My teenage daughter had worked all summer and was working part-time during the school year and was saving every cent toward a car she planned to purchase. We had a joint account (for what reason I don't remember, since underaged kids can have bank accounts).

A junk debt buyer creditor for a credit card was after me and even though I studied creditboards.com daily, was not successful in dealing with them in court and was unaware of what they could do.

It was Friday night, I had 1/4 tank of gas and $5 in my wallet. I had just written a check for two mortgage payments and was now going to be caught up. I realized the creditor had been able to get the sheriff to seize all money in my bank accounts so my mortgage payment bounced, but the worst of it was that all of my daughter's money was seized too. I felt terribly guilty, even though my daughter fortunately never found out. I borrowed the money that the creditor wanted from my parents, immediately called a real estate agent, had my house on the market within two weeks, sold it in about 45 days, paid my parents back, paid off all debts.

I must be one of those people who does not live and learn. My kids are financially independent, successful adults now at least so there is no more risk that they will suffer from my errors, but I am back to living last week's paycheck to paycheck. The only difference is I have little debt and no creditors are after me.

Last edited by Anonymouse2012; 11-14-2011 at 01:37 PM..

Old 11-14-2011, 01:22 PM

7,372 posts, read 16,022,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasfirewheel View Post

I wish you could teach a class to people who want to help themselves out of a financial bind. I think you'd be great!

Old 11-14-2011, 01:30 PM

8,635 posts, read 9,144,630 times
As a teenage back in the 70s sharing an apartment with my older brother and a friend. We all lost our jobs to a very bad recession, my car broke down, little to no food in the house. I was all alone and extremely hungry in the middle of winter. There was only a bag of flower and a can of sardines to consume. I elected to bake bread. Add water to flower, pop into the oven and presto, one big warm loaf of bread. NOT. One big pan full of clay. Lesson learned? Sardines are good.

Old 11-14-2011, 05:35 PM

12,671 posts, read 23,817,403 times
Just a flat tire.

Old 11-14-2011, 07:37 PM

3,382 posts, read 8,653,420 times
College... Remeber eating crap food from my part time job for most of my food.

But I guess technically once I had about $1k in my account, and I had like $8k on a card, and I was $200k in medical debt, and on leave from work(non-paid)

Sent from my autocorrect butchering device.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance