Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2011, 10:02 PM

12,671 posts, read 23,817,403 times

Advertisements

I was born with a silver spoon in my mouth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2011, 02:38 PM

5,724 posts, read 7,487,606 times
The early years were really tough. I worked a minimum wage job that paid $500 a month and my rent was $280. I don't remember the specifics but it was hard.

Old 11-15-2011, 02:43 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,182,943 times
A few months after graduating college, I thought I had it figured out. I had enough money for rent, utilities, food, and beer. But, as it turns out, I did a crappy job one month balancing my checkbook, and then realized I had $7 to last me for 6 days. At least I could walk to work, so I didn't have to spend it on gas.

I refused to borrow any money from my friends who were all almost as broke as me. So I bought a bunch of ramen noodles, Kool Ade, and baloney and starved my way to payday.

Old 11-17-2011, 09:22 PM

32,946 posts, read 36,394,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas User View Post
I was born with a silver spoon in my mouth.
That must have hurt.

Old 11-17-2011, 11:07 PM
GPC

1,308 posts, read 3,414,980 times
I can recall a time when I was newly married many years ago. It was 1987 and my husband and I were living in New York. This was back in the days before Metrocards and tokens were used in the subways. It was payday for the both of us but we had no money for tokens to get to work. We rolled pennies, cashed them in for a couple of dollars at the corner convenience store, and bought our tokens that way. Pretty pathetic but kind of funny in a way. At least we were resourceful and hey, it was better than jumping the turnstile!!!

Old 11-18-2011, 11:24 AM

1,077 posts, read 2,634,163 times
When I gave birth to my twins, the father left two days later. I was working and had a car but did not have the money for gas so I walked to work. I was working when I went into labor, and because my twins were very early, (3 1/2 months) I went back to work two days after giving birth. If I wasn't at work I was at the hospital sitting with my babies. As I said, I couldn't afford gas so I had to walk 18 blocks to work, 12 more up to the hospital and then back home. I was only able to pay for rent. I rolled pennies from a jar that I had for bread, eggs and milk. I lived off egg sandwiches for three months. When my babies were able to come home from the hospital, I still did not have enough extra money to get gas to pick them up so I borrowed two baby carriers and went to the hospital on the public bus and brought them home riding the public bus. The 35 cents that it cost me to ride the bus left me with 13 cents. I remember that because my boys were born on the 13th. It all worked out though, both boys and I are doing great and have gone way up in the world by hard work and smart saving. I was able to accumulate quite the college fund for them and they both have great jobs (along with me).

Old 11-18-2011, 12:55 PM

7 posts, read 26,232 times
I have not personally been broke but my parents were when I was a child. I remember going to bed hungry. My parents still don’t know that I always wanted more food but I left it for my little brother and my Dad to eat. That lasted from when I was about 7 until I was about 12. It still makes me sad to think about it.
I am very glad that is all in the past now. My parents learned from their mistakes and taught me financial responsibility. I have some money stored away in case I need it and they just bought a new house.
MoneyMogul

Old 11-18-2011, 01:07 PM
GPC

1,308 posts, read 3,414,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyMogul View Post
My parents still don’t know that I always wanted more food but I left it for my little brother and my Dad to eat. That lasted from when I was about 7 until I was about 12.
What a wonderful, giving child you were! That was such a loving thing for you to do!!!

Old 11-18-2011, 01:37 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,364,927 times
In 1972 I got out of the military with $900 in my pocket saved by not taking half of the leave time allotted to me during my four years of service. Nine hundred dollars was two months of my military salary. I had a new wife and no job but I did have decent credit so we borrowed enough money from the small local bank to purchase an $1800 10'x40' mobile home that was formerly used by Mexican migrant workers. When the winter winds blew ice and snow in west Texas, the north-facing 2" walls of the mobile home would flex and groan and the curtains that hung over the large picture window on the north side of the house would billow into the room. Unless one considers the G.I. Bill assistance, we took no government assistance. I went to work driving a semi truck and attending a small college in New Mexico. There were days when we didn't have money for grocery basics.

From those pitiful days, I still have the same wonderful wife and a daughter who thinks I can walk on water. Anyone who thinks we only remember the good old days is wrong. It's just that the good old days are the only ones worth talking about.

Last edited by High_Plains_Retired; 11-18-2011 at 02:29 PM..

Old 11-18-2011, 02:26 PM

1,266 posts, read 3,224,637 times
Newly married in 1978 to a life insurance salesman (who had other redeeming qualities) earning only straight commission. Sales dried up, too proud to ask for help, got down to sharing a bowl of chili for dinner the day before another paltry commission check arrived -- left with 37 cents (counting looking under the ratty couch) between us until we cashed the check.

Celebrating 33 years together in December, retired on an adequate fixed income, needs are few and we are frugal, so life's good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance