Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2015, 09:13 AM

18,549 posts, read 15,598,983 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
It shouldn't take you until summer, work nights work weekends. If you wanted things to change you'd change what you were doing
Assuming either parent can care for this special needs child, they can try to alternate work schedules or find a job that pays enough for it to be worth hiring someone else to do it. May not be possible in such a short time frame though.

Is there any way of getting Medicaid to cover some of the care and having both parents work full-time? I doubt that it will really be that tough to manage if this is the case, since they are already living on one income now, so the other one could be entirely devoted to the private loans (after taxes and commute costs).

Another option is to try to find a work from home job that allows you to earn income without creating huge care expenses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2015, 12:06 PM

210 posts, read 239,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
Assuming either parent can care for this special needs child, they can try to alternate work schedules or find a job that pays enough for it to be worth hiring someone else to do it. May not be possible in such a short time frame though.

Is there any way of getting Medicaid to cover some of the care and having both parents work full-time? I doubt that it will really be that tough to manage if this is the case, since they are already living on one income now, so the other one could be entirely devoted to the private loans (after taxes and commute costs).

Another option is to try to find a work from home job that allows you to earn income without creating huge care expenses.
Either of us can take care of our kids, the only thing is the youngest one (due to severe allergies) he needs to be in our house and not a daycare or other home where certain things are. I've brought up the point about alternating work schedules with my husband. My husband has a job where he can switch to working a different schedule and be home whenever I have to teach. But, he would have to step down in position and take a slight pay cut and he feels it may jeopardize his career path. I wish he would, it would help us both be able to work full time without having to hire a nanny.

I would love to have an online teaching job. Perhaps I could pay someone to help watch the kids while I'm in another room working. Of course, it would not cost as much as a nanny as they would not be taking full responsibility for their safety. I would just need someone to play with them while I work in the next room over. At one time about a year ago I had an online job, but the hours required and pay did not make it worth it at all. I was pulling in $2-3 an hour and not having any time to do anything else. I would need a work at home job with a realistic hourly wage.

I could always start a tutoring business............. trying to think of other ways to raise my income. This would be something possible I could do 1-3 hours a night after he comes home from work and on the weekends, making significantly more than I would at a minimum wage job.

Old 01-21-2015, 12:08 PM

Quote:
You need to figure out how much you could afford to pay in a lump sum NOW, and compare it to the smallest of the single loans.

If you can offer 50 cents on the dollar on the smallest loan, call them and offer it, and get the response in writing.
Well, right now, nothing. But.... there is one loan for only $1500 principal, if I start a tutoring business, I'm sure I could pay 50 cents on the dollar soon.

Old 01-21-2015, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
The reason I asked, is I'm not sure they will be as willing to negotiate with you if/when they find out you are employed.
That wouldn't be good. The idea of settling the debt for the less gives me a glimmer of hope, and my only way of paying for it (whether to them or a relative I got a loan from ...) is to be employed and earn some money.

Old 01-21-2015, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysteriousjane View Post
Either of us can take care of our kids, the only thing is the youngest one (due to severe allergies) he needs to be in our house and not a daycare or other home where certain things are. I've brought up the point about alternating work schedules with my husband. My husband has a job where he can switch to working a different schedule and be home whenever I have to teach. But, he would have to step down in position and take a slight pay cut and he feels it may jeopardize his career path. I wish he would, it would help us both be able to work full time without having to hire a nanny.

I would love to have an online teaching job. Perhaps I could pay someone to help watch the kids while I'm in another room working. Of course, it would not cost as much as a nanny as they would not be taking full responsibility for their safety. I would just need someone to play with them while I work in the next room over. At one time about a year ago I had an online job, but the hours required and pay did not make it worth it at all. I was pulling in $2-3 an hour and not having any time to do anything else. I would need a work at home job with a realistic hourly wage.

I could always start a tutoring business............. trying to think of other ways to raise my income. This would be something possible I could do 1-3 hours a night after he comes home from work and on the weekends, making significantly more than I would at a minimum wage job.
Go for the tutoring. Any job is better than no job - plus, you can potentially make connections that could later land you a better job, and also improve your résumé.

Is the kid on allergy shots? I had to have those growing up, to get over cat, pollen, and mold allergies.

Old 01-21-2015, 09:06 PM

13,388 posts, read 6,447,897 times
Quote:
Go for the tutoring. Any job is better than no job - plus, you can potentially make connections that could later land you a better job, and also improve your résumé.

Is the kid on allergy shots? I had to have those growing up, to get over cat, pollen, and mold allergies.
Don't know, but it seems to me tutoring might be hard to get going and keep a steady income. Also, if you are good at it wont you continually be working yourself out of clients and needing to find new ones.

Not saying you shouldn't do it, but I would look at other things too.

For example, you don't want to get into full time day care temporarily, but are there working mothers nearby who might pay a neighbor to watch their kids a couple of hours between school letting out and them getting home from work.

House sitting? Pet sitting or walking?

If I needed money, I would look into cleaning houses. The woman who cleans mine makes $50/hr.

Old 01-21-2015, 09:42 PM

Quote:

OK, I'm going to start tutoring. I don't know how much to charge, so I'll have to ask around. I could pretty much anything up through high school.

Old 01-21-2015, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
Don't know, but it seems to me tutoring might be hard to get going and keep a steady income. Also, if you are good at it wont you continually be working yourself out of clients and needing to find new ones.

Not saying you shouldn't do it, but I would look at other things too.

For example, you don't want to get into full time day care temporarily, but are there working mothers nearby who might pay a neighbor to watch their kids a couple of hours between school letting out and them getting home from work.

House sitting? Pet sitting or walking?

If I needed money, I would look into cleaning houses. The woman who cleans mine makes $50/hr.
Dang, I cleaned houses as a teen and made $45/4 hours. I thought I was getting paid good money LOL! What a rip! My mom knew a lot of people from her church and daycare business and would set me up with random jobs like dog walking. I don't know how I would even start doing that now, although that would be pretty awesome to get paid to walk someone's dog when we are out walking anyway.

Old 01-22-2015, 03:05 AM

6,395 posts, read 6,283,899 times
I don't mean to sound harsh, but "allergies" is hardly a "special need."

The kid's gotta go to school sometime. First find a solution to THIS small problem ASAP- shots, meds, epi pen, etc.

Then you and husband both get jobs out of home. Minimum wage if needed. Now might be the time for structure that an employer can provide and not a new venture like tutoring unless it's a side gig.

Old 01-22-2015, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysteriousjane View Post
OK, I'm going to start tutoring. I don't know how much to charge, so I'll have to ask around. I could pretty much anything up through high school.
The amount you charge should be in line with qualifications and experience. In my area, they start at about $15/hour and after several years of experience can make $40/hour.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance