Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2016, 04:59 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,912,657 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamary1 View Post
Even if the OP won't/can't open a checking account, he could certainly open a savings account and the bank would issue him a debit card. Banks will give even people with poor credit savings accounts as you can't overdraw a savings account....you can only draw out the money that is in there. He could deposit his check and then draw out what he needed when he needed it. The rest would be safe in the bank.
Not typically, typically you need checking since the debit cards only work from drawing from checking. If you get a savings account, you get an ATM card only. Edit: This experience is from at least four different banks that I had accounts with, two credit unions and two traditional banks.

Last edited by mkpunk; 11-03-2016 at 05:11 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2016, 05:00 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,462,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thzodiac View Post
Send out another one? I have the police report and everything but I am not sure if my job would allow for a second paycheck to be sent out. I am ****ing pissed because now I am behind on rent because of this incident that happened over the past weekend. It wasn't cashed at the bank either but at a check cashing place.
Isn't it possible to "stop payment" on the check?

I've never used a check cashing place before.

Old 11-03-2016, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
Isn't it possible to "stop payment" on the check?

I've never used a check cashing place before.
Not if the check was cashed and then the casher had some goon rob them. Sadly that money is gone. OP, please get an account at a credit union. Chalk it up to a learning experience unless you got center's or home owner's insurance that may cover on the street robbery on top of home invasions.

Old 11-03-2016, 05:09 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,228,517 times
Why would any employer reissue a checked that you had already cashed? That doesn't make any sense at all.

If you are able to file a claim with Crime Victims in your area, maybe there would be some help. Or, visit a local Social Service agency and explain, perhaps someone could assist you with rent.

Sorry for your troubles.

Old 11-03-2016, 05:53 PM

13,286 posts, read 8,463,474 times
Maybe I am in a different reading class.

The OP didn't cash the check. The robber did. Thus why he is now inquiring if his issuer (employer)can send him another one in lieu of this incident.

My employer sent one out after I had been in the hospital and they mailed it to my street address, but not my house address #. They pressed charges of fraud against the entity who did cash the original check. Took em months but they got the funds back.

Now if the OP got robbed AFTER he cashed his own paycheck then...all bets are off. He is at a loss.

Old 11-03-2016, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
Why would any employer reissue a checked that you had already cashed? That doesn't make any sense at all.

If you are able to file a claim with Crime Victims in your area, maybe there would be some help. Or, visit a local Social Service agency and explain, perhaps someone could assist you with rent.

Sorry for your troubles.
I'd first explain it to the tenant and see where that goes. Getting robbed is something we don't expect and we can't make up, nor say is a one excuse you'll likely use again. I imagine most tenants would understand and set up some allowance for this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post

The OP didn't cash the check. The robber did. Thus why he is now inquiring if his issuer (employer)can send him another one in lieu of this incident.

My employer sent one out after I had been in the hospital and they mailed it to my street address, but not my house address #. They pressed charges of fraud against the entity who did cash the original check. Took em months but they got the funds back.

Now if the OP got robbed AFTER he cashed his own paycheck then...all bets are off. He is at a loss.
The OP sounds like they did in fact get robbed AFTER the check was cashed based on what they put out in their original post.

Old 11-03-2016, 06:42 PM

7,519 posts, read 13,634,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post

The OP's title of this thread is "I was robbed after cashing paycheck"

Old 11-03-2016, 06:58 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,854,718 times
You sound young. No, I don't know of any employer who would pay you twice, they were not the ones who lost the CASH. Now, if the check itself had been stolen, they could maybe put a stop payment on IT, but you lost CASH.

They might advance you some money, but you would (and should) have to repay it, maybe over time, a little out of each upcoming check.

Your employer did nothing wrong, so why should they be the ones to pay ? I've been robbed twice in my life at gunpoint, and I didn't expect anyone to bail me out, I just ate the loss.

Last edited by toosie; 11-03-2016 at 07:36 PM.. Reason: TOS - no signatures

Old 11-03-2016, 06:59 PM

4,005 posts, read 4,108,191 times
First, a person has to have money for renters' insurance. Second, a person needs money to open a checking or savings account. Since the OP is going to a check cashing place, there likely isn't money left for either after the fees that those places charge.

Third, along with needing money to open an account, financial institutions need ID (usually a driver's license).

Old 11-03-2016, 07:13 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,547,752 times
https://www.bluebird.com/
Seems like it would be ideal for someone like the op?

Has some fees but not much and can work around them
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance