Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2017, 07:58 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,645,499 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iShine86 View Post
PARENTS/RENT: I realized that I never addressed some questions. I know my parents well enough to know that they won't lower the price of rent. At all.

I asked a while back when we first came up with the agreement. Long story short, it didn't go well. I won't ask again.

I'm just blessed that they're letting me stay at all.
OK, well that's too bad since you are making an effort to cut back on your expenses.

All families are different, but I believe your child is your child and you help when you can. I mean you are in your old room? It's sitting empty anyway and feeding one more person when you're already cooking for two isn't that much of a difference.

But you're heading in the right direction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2017, 08:01 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,571,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
OK, well that's too bad since you are making an effort to cut back on your expenses.

All families are different, but I believe your child is your child and you help when you can. I mean you are in your old room? It's sitting empty anyway and feeding one more person when you're already cooking for two isn't that much of a difference.

Maybe they are teaching him responsibility and they feel that will help him more than a hand-out. Either way, it is what it is.

Old 03-08-2017, 04:15 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,400,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
I am flabbergasted that some refuse to let the tithing issue go. What is the point? In the view of the OP, there is no such thing as giving time instead. He's giving 10%, end of story he has said flat out that is totally off the table so why do some persist?

We can't help people if they won't do 100% exactly how we would? That's nuts.

I know it made me rethink about giving to needy people. If I don't believe in churches and the tithing then why should I give my hard earned money to someone who has blown their money because of it. Just saying

Old 03-08-2017, 06:41 AM

3,050 posts, read 4,994,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post

Keep in mind we are talking about a 30 year old woman here, not a kid just out of college. There may be a lot of history here we don't know about.

Old 03-08-2017, 09:21 AM

88,605 posts, read 84,838,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaucyAussie View Post
Keep in mind we are talking about a 30 year old woman here, not a kid just out of college. There may be a lot of history here we don't know about.
Also, once again, she mentioned that her parents are in a not-so-safe neighborhood. Do you really think they are loaded but chose to live in such a place for the grand adventure of it all?

Call me crazy, but I'm thinking they can use the rent money.

Old 03-09-2017, 05:21 PM

10,069 posts, read 7,243,961 times
Quote:
Oh my!

Thanks for all of the replies everyone. When I first posted this, I was NOT expecting to receive this much advice. You all have been tremendously helpful.

UPDATE:

Cell phone: My new bill will be lowered to $45 at the end of my current monthly bill (March 17th).
Gym: My new gym fee is $13
Life Insurance: Gone.
Dry cleaners: Out
Food: (Not eating out, just groceries) $60.00

Now, let me address the many other concerns and issues that you all wondered about.

1.Tithing: I am not going to completely stop tithing. Period. Thank you all for your concerns and opinions. There's no changing my mind. I will lower my tithes by $10 by paying the exact 10%. Every little dollar counts, right?

I have no church pledge for tithes. I'm simply tithing based on my income. (Or I will be in the future.) My church isn't forcing me to tithe. Honestly, my church won't be hurt if I don't tithe but I do think my tithing helps. I hope that makes sense. Please understand that tithing is completely my choice.

I did include tithing in my original post. In hindsight, like a lot of my financial choices, this was a mistake. I wish I could go back and edit, but I can't. So please, let's just all move on.

2. Work: I've posted so much personal things on here already, I would like to keep this private. I hope you all understand. I will say that the poster asking about social work is in the right neighborhood.

3. Job dues: This is a monthly fee for Birthdays and Holidays for my co-workers and I.

4. Degree: I have a Bachelor's degree and I am working in my field of study. There is little growth in the area I'm in and I'm looking to move around and/or leaving this field completely.

5. Retirement: I am contributing to a retirement saving through work. This means virtually nothing though as I don't plan on working at my job long enough to be vested.

I hope I've answered some of your questions.

Again, thanks for your help and I look forward to giving more positive updates on lowering my debt.
I'll accept the reasoning for the tithing. This is actually one of the reasons I don't go to church. I understand the thinking of "it doesn't belong to me," though. If you believe it, you believe it. Just don't mention it. List your income as $230 less. If you mention it, it looks like a glaring big amount of money that could be paring down that debt.

I would put what you're saving down on the smaller student loan every month and continue #4. If there is no money in this field, there never will be.

Old 03-09-2017, 06:17 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,571,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
I'll accept the reasoning for the tithing.
How generous of you! The OP was probably crying in her pillow wondering if that would be ok with you.

Quote:
Just don't mention it. List your income as $230 less.
Why? Why do we have to lie? Because others can't control themselves? People do not have to follow every piece of advice to the letter to get help. And that would be impossible anyway as different people have different advice.

Old 12-05-2017, 02:41 PM

90 posts, read 73,557 times
Hello all,

Thanks for all of the previous the great advice! I'm back with a little update. Some things have changed (I paid off my NAVIENT student), some have stayed the same and some have gotten worse.

I'm 31 years old and I still don't know how to adult. I moved in with my parents indefinitely and they make me pay rent. I still haven't saved a dime. (I know I still suck as a person because of this. )

Some UPDATED background info:

I make $2085.00 a month and I have close to $50,000 of total debt.

Nelnet - $23,000 - 6.8%
Credit Card(Medical) - $6,000 -0% for 24 months starting in January

**Nelnet is in forbearance until September of 2018.

I also have a car loan of about $21,000. My car was bought new. It is a 2015 Honda Civic. I have to drive a lot for work, so I needed something reliable.

Car Loan - $18,000 - 1.9%

I have still have pretty good credit: 725

That's all concerning my debt.

My monthly expenses starting in January will be:

$374.00 - Car Note
$400.00 - Rent for parents
$$125.00 - Car Insurance
$150.00 - Gas
$150.00 - Food
$44.00 - Cell phone
$125.00 - Life Insurance
$11.00 - Gym (My parents live in a pretty rough neighborhood, so walking around outside for exercise isn't an option.)
$55.00 - Dry cleaners
$400.00 - Credit Card (Medical)
$200.00 - Emergency Fund ( I hope to save $1500.00 as quickly as possible. I actually did save it and was good for 5 months and then life happened.)
$50 - MISC

I don't plan on paying on Nelnet until September when my forbearance is over.

This virtually leaves me no room for anything.

Please help...again.

Old 12-05-2017, 02:59 PM

192 posts, read 131,216 times
Quote:
Hello all,

Thanks for all of the previous the great advice! I'm back with a little update. Some things have changed (I paid off my NAVIENT student), some have stayed the same and some have gotten worse.

I'm 31 years old and I still don't know how to adult. I moved in with my parents indefinitely and they make me pay rent. I still haven't saved a dime. (I know I still suck as a person because of this. )

Some UPDATED background info:

I make $2085.00 a month and I have close to $50,000 of total debt.

Nelnet - $23,000 - 6.8%
Credit Card(Medical) - $6,000 -0% for 24 months starting in January

**Nelnet is in forbearance until September of 2018.

I also have a car loan of about $21,000. My car was bought new. It is a 2015 Honda Civic. I have to drive a lot for work, so I needed something reliable.

Car Loan - $18,000 - 1.9%

I have still have pretty good credit: 725

That's all concerning my debt.

My monthly expenses starting in January will be:

$374.00 - Car Note
$400.00 - Rent for parents
$$125.00 - Car Insurance
$150.00 - Gas
$150.00 - Food
$44.00 - Cell phone
$125.00 - Life Insurance
$11.00 - Gym (My parents live in a pretty rough neighborhood, so walking around outside for exercise isn't an option.)
$55.00 - Dry cleaners
$400.00 - Credit Card (Medical)
$200.00 - Emergency Fund ( I hope to save $1500.00 as quickly as possible. I actually did save it and was good for 5 months and then life happened.)
$50 - MISC

I don't plan on paying on Nelnet until September when my forbearance is over.

This virtually leaves me no room for anything.

Please help...again.

You won't like hearing this but your car expenses are far far too high. And why are you paying so much on life insurance? Are you married? And 55 monthly for dry cleaners?

Old 12-05-2017, 04:03 PM

10,363 posts, read 7,993,227 times
^^^Agree. Ditch the dry-cleaning and the life insurance. You don't need it, and you can't afford it. That right there will give you an extra $180/month to use on your debts.

'Tis the season when stories are hiring extra help for the holidays. I'd look for a second job (evenings or weekends, whatever works with your primary job's schedule) to pull in some extra income. I'd also start seriously looking for a better job!

At 31, you aren't "learning adulting," you ARE an adult. Time for a mental shift.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance