Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2019, 07:45 PM

8,736 posts, read 8,674,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iShine86 View Post
Galaxy pretty much nailed it, flying.

I'm a hot mess when it comes to my finances. Although I'm not longer "drowning", I'm treading and quickly running out of energy.
Oh sorry to hear that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2019, 07:45 PM

90 posts, read 73,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
No guessing required

Should I get a personal loan to pay off debt?

Not going to bother to repeat the advice you got 2.5 years ago that you have chosen not to follow

ok.

Old 11-12-2019, 09:35 PM

1,449 posts, read 1,150,481 times
Quote:
Well that cost money that I don't have, so...
...so, go to the library and check out some self-help books. You'll need to actually read them, contemplate what's helpful and what's not, and then take action. Kinda like you should've been doing over the past 2.5 years with the advice you were so generously offered by strangers here.

You *can* improve your situation; whether you *will* or not is the question.

Old 11-13-2019, 08:12 AM

Guys,

I've actually applied some of the advice that I've been given and my debt is down to about $30,500. Also, I haven't been behind on bills since the start of this thread.

However, it's been really discouraging because I've worked really hard this year and it seems like I've barely made progress.

My current situation:

Credit score: 722

Car Loan: $8,385.99 - 1.9% interest rate
Student Loan: $22,053.91 - 6.8% interest rate

My current debt total is $30,439.90 as of this morning and my yearly take home pay is roughly $34,400.

I have a little in retirement and I also have a small emergency fund. I still live with my parents and I'll probably stay with them until I'm married. Debt free or not.

I've applied to a ton of restaurants to be a waitress/hostess and haven't heard anything. Not a single call back. This, too, is discouraging. I'm going to focus on applying to only retail for now until the end of the year.

Monthly expenses:

Tithes: $385
Rent: $400
Car Insurance: $120
Gas: $160
Food: $160
Cell phone: $44
Life Ins: $25
Gym: $11
Car Loan: $374
Student Loan: $191
MISC: $250
*MISC includes household items, women hygiene items, parking fees, etc...

Tithing is important to me. I know you guys are going to give me grief about this. I think life insurance is also necessary. You just never know what's going to happen. These are the only two items that I'm unwilling to budge on.

I'm currently 33 and it would be nice to be debt free by 35.

Old 11-13-2019, 08:50 AM

10,363 posts, read 7,995,858 times
Quote:
Tithing is important to me. I know you guys are going to give me grief about this.
Yes, because it's a big part of your budget and you honestly can't afford it at this point. People who are in debt have no "extra" money to give away. It's all spoken for.

Quote:
I think life insurance is also necessary.
Why? Do your parents depend on your income? I doubt it. They'd be sad if you kicked the bucket, but I doubt they'd be suffering financially. Life insurance is about protecting loved ones who depend on your income from sudden loss of that income due to your death. You honestly don't need it right now (and maybe not ever).

Old 11-13-2019, 09:01 AM

270 posts, read 203,451 times
You don't think it's strange that you are paying almost the same amount for tithe that you pay in rent? If you can barely afford to make it that's a bit crazy. You know you could just lower the tithe amount and make "catch up payments" in the future when you can afford it if it's really that important to you. I have relatives that donate too much of their income to the church so they can never afford to survive and feed their kids properly because of it. I'm sure god wouldn't want people breaking the bank to pay tithe when they can can't even take care of themselves. you should go listen to Dave ramsey dude is super religious and even he would advise against this. Over the past couple years what's been holding you back from changing career paths so you can make more?

Old 11-13-2019, 09:23 AM

1,449 posts, read 1,150,481 times
OK, I get the OP's *desire* to tithe, but here's how I see it: If tithing is done to support a church which in turn supports programs for those in need, when you *are* the one in need, it makes no sense to tithe. By doing so and perpetuating your neediness, you are actually being a poor steward of your gifts. If you are in a season of life (Ecclesiastes 3, if you wanna get Biblical ) where you cannot even take care of yourself (and you're burdening your parents at age 33), you have no business giving that money away (it's "time to keep"). You can always make up for this season, in spades if you can/want to, later in life. If it makes you feel better, keep a tab of what you would currently tithe if you could really afford to do so, even add interest to it if that makes you feel even better!, so that when you get there, you'll know what you "owe". Then use that money to improve your situation so you can -- down the road -- tithe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
Why? Do your parents depend on your income? I doubt it. They'd be sad if you kicked the bucket, but I doubt they'd be suffering financially. Life insurance is about protecting loved ones who depend on your income from sudden loss of that income due to your death. You honestly don't need it right now (and maybe not ever).
Agree with this 100%. Unless you have someone who is financially dependent on you, life insurance is a complete waste of money. If you feel you must carry something that would cover burial/cremation expenses so your parents aren't stuck with that should tragedy strike, look into joining a credit union. The credit unions I have belonged to have always offered a small life insurance policy for their members (like $10K) for free. That's all you need.

I would also encourage you to get some credit counseling, particularly with respect to your student loans since those are your biggest burden. I have no clue what the rules are for them, but I do know they are not the same as other types of debt. I'm sure there are free counseling resources available...maybe someone on this forum knows where to start with that.

Old 11-13-2019, 09:28 AM

Thanks for the responses, you guys.

I knew these two items were going to be an issue for some people and I really debated on not putting them at all.

Anyway, to answer your questions.

Life Insurance: My parents do not depend on my income but it would help them if something were to happen to me.

Tithes: Dave Ramsey is 100% pro tithe, fyi. I've started listening to him quite a bit this year.

My career path hasn't changed because I'm unqualified in anything else and I refuse to go back to school to become qualified. I simply can't afford it.

Old 11-13-2019, 09:30 AM

34,092 posts, read 83,010,632 times
Quote:

I knew these two items were going to be an issue for some people...
When they're an issue for YOU... you'll start to dig out of the hole you're in.

Old 11-13-2019, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmerLernen View Post
OK, I get the OP's *desire* to tithe, but here's how I see it: If tithing is done to support a church which in turn supports programs for those in need, when you *are* the one in need, it makes no sense to tithe. By doing so and perpetuating your neediness, you are actually being a poor steward of your gifts. If you are in a season of life (Ecclesiastes 3, if you wanna get Biblical ) where you cannot even take care of yourself (and you're burdening your parents at age 33), you have no business giving that money away (it's "time to keep"). You can always make up for this season, in spades if you can/want to, later in life. If it makes you feel better, keep a tab of what you would currently tithe if you could really afford to do so, even add interest to it if that makes you feel even better!, so that when you get there, you'll know what you "owe". Then use that money to improve your situation so you can -- down the road -- tithe.

Agree with this 100%. Unless you have someone who is financially dependent on you, life insurance is a complete waste of money. If you feel you must carry something that would cover burial/cremation expenses so your parents aren't stuck with that should tragedy strike, look into joining a credit union. The credit unions I have belonged to have always offered a small life insurance policy for their members (like $10K) for free. That's all you need.

I would also encourage you to get some credit counseling, particularly with respect to your student loans since those are your biggest burden. I have no clue what the rules are for them, but I do know they are not the same as other types of debt. I'm sure there are free counseling resources available...maybe someone on this forum knows where to start with that.
I'll look into the credit union life insurance thing. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance