Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2019, 09:32 AM

3,092 posts, read 1,947,747 times

Advertisements

Why in the world would you be unwilling to budge on life insurance? That just seems downright hard headed to me. You've already thrown away how much money on it? You should never have taken out that policy in the first place. Continuing with it is just throwing bad money after good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2019, 09:33 AM

90 posts, read 73,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
When they're an issue for YOU... you'll start to dig out of the hole you're in.
I see what you did there.

Maybe I'll just cut back on my MISC monthly expense.

Old 11-13-2019, 09:35 AM

1,449 posts, read 1,149,862 times
I'm out. Continuing to try to help is as insane as the OP's continuing to waste money and then whine about her financial situation.

Old 11-13-2019, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dysgenic View Post
Why in the world would you be unwilling to budge on life insurance? That just seems downright hard headed to me. You've already thrown away how much money on it? You should never have taken out that policy in the first place. Continuing with it is just throwing bad money after good.
It's pretty cheap though for a half million dollar policy. No?

Old 11-13-2019, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmerLernen View Post
I'm out. Continuing to try to help is as insane as the OP's continuing to waste money and then whine about her financial situation.
Bye. Thanks for your advice about using the credit union for life insurance.

Old 11-13-2019, 09:37 AM

35,081 posts, read 31,322,562 times
IMO, you need more of an income increase than anything else. The car insurance and gas also seem awfully high. I pay half that for insurance on a 2015 Cherokee. My gas is not that bad and I commute 40 miles roundtrip per day.

Old 11-13-2019, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
IMO, you need more of an income increase than anything else. The car insurance and gas also seem awfully high. I pay half that for insurance on a 2015 Cherokee. My gas is not that bad and I commute 40 miles roundtrip per day.
I commute twice as much per day. However, I totally agree about the car insurance.

Old 11-13-2019, 09:55 AM

270 posts, read 203,417 times
The more I read these comments i'm starting to think you like where you are. If that's the case then fine. Don't you have a college degree? Are you using it? Why haven't you changed your field over the past couple years? If you're not willing to change your budget then you must create more income. so what's the issue there? I saw the comments about the part time jobs not calling back but have you tried applying to jobs that would lead to a career and give you the ability to take care of yourself?

Old 11-13-2019, 10:03 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,457,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iShine86 View Post
Guys,

I've actually applied some of the advice that I've been given and my debt is down to about $30,500. Also, I haven't been behind on bills since the start of this thread.

However, it's been really discouraging because I've worked really hard this year and it seems like I've barely made progress.

My current situation:

Credit score: 722

Car Loan: $8,385.99 - 1.9% interest rate
Student Loan: $22,053.91 - 6.8% interest rate

My current debt total is $30,439.90 as of this morning and my yearly take home pay is roughly $34,400.

I have a little in retirement and I also have a small emergency fund. I still live with my parents and I'll probably stay with them until I'm married. Debt free or not.

I've applied to a ton of restaurants to be a waitress/hostess and haven't heard anything. Not a single call back. This, too, is discouraging. I'm going to focus on applying to only retail for now until the end of the year.

Monthly expenses:

Tithes: $385
Rent: $400
Car Insurance: $120
Gas: $160
Food: $160
Cell phone: $44
Life Ins: $25
Gym: $11
Car Loan: $374
Student Loan: $191
MISC: $250
*MISC includes household items, women hygiene items, parking fees, etc...

Tithing is important to me. I know you guys are going to give me grief about this. I think life insurance is also necessary. You just never know what's going to happen. These are the only two items that I'm unwilling to budge on.

I'm currently 33 and it would be nice to be debt free by 35.
If I were in your shoes going back a couple years ago I would've structured my budget and situation to look like this:

Get rid of:

Tithes: +385
Life insurance: +25

I would be driving an older cheap Prius getting twice the mileage with $40/month insurance (that is full coverage btw, we have it on our Prius)

Thus also getting rid of
Car loan: +374
Gas: +80
Insurance : +80

Total savings +944/month or $11,328 a year. Everything else looks pretty normal and not extravagant, all you need next is more employment experience/better job.

You had the ability to get ahead but are just unwilling. I don't know how people can go through life just treading water...that would be stifling to me.

Old 11-13-2019, 10:07 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,457,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmerLernen View Post
These people don't really want help, they just want to vent and look for empathy.

Normally what you find in almost every woe is me story is a long history of poor decision making skills. Everyone makes dumb decisions, I am certainly a good example(!), but a long path of bad decisions and unwillingness to change course is pretty standard in examples such as the OP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance