Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2019, 12:00 PM

90 posts, read 73,557 times

Advertisements

It might not seem like it, but I am trying here.

I feel really terrible for essentially throwing my parents under the bus. They're fine. Their debt isn't that great.

I might be delusional to some but I won't apologize for the way I feel and my beliefs. Call me names, stop replying to this thread, whatever. It is what it is. I promise I can take it.

If you don't have any other suggestions besides getting rid of tithing and life insurance, then it might be best for you to just stop replying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2019, 12:03 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,457,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlong2315 View Post
385 *6 = 2310 but were not talking about why donating almost the same cost of helping her parents keep a roof over her head is more important than her ability to care for herself. Life insurance in this case is a waste of money but $25 life insurance isn't really hurting her at all.
That is my point...it's like foregoing the gummy worm due to calories and instead eating an entire cheese cake. Maybe you aren't talking about it but many did, including myself.

Old 11-13-2019, 12:05 PM

90 posts, read 73,557 times
Thank you all for your responses. It may seem like an easy solution for you guys, but it isn't for me. I really have a lot to think about and you all have given me some great advice. I really appreciate it even if it seems like I don't.

Old 11-13-2019, 12:05 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,457,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iShine86 View Post

I feel really terrible for essentially throwing my parents under the bus. They're fine. Their debt isn't that great.

I might be delusional to some but I won't apologize for the way I feel and my beliefs. Call me names, stop replying to this thread, whatever. It is what it is. I promise I can take it.

If you don't have any other suggestions besides getting rid of tithing and life insurance, then it might be best for you to just stop replying.
Math is math. You can try to make your budget add up differently but it won't happen. You are similar to my mother in law who truly believes she must send good thoughts out into the universe for her to get good things back. She is unwilling to make structural changes and face reality.

Math is reality. You can wish in one hand and **** in another and see which hand fills up first...

Old 11-13-2019, 12:11 PM

3,925 posts, read 6,840,880 times
Quote:

Those are the only two things within your budget that can be cut. The rest seems extremely reasonable given today's world. So the only other option is to increase your income which will require you to put in a lot more effort than simply cutting your tithe.

So since cutting your tithe isn't an option. How are you going to go about getting additional income? Some ideas are Uber, MLM schemes, new career/job. Surely with a college education you can get a job paying you more money, especially at your age.

I recommend you open a new thread asking how to go about getting a higher paying job. In the opening post present us with your degree/college and experience as well as your location and any thoughts around what you enjoy and what you hate about your current job. I'm sure you will be able to learn something that way.

Old 11-13-2019, 12:11 PM

31,340 posts, read 14,274,675 times
Quote:
Guys,

I've actually applied some of the advice that I've been given and my debt is down to about $30,500. Also, I haven't been behind on bills since the start of this thread.

However, it's been really discouraging because I've worked really hard this year and it seems like I've barely made progress.

My current situation:

Credit score: 722

Car Loan: $8,385.99 - 1.9% interest rate
Student Loan: $22,053.91 - 6.8% interest rate

My current debt total is $30,439.90 as of this morning and my yearly take home pay is roughly $34,400.

I have a little in retirement and I also have a small emergency fund. I still live with my parents and I'll probably stay with them until I'm married. Debt free or not.

I've applied to a ton of restaurants to be a waitress/hostess and haven't heard anything. Not a single call back. This, too, is discouraging. I'm going to focus on applying to only retail for now until the end of the year.

Monthly expenses:

Tithes: $385
Rent: $400
Car Insurance: $120
Gas: $160
Food: $160
Cell phone: $44
Life Ins: $25
Gym: $11
Car Loan: $374
Student Loan: $191
MISC: $250
*MISC includes household items, women hygiene items, parking fees, etc...

Tithing is important to me. I know you guys are going to give me grief about this. I think life insurance is also necessary. You just never know what's going to happen. These are the only two items that I'm unwilling to budge on.

I'm currently 33 and it would be nice to be debt free by 35.

What kind of shape is your church in, financially? Do you realize that the average giving, whether Catholic, or Protestant, is around 2%? If your church is in decent shape financially I would take a serious look at reducing your tithing. I applaud you for giving but you could look to cut back.

Not much else to cut unless your parents will give you a break on the already generous $400.

Seems like you are working hard and trying to do the right thing -- Kudos...

Old 11-13-2019, 12:15 PM

10,363 posts, read 7,993,227 times
Quote:
How is canceling the life insurance policy "throwing your parents under the bus"? Do yo have plans to kill yourself (while making your death look like an accident) so they will get a payout? Because that's the ONLY way they will benefit from that policy. As long as you stay alive, that policy is worthless to them. And I'm pretty sure your parents would prefer it if you stay alive.

Old 11-13-2019, 12:26 PM

270 posts, read 203,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
How is canceling the life insurance policy "throwing your parents under the bus"? Do yo have plans to kill yourself (while making your death look like an accident) so they will get a payout? Because that's the ONLY way they will benefit from that policy. As long as you stay alive, that policy is worthless to them. And I'm pretty sure your parents would prefer it if you stay alive.
I agree with this!!! Parents don't typically plan to out live their kids so a insurance policy on you for the benefit of your parents makes no sense. Also we all get that for whatever reason you're not going to cut back on the tithe so coming up with a plan to increase your income is where you are after 30 pages of comments.

Old 11-13-2019, 12:30 PM

3,024 posts, read 2,242,123 times
iShine, I have been really impressed with your responses to some pretty tough questions and criticism.

For the student loans (and sorry if this has already been mentioned somewhere in the last 30 pages), have you signed up for automatic payments (usually results in a small interest rate deduction, as does a good run of paying on time), looked into refinancing (are these private or fed loans), and/or added additional funds over the minimum (even just rounding it up to $200 would count toward the principle and help).

See also if there is something you can do on that car loan: https://www.investopedia.com/how-to-...ayment-4685810. And next time, don't ever buy new. You can get a great, reliable used car. I bought a 4-yo Toyota, and today it is 17 years old and runs (and looks!) great.

Does your job offer any reimbursements for gas, mileage, or cell plans?

Old 11-13-2019, 12:51 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,970,454 times
Quote:
Well that cost money that I don't have, so...
Not necessarily. Start watching Marisa Peer on YouTube. Then implement. She's excellent. Gives very actionable advice. No psychobabble.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance