Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2018, 06:05 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,716,602 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Not all the time. Sometimes you pay off the lowest debt first to build up some moral victories, the debt snowball method
while i understand the psychological benefits of that; its hard for me to tell someone to take the route that will cost them more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2018, 08:43 PM

1,286 posts, read 1,483,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iShine86 View Post
$25.00 - Life Insurance
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Unless you have kids, you don't need a life insurance policy.
Agreed. Don't think that is necessary. Although some people will insist it is. You could trim that off your monthly expense. What do you do for medical/dental/vision coverage? Employer provided?

Old 08-24-2018, 10:51 PM

151 posts, read 107,702 times
Oh honey, I do feel bad for you. I'm a mom of two kids in their twenties, and I know life can be hard. I give you virtual hugs - don't give up.

Okay, having said that (if my kids could hear me say this in my head, they'd definitely recognize my tone haha)...

It's frustrating reading two year's worth of comments, because logic is just bouncing off you like you're a brick wall. You were in the depths of despair when you first posted, and nothing much has really changed for you, except in the smallest ways. Even though I (and everyone else here) can tell you exactly what to do to fix things, only you can make the changes necessary to get back on track. You're not a kid, you have no excuse for your poor life decisions in that regard. You're going to be FORTY in eight years! Let that sink in. Perhaps it's time to (wo)man up.

You need to change careers if you ever hope to get out of this mess. I know you have a degree which is also the debt that's an anchor around your neck, but it's time to cut your losses. Even being a retail manager or something else that doesn't require more education would earn you more money than what you're doing now. If you got a different job, you could sell that damn car and buy something used for five grand, or take transit, or carpool, or even Uber once in a while. Anything is cheaper than owning a car. How long is your abomination of a car loan for? The minute you can sell the car and pay off the remaining balance, do it. Again, cut your losses. Stop the bleeding.

Talk to your pastor/minister/priest. Ask him what he thinks of your tithing when you are struggling with basic life management. I'm curious to know what he'd say.

If you're so bad at adulting, maybe let your mom or dad hold onto your weekly spending money and be the gatekeeper between you and emotional shopping.

All these suggestions probably seem really awful to you, like, panic attack awful - but there comes a point where you have to do what you HAVE to do, not what you want to do. Be strong.

Good luck.

Old 08-27-2018, 08:02 AM

35,083 posts, read 31,331,023 times
This is about the same place you were last year. Life is always going to be a struggle on that low of an income.

Old 08-27-2018, 11:27 AM

90 posts, read 73,581 times
I'm upside down on my car loan. I've thought about aggressively paying on my car loan until I break even or lower before trading it in. Maybe even paying aggressively on my car loan until the end of the year before aggressively working on my student loan.

Old 08-27-2018, 11:44 AM

3,050 posts, read 4,995,125 times
Car loan and student loan. Two words that should never be in the same sentence.

Old 08-27-2018, 11:56 AM

4,031 posts, read 3,644,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chahunt View Post
Agreed. Don't think that is necessary. Although some people will insist it is. You could trim that off your monthly expense. What do you do for medical/dental/vision coverage? Employer provided?

It may not be necessary now but what if OP becomes too ill to qualify for it when he/she does need it? For $25 a month I don't think I'd recommend getting rid of it.

Old 08-27-2018, 12:46 PM

9,375 posts, read 6,984,194 times
Thank your parents every day for only having to pay a $400 rent. Anywhere else on your own would be much more expensive and likely nowhere near as nice. I'd suggest a side/part-time job to boost income and I'd suggest eliminating all future debt occurrences.

Old 08-27-2018, 02:39 PM

1,921 posts, read 4,776,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFL_Native View Post
Thank your parents every day for only having to pay a $400 rent. Anywhere else on your own would be much more expensive and likely nowhere near as nice. I'd suggest a side/part-time job to boost income and I'd suggest eliminating all future debt occurrences.

Believe me, I'd rather give my kids sound career advice and financial education than having to offer them a discounted rent in the basement.

Old 08-27-2018, 03:37 PM

2,873 posts, read 2,063,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iShine86 View Post
I would love to go to graduate school, but I don't have the time or money. It is what it is.
Does your employer offer any kind of tuition assistance? If not, is there a chance to change jobs to one who does? If that's the case, you need to make the time IF and only IF having that additional degree would enable more income.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance