Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2019, 03:48 AM

7,048 posts, read 6,300,442 times

Advertisements

Tithes are needed by churches. Pastors get salaries, buildings need heat and electricity and sometimes repair. Programs for children need supplies.

I understand tithing and believe in it. But, in a case where the person is hurting themselves monetarily, giving of time can be equated.

The car insurance. It's my understanding that if you have a car loan you have to pay for full comprehension. I don't know for sure since I've always paid cash for my cars so that might not be negotiable.

I do think just having enough to bury you is enough life insurance. Some say $10,000. I'm not seeing where it costs that much but I don't know.

You seem to be on the right track though. Good for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2019, 05:15 AM

34,092 posts, read 83,000,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iShine86 View Post
I feel like I'm drowning in debt.
It FEEL's like that but the reality is that you are suffocating yourself.
Take the plastic bag off your head.

Old 11-14-2019, 05:28 AM

50,379 posts, read 64,021,617 times
I’ve been thinking this, so I’ll just say it...Were your parents tithing while you were growing up, instead of taking care of your teeth? If so, their priorities were wrong.

Old 11-14-2019, 08:13 AM

90 posts, read 73,557 times
1. I'm noticing that my current car insurance is actually SIGNIFICANTLY lower than other places. I'm paying $120 a month despite being in two accidents(one at fault) and receiving a speeding ticket within the last 12 months. I'll keep searching a little more but it looks like I might keep my current insurance.

2. Receiving conflicting responses regarding the life insurance policy is really confusing me, yall. Just saying. Lol! However, I will get rid of it for 3 months starting in January to see how I feel.

Thanks again for the responses. I think I'm good to go for the next 6-8 months.

Old 11-14-2019, 09:35 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,332,370 times
I didn't see conflicting responses regarding life insurance.

At any rate, life insurance on a 27 year old (if I remember correctly) with no dependents is totally unnecessary. If worst comes to worst, you can get buried for a couple thousand bucks. I'm sure your parents would pony up for that. If not, it won't matter to you anyway, tell 'em to put you in potters field. Or donate your remains to science.

It won't come into effect for a while, but now is when you need to learn how to maintain and keep that car going. If you will do the proper maintenance on it, and learn how to drive properly to keep wear and tear down, there's no reason why you couldn't get 200,000 miles on it. That's an awful lot of car payments you won't be making. Your objective should be to run it till it won't run any more and then pay cash for its replacement. Once you get on that cycle, you'll never even entertain the idea of a car loan again.

Old 11-14-2019, 07:17 PM

7,643 posts, read 6,482,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
A large portion of our country has been suckered into the regligious right. It's quite unfortunate. Even worse are the (mostly elderly) who are getting scammed by the on air TV actors portraying themselves as "pastors". The whole thing is a hoot. This poster is a really good example. The way folks fall for it is just heartbreaking. My own parents are like this. Somehow even after pushing church on us my sister and I both escaped the grasp. It seems to mostly effect those in more rural southern and midwest areas of the country whom are less educated.

did you have access to the internet?

Old 11-14-2019, 07:44 PM

6,769 posts, read 5,492,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
You got this one wrong, Galaxy. The short answer is Dave says you should still tithe while in debt. Although I'm with you on cutting back to 10% if she's really giving 13%.

https://www.daveramsey.com/blog/give-while-in-debt
I listen to Dave every day, all the snippets, Chris Hogan and Rachel Cruze shows.

Including the DR snippet she includes, I have heard him say " just because I do it ( as an evengelical Christian), does not mean you have to".

He also frequently says " you can do whatever you want, I'm just saying I would never....." When someone wants to do something opposite his teachings.

Fact IS, I'd OP wants to get out of debt, her two biggest expenses are tithing and rent, next is the car payment.

If she doesn't do anything different, shell eventually get the car paid for in the time it was to be paid off.

She started this thread 2.5 years ago and has changed nothing at all. The only difference is that the loan amounts have gone down by those 2.5 years of regular payment.

To quote DR " you ( she) can do whatever you want....",

But she'll get nowhere if she continues on as she has been.

Most everyone in the past has commented on the tithing.

What is she going to do if rent is $1k/ m when she moves out? $400 for rent already paying, plus, what is the car payment? About $375, let's say $400...that's $800, shell NEED to cut tithing ( or her "misc." Category) to live on her own, which was her original goal 2.5 years ago.

But hey, she's probably waiting for a knight in shining armor to come "marry her and take her away ( from her parents)...."

But alas for her, there are no knights ...in shining armor or not...anywhere here.

She can do whatever she wants ( as Dave Ramsey says), but will have to wait out each loan, be aged,vwhat 38 or 40 before they are paid off, THEN MAYBE she can afford to move out.

This is another thread where one asks for advice and never takes any or change anything, but stays in the very same rut years ago.

Over and out

Old 11-14-2019, 10:23 PM

7,899 posts, read 7,116,034 times
More income; less expense. I would go for both.

Old 11-15-2019, 04:37 AM

18,549 posts, read 15,593,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous-Boy View Post
did you have access to the internet?
The scammers have discovered the internet too.

Old 11-15-2019, 07:05 AM

35,083 posts, read 31,322,562 times
The big problem is the tithe and a lack of income. OP should be looking for better employment period.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance