U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 10-15-2018, 09:14 AM
 
Location: Sugarland
13,761 posts, read 12,725,394 times
Reputation: 16624

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
The tipping system in the US makes no sense for numerous reasons, but as a response to the OP, I'll focus on one relevant aspect.

If OP orders a chicken dish and water to drink (with a couple of water refills), and his bill is $20, a 20% tip is 4 bucks. If he orders the ribeye with shrimp on top ($40), and 3 top-shelf martinis ($15 each), the bill could easily be $85 so the tip would be $17

Why does the server deserve a tip that is over four times as large, when it is no more work to carry ribeye and martinis versus chicken and water?
They don't deserve it. That's the same thing I was saying.

 
Old 10-15-2018, 09:20 AM
 
Location: Northern Virginia
5,104 posts, read 5,395,622 times
Reputation: 12617
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
The tipping system in the US makes no sense for numerous reasons, but as a response to the OP, I'll focus on one relevant aspect.

If OP orders a chicken dish and water to drink (with a couple of water refills), and his bill is $20, a 20% tip is 4 bucks. If he orders the ribeye with shrimp on top ($40), and 3 top-shelf martinis ($15 each), the bill could easily be $85 so the tip would be $17

Why does the server deserve a tip that is over four times as large, when it is no more work to carry ribeye and martinis versus chicken and water?
I don't know why other than the fact I'd feel like an ass for leaving a $4 tip on an $85 bill.
 
Old 10-15-2018, 09:34 AM
 
Location: Sugarland
13,761 posts, read 12,725,394 times
Reputation: 16624
Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieFan View Post
I don't know why other than the fact I'd feel like an ass for leaving a $4 tip on an $85 bill.
That's only because we know it's not the socially acceptable thing to do. It doesn't mean that you truly believe that the server deserves a $17 tip. No server has really ever done anything that I personally think is worth more than a $5 tip, but I follow the 20% rule regardless.
 
Old 10-15-2018, 10:19 AM
Status: "Disagreeing is not the same thing as trolling." (set 11 days ago)
 
Location: Texas
9,524 posts, read 3,654,679 times
Reputation: 19552
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
So one off incidents with most assuredly not a confrontation about a tip but rather an inquiry about how the service was?
Every situation is different. I haven't personally witnessed all of these situations. But yes, most of them involve asking the customer why they didn't tip more. If there is a reason. And sometimes if the customer can't give a valid reason, in some cases the manager will say "don't come back here." It would probably happen even more often but most customers walk out right after they pay their bill.
 
Old 10-15-2018, 10:59 AM
Status: "Disagreeing is not the same thing as trolling." (set 11 days ago)
 
Location: Texas
9,524 posts, read 3,654,679 times
Reputation: 19552
Also, I'm not sure why living on social security "fixed" income means someone can't tip. How is that different from a young, poor person who gets no income from any source? Lots of people have financial struggles. They choose to either dine out and pay, or eat at home.
 
Old 10-15-2018, 11:44 AM
 
Location: SC
8,791 posts, read 5,657,462 times
Reputation: 12805
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
You've probably never seen that because you tip well enough that you don't get confronted. But I have friends who have worked as servers and told me this happens (confrontations) and I've had a friend this happened to when she only left a 10% tip at an upscale restaurant. I'm not saying every restaurant does it but it does go on. Usually they will ask if something was wrong with the service. If a tip wasn't left they want to know why.
I saw that happen once... it was on the Soprano's and it didn't end well for the server.
 
Old 10-15-2018, 12:18 PM
 
Location: on the wind
7,123 posts, read 2,926,431 times
Reputation: 24143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulsker 1856 View Post
You can afford it.

If your budget is X, you order food where price + gratuity = X. It's not complicated.

If you don't want to tip, don't tip. It's not required. But if you want validation and reassurance that it's fine to order dishes that are so expensive that you cannot afford to properly tip, well, you're not going to get it from me.
Have to agree. You don't seem to quibble about going to an expensive place and treating yourself to an expensive meal, yet claim penury over the tip for serving it to you? Go out less often or go to more modest places and tip that minimum wage earner fairly.

Last edited by Parnassia; 10-15-2018 at 12:49 PM..
 
Old 10-15-2018, 12:22 PM
 
4,889 posts, read 1,226,778 times
Reputation: 3745
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nattering Heights View Post
I'd rather see a flat price without tipping, but mostly I stay out of restaurants. If you don't have a kitchen, that would be a complication, but most fast food places have some sort of salad or something healthy enough.
Go ask someone who works in an expensive restaurant how they feel about this? Guaranteed they are against it.
 
Old 10-15-2018, 12:26 PM
 
Location: on the wind
7,123 posts, read 2,926,431 times
Reputation: 24143
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
Also, I'm not sure why living on social security "fixed" income means someone can't tip. How is that different from a young, poor person who gets no income from any source? Lots of people have financial struggles. They choose to either dine out and pay, or eat at home.
That "retiree fixed income" excuse is stale and tired. When you were working and being paid a specific salary or hourly wage wasn't that also a fixed income? If you lived off assets, rents, some sort of allowance weren't they fixed over some period of time? It doesn't matter what form the income arrives in. You still have to live within your means. Short changing someone else because you claim retirement is no better than short changing them because you can't stick to a budget.

Last edited by Parnassia; 10-15-2018 at 12:37 PM..
 
Old 10-15-2018, 02:16 PM
 
Location: Kountze, Texas
1,013 posts, read 1,159,488 times
Reputation: 1267
I tip 15-25% depending on the service. If lousy service I tip $1 or nothing. I do tip my hairdresser as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top