Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2007, 11:51 AM

2,639 posts, read 3,222,922 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vpcats View Post
Take him. Take him. Take him. I would have a long time ago and if you can get him but can't keep him, maybe we could get it over to me somehow.
I just can't deal with anybody who abuses their animals and what they're doing is ABUSE in caps!

They're not really abusing him, but I would call it neglecting his emotional needs. I will watch closely and see what happens.

I'm going out of state next week for about 10 days and when I return, I'll try to strike up a conversation with her and see how she feels about him. He's a cutie for sure.

He is actually her step daughter's dog, but the sd doesn't live there. The real mom won't let the daughter have a dog in the house, hence the reason why my neighbors have it. It seems when the 12-year old comes every other week, she pays attention to him. I see her out walking with him.

I honestly can't afford another pet, and that's the truth. I wish I could. It's not an excuse and now I feel so guilty for not being able to do so.

I just don't make great money and my income is the one and only. Actually, my dogs get better health care than I do, but they're my babies and they deserve it.

I'll let you know what happens after I talk to her. You are very kind. Thank you for caring.

Last edited by KewGee; 06-06-2007 at 12:01 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2007, 12:07 PM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,156,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KewGee View Post

They're not really abusing him, but I would call it neglecting his emotional needs. I will watch closely and see what happens.

I'm going out of state next week for about 10 days and when I return, I'll try to strike up a conversation with her and see how she feels about him. He's a cutie for sure.

He is actually her step daughter's dog, but the sd doesn't live there. The real mom won't let the daughter have a dog in the house, hence the reason why my neighbors have it. It seems when the 12-year old comes every other week, she pays attention to him. I see her out walking with him.

I honestly can't afford another pet, and that's the truth. I wish I could. I just had both my dogs at the vet this week for shots, heartworm pills, etc. and the bill was nearly $300. I have to board one of them when I go on vacation and that's another bill. Last year when one needed surgery, it was nearly $1,000.

I just don't make great money and my income is the one and only. Actually, the dogs get better health care than I do, but they're my babies and they deserve it.

I'll let you know what happens after I talk to her. You are very kind.

Trust me, I KNOW about pet expenses. I have 2 dogs and 5 cats. I've been at the vet every weekend lately and some weekdays. That's separate from their vaccines, heartworm, flea & tick, dry, canned, specia diet, treats and homemade foods.. Laundry detergent and dryer because I have to wash a ton of "hairy" stuff every week and I am the only income now also.
I'm in Florida and you know our homeowner's insurance cost is really just absurd and killing many of us BUT.... as long as I can pay my MUST PAY bills (mortgage, electric, etc.) I will "afford" my pets and their care (and stuffed toys) before I buy a pair of shoes or go on vacation.

A lot of people think I'm sick and nuts when they figure how much it costs me to have all these animals but I wouldn't trade them for the world.

Many times I have to close my eyes because it's not only the expense but the time and the space that I don't have to keep getting more animals. It's so hard though to know that a little innocent, helpless animal is not being treated right. I really wish I could take every single one of them.

I think if I ever had enough money, I would get a farm - a lot of land, to help as many animals find a home as I possibly could.

Sorry...... boy........ I sure can get on a soap box!

Kew Gee... Somehow I feel like I what I wrote may sound a little "tough". It is not directed at you at all ok? I just feel so frustrated when I hear about any pets not getting the "royal" treatment and I wish everyone would feel about them as passionately as I do. I know you do. It's your neighbors that I could choke!

Last edited by vpcats; 06-06-2007 at 12:29 PM..

Old 06-06-2007, 12:30 PM

1,501 posts, read 5,680,091 times
Quote:
A lot of people think I'm sick and nuts when they figure how much it costs me to have all these animals but I wouldn't trade them for the world.
How much you wanna bet that these very people are the ones buying the most frivilous things, and drive the most guzzling gas guzzlers on the market, while whining the loudest about gas prices?

Old 06-06-2007, 01:42 PM

7,599 posts, read 18,404,425 times
I had a lady who had a 7 week old Golden Retriever / Labrador mix and she got rid of it because it was "vicious and it bites everyone". I cracked up laughing when I heard that and just helped her rehome it because a woman like her dosent deserve a living animal.

Old 06-06-2007, 01:43 PM

1,942 posts, read 8,489,416 times
I'm a baby. I didn't just cry-I sobbed at the first poem.

I think of my dog like family, and I have children. We moved across states too. My in-laws, when they heard that we rented a mini-van to move so that my dog and the two cat crates could fit as we drove about 1800 miles, was telling us to just "give them away".

We tried to tell her they're a part of the family, but she couldn't understand.

Just like when you have a child, when you decide to become responsible for a pet...you realize that through thick and thin, you have to cater your life around your animals.

Now that we don't own a home any longer, it is hard to find a place to rent, due to the pets. So we always have to pay a non refundable pet deposit, and a higher fee per month. But we deal with it because that was our choice to make.

I have gotten all three of my animals from the pound. What someone doesn't want is someone else's treasure.

Old 06-06-2007, 01:54 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,911,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KewGee View Post
This poem broke my heart when I read it. Unfortunately, it is very often true. Dog lovers, you might want to grab your Kleenex.

How Could You..............

I picked a bad day to read this tearjerker KewGee. Our little Basenji/chiwawa mix has had a disc problem in his neck for two weeks now. We tried to follow the doctors and keep him immobile, give him his steroids, and such but it has been very difficult keeping him still. Just when he starts to feel better, he would do something to aggravate the injury, so it was a perpetual cycle of get a little better, then get bad again. It never helped that when either my wife or I came home he would hear the garage door opening or something and get all excited and hop around (even in his cage).

We took him in to the veterinarian today and checked him in for at least a week. It was either that or have them perform surgery. They'll have to cage him and care for him; I just know he feels like we've abandoned him and it breaks my heart to think of him lying in that cage day after day, night after night with nobody to tell him it's going to be alright; that he'll be coming home after he's all better. And what's worse is we really shouldn't go visit him because it'll just get his hopes up that we're taking him home and then he'll have to deal with the emotional pain when we leave. Add to that he will be jumping around in his cage and may reinjure himself.

I really have not been much of a dog person throughout my adult life but I really have gotten attached to the little guy. I just wish I could tell him in some way that it's going to be alright soon and he can come back home.

Old 06-06-2007, 01:55 PM

2,267 posts, read 3,296,034 times
In November we adopted a new kitty...someone had him and given him up, then he was adopted and taken home again and then returned once again...

I call him "my poor little white cat" because he has issues but I love him all the more. He is the size of an 8 month old cat but is actually full grown. He likes to sleep UNDER the covers of my bed...he is slightly frightened of ceiling fans and I believe he gets cold so I often find him in the garage where there is NO AC.

Over time he is opening up, he even lets my cat Rufus love on him and bathe him...I love him all the more for his little strange ways.

His name is Tumnus (from The Chronicles of Narnia).

If you want to see their pictures, these are links to their Catster pages...its like Myspace for kitties.

Cat profile for Tumnus the Fawn, a male Breed Unknown

Cat profile for Salem, a male Breed Unknown

Cat profile for Rufus the Pufus, a male Siamese/Breed Unknown

Old 06-06-2007, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
I picked a bad day to read this tearjerker KewGee. Our little Basenji/chiwawa mix has had a disc problem in his neck for two weeks now. We tried to follow the doctors and keep him immobile, give him his steroids, and such but it has been very difficult keeping him still. Just when he starts to feel better, he would do something to aggravate the injury, so it was a perpetual cycle of get a little better, then get bad again. It never helped that when either my wife or I came home he would hear the garage door opening or something and get all excited and hop around (even in his cage).

We took him in to the veterinarian today and checked him in for at least a week. It was either that or have them perform surgery. They'll have to cage him and care for him; I just know he feels like we've abandoned him and it breaks my heart to think of him lying in that cage day after day, night after night with nobody to tell him it's going to be alright; that he'll be coming home after he's all better. And what's worse is we really shouldn't go visit him because it'll just get his hopes up that we're taking him home and then he'll have to deal with the emotional pain when we leave. Add to that he will be jumping around in his cage and may reinjure himself.

I really have not been much of a dog person throughout my adult life but I really have gotten attached to the little guy. I just wish I could tell him in some way that it's going to be alright soon and he can come back home.

I hope your little guy gets better very, very soon.

I am going on vacation next week and have to board one of my dogs. The other is staying with my son as it's actually his, but I've had her for almost 4 years as he lives in a small apartment not suitable for a country dog Lab.

Anyway, I'm so nervous about boarding mine. She won't have a clue what's going on and I know she'll think she was abandoned by her real mom (the Lab) and me, her human mom. I've never boarded an animal before, but I really like the place (checked it out last Saturday), and I'm sure she'll do fine. I hope I do fine as well.

It looks like she'll have tons of fun if she gets over her anxiety. I put her in the back of my truck yesterday to take her to the vet and she was shaking like a leaf. This little love weighs 54 pounds and still gets scared of strange things and not so strange things here in Texas like thunderstorms. She jumps on my lap when the thunder roars.

I had thought about having someone she knows check on her, but then realized that was a bad idea because she too would think she would be going home and then what progress was made would have to start over again.

Old 06-06-2007, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Trust me, I KNOW about pet expenses. I have 2 dogs and 5 cats. I've been at the vet every weekend lately and some weekdays. That's separate from their vaccines, heartworm, flea & tick, dry, canned, specia diet, treats and homemade foods.. Laundry detergent and dryer because I have to wash a ton of "hairy" stuff every week and I am the only income now also.
I'm in Florida and you know our homeowner's insurance cost is really just absurd and killing many of us BUT.... as long as I can pay my MUST PAY bills (mortgage, electric, etc.) I will "afford" my pets and their care (and stuffed toys) before I buy a pair of shoes or go on vacation.

Many times I have to close my eyes because it's not only the expense but the time and the space that I don't have to keep getting more animals. It's so hard though to know that a little innocent, helpless animal is not being treated right. I really wish I could take every single one of them.

I think if I ever had enough money, I would get a farm - a lot of land, to help as many animals find a home as I possibly could.

Sorry...... boy........ I sure can get on a soap box!

Kew Gee... Somehow I feel like I what I wrote may sound a little "tough". It is not directed at you at all ok? I just feel so frustrated when I hear about any pets not getting the "royal" treatment and I wish everyone would feel about them as passionately as I do. I know you do. It's your neighbors that I could choke!

It really does get expensive but as you think, I think they're worth it too. I hear so many people say they can't afford to take their pets to the vet. Well, then don't have pets. I can handle what I now have, but I'm really afraid to take on more expenses. I would feed my girls before I'd feed myself if it ever came to that.

I almost brought a puppy home several months ago that had been dumped with all its siblings in a yard where I was attending a garage sale. It took me all day to convince myself not to go back and get one. I have to think of the room and money, and I know I can't save the pet population from the awful humans on this Earth.

No, I know you weren't putting me down about the neighbor's dog. It is very frustrating for me too as you could tell by my post. I want to choke them as well. I'm going to ask questions next time I see her. I trust I can be polite in spite of what I'm really thinking.

I just noticed a poster above giving the links to her Catster pages which I will check out right away. I thought I'd do the same with my dogs' Dogster pages.

Dog profile for Katy Louise, a female Catahoula Leopard Dog/Labrador Retriever

Dog profile for Lady, a female Labrador Retriever

FAIR WARNING ~ Dogster and Catster are extremely addicting as is City Data.

Last edited by KewGee; 06-06-2007 at 04:27 PM.. Reason: add links

Old 06-06-2007, 04:24 PM

Lisa_From_Debary

I tried to give you a rep point, but I guess I haven't waited long enough to be able to do so again.

Anyway, I want to thank you for posting the Catster pages. I posted my Dogster pages as well.

Your felines are precious, and I know what joy they bring to your life.

I think all of us on CD who have pets should make pages for our furry pals so we can all check them out. It's tons of fun and much can be learned on the forums there as well. The forum made me change my dogs' food. I never knew there was such a controversy in what one feeds a pet. Of course, it's a ton more money, but that's okay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets