Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2012, 03:22 AM

1,058 posts, read 1,264,602 times

Advertisements

Philly has always been lauded as a great city for food/restaurants so perhaps it's just me but I am curious where are they at?

For example, I know DC and Baltimore's food scene pretty good and I do think DC's is overrated (but extensive) but Baltimore's is superb. From great south asian/middle eastern places in mt. vernon, to little italy, to great crabs, to amazing spots in fells point....there is a lot of variety, atmosphere, and ambience at a relatively low cost in Baltimore.

In comparison, whereas Philly seems to get a lot more respect than bmore for it's food scene, I'm finding it lacking.

Am I just missing out things? It seems like Philly has a very poor variety when it comes to asian, middle eastern, indian, south asian, sea food, etc....everything seems to be irish, european, italian fare and every variation within that scope.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2012, 08:11 AM

958 posts, read 1,198,802 times
You really don't have a clue. There's a United Nations of restaurants along Market St. from West Philly to 69th street in Upper Darby, for starters.

Honestly, how can anybody be this ignorant? Ask around. You'll find there's plenty of "variety" and it's in every single type of food you can find.

Old 01-09-2012, 08:29 AM

3,264 posts, read 5,654,477 times
No need to be so rude, as the OP is asking around right now.

Old 01-09-2012, 08:51 AM

3,391 posts, read 8,783,902 times
A poll on "city v city" forum found Philly to be superior to DC. If you really want to know use Google Advanced search and in "exact phrase" ask your question.

Old 01-09-2012, 09:11 AM

1,339 posts, read 2,486,382 times
I certainly wouldn't be surprised if Philly doesn't have the same variety of ethnic restaurants as DC for obvious reasons. I would think only NYC would equal DC in that respect. However, philly certainly has all those things that you mentioned, as well as a ton of the classic Italian, French, American, etc restaurants. For Asian, Philly has the 3rd largest chinatown in the country (which also has a lot of vietnamese), as well as a huge asian population in south philly.

Philly has a TON of great restaurants in just about any cuisine and price point, including some of the great chefs in the country (Garces, Morimoto, Vetri, etc). If there's something you're looking for that you can't find, let us know.

Last edited by Angus215; 01-09-2012 at 09:30 AM..

Old 01-09-2012, 09:26 AM

2,471 posts, read 4,020,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by couldntthinkofaclevername View Post
You really don't have a clue. There's a United Nations of restaurants along Market St. from West Philly to 69th street in Upper Darby, for starters.

Honestly, how can anybody be this ignorant? Ask around. You'll find there's plenty of "variety" and it's in every single type of food you can find.
Right. But is there really a need to be so combative?

Also while I prefer Philly's restaurant scene to DCs I would say that DCs is more diverse. Don't know about baltimore, haven't eaten there much since college, but i'd have to say that I'd be shocked if things have changed so much that Baltimore now has more international cuisine than philly.

Old 01-09-2012, 10:00 AM

7,529 posts, read 10,263,903 times
We're one year residents of Philly and are amazed by the variety and quality of food here. In addition to being frequent travelers (and diners), we moved here from Houston which has a good reputation as a restaurant city. There was an article in the local paper a few months back on a massive number of new restaurants opening here within just a few month's window: Michael Klein: 60 new restaurants coming | Philadelphia Inquirer | 09/01/2011. With that level of competition, in a Darwinian world, Philly's restaurants have to offer exceptional food to be able to stay in business.

I have never found the DC restaurant scene that compelling. I have spent quite a few dollars there for meh food. I chalk it up to too many government and lobbyist dollars with too little competition, therefore no incentive to raise the cuisine to the next level. I can't say as much about Baltimore's restaurant scene, as when I go here, I tend to either eat crab cakes or go to Little Italy - yum to both!

If you find the food here lacking, so be it. Perhaps you are not eating where we are, or just enjoying it less - it's always a mater of personal palate. I can assure you I do not agree with your view that the city offers primarily Italian, European and and Irish(?) cuisine, however.

Old 01-09-2012, 10:38 AM

8,982 posts, read 21,176,024 times
Philly's restaurant scene is a not-so-hidden secret these days. DC is coming up as well. Each of them have a fair share of both well-known and up-and-coming chefs. (Perhaps Philly has more of the former.) I don't get to Baltimore much so I can't comment there.

Old 01-09-2012, 11:59 AM

7,780 posts, read 21,886,219 times
I would agree with everyone wen they say that philly's restaurant scene is second to none..

Old 01-10-2012, 10:15 AM

1,119 posts, read 1,465,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mufc1878 View Post
Philly has always been lauded as a great city for food/restaurants so perhaps it's just me but I am curious where are they at?

For example, I know DC and Baltimore's food scene pretty good and I do think DC's is overrated (but extensive) but Baltimore's is superb. From great south asian/middle eastern places in mt. vernon, to little italy, to great crabs, to amazing spots in fells point....there is a lot of variety, atmosphere, and ambience at a relatively low cost in Baltimore.

In comparison, whereas Philly seems to get a lot more respect than bmore for it's food scene, I'm finding it lacking.

Am I just missing out things? It seems like Philly has a very poor variety when it comes to asian, middle eastern, indian, south asian, sea food, etc....everything seems to be irish, european, italian fare and every variation within that scope.
Yes, you are missing things (unless you've stayed in the suburbs). Try Philadelphia Restaurants - Restaurants - Philadelphia Magazine - phillymag.com and Phoodie.info: The New Food And Drink Blog For Philadelphia for starters (I'm sure there are many other sites). And if you don't already have a Zagat's for Philly (Amazon.com: 2012 Philadelphia Restaurants (ZAGAT Restaurant Guides) (9781604784039): Zagat Survey: Books) now's the time to get one (I believe they have an app you get for free if you have proof of purchase of the book - this comes in handy when you're at large and hungry).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia