Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2017, 05:06 PM

1,782 posts, read 1,553,097 times

Advertisements

Why do you need a larger property if you have no plans of having kids?

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillytransplant13 View Post
Not sure if you're renting or not, but if you're planning on buying in the suburbs, the school district matters. My partner and I live in the city and within the next few years we plan on buying a larger property in the suburbs. We don't plan on having kids, but we want to be part of a community that has upstanding schools to keep our house value up. Good schools generally mean neighbors who care about the town and the upkeep of their home as well.

I don't know anything about Coatesville outside of "stay away". If the town turns around then I think the surrounding areas would look more appealing, but until that happens I wouldn't consider the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2017, 06:12 AM

9 posts, read 9,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ondoner View Post
Why do you need a larger property if you have no plans of having kids?
The reasoning is generally left up to the person/people buying Some folks want privacy, some enjoy landscaping, others plan to utilize the land for gardens, or pets/animals, and others for rescue. Also, they may have family members with kids who would visit. Personally, I love to landscape, nature/weather-watch, and enjoy peace and quiet, and would therefore prefer a larger property. To each their own.

Old 01-26-2017, 07:30 AM

151 posts, read 199,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felinae View Post
The reasoning is generally left up to the person/people buying Some folks want privacy, some enjoy landscaping, others plan to utilize the land for gardens, or pets/animals, and others for rescue. Also, they may have family members with kids who would visit. Personally, I love to landscape, nature/weather-watch, and enjoy peace and quiet, and would therefore prefer a larger property. To each their own.
^This. We have two dogs and I also run a pet sitting business out of my home, so having the space would be great for guest dogs. We'd virtually be going from no yard to a huge yard. Privacy and security is key as well.

Old 01-26-2017, 08:09 PM

11 posts, read 12,469 times
It's amazing, lol. Every area I seem to have an interest in, has some issue. I inquired about the Douglassville/Pottstown area and was advised that commuting around was horrible (unpaved roads, too rural), and we actually drove down and didn't find that to be the case at all. I actually loved douglasville. Then there was myerstown. Told to stay away because it's a strict, religious, Republican town, and if that wasn't our lifestyle, we wouldn't fit in. Now, coatesville lol. I'm running out of options. And I definitely don't want to go to the pocono/Stroudsburg area. Just too close to where we're trying to get away from.

Old 01-27-2017, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amarie_b View Post
It's amazing, lol. Every area I seem to have an interest in, has some issue. I inquired about the Douglassville/Pottstown area and was advised that commuting around was horrible (unpaved roads, too rural), and we actually drove down and didn't find that to be the case at all. I actually loved douglasville. Then there was myerstown. Told to stay away because it's a strict, religious, Republican town, and if that wasn't our lifestyle, we wouldn't fit in. Now, coatesville lol. I'm running out of options. And I definitely don't want to go to the pocono/Stroudsburg area. Just too close to where we're trying to get away from.
Well, if the only issue with Douglassville/Pottstown was the roads, and you found them to be fine, I'd go that way! We have a friend who moved into a new development about 5 years ago in Gilbertsville, and he and his wife are both still happy with their neighborhood. While it takes a little while to drive up through winding roads, it is otherwise nice! If it wasn't so far north, we'd be considering that area as well.

Old 01-27-2017, 06:12 AM

16,569 posts, read 15,271,829 times
My first consideration in purchasing property is my commute to work. I'd like it to b 5 miles or less. You can always find someplace you like within that radius no matter where you are. Don't put too much stock into things like people are unfriendly, liberal, conservative, backward, progressive etc. Most likely, you won't have much contact with your neighbors anyway. That said, there are locations with a bad reputation and you should not ignore. A short drive through the neighborhood will tell you all you need to know.

Old 01-27-2017, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
My first consideration in purchasing property is my commute to work. I'd like it to b 5 miles or less. You can always find someplace you like within that radius no matter where you are. Don't put too much stock into things like people are unfriendly, liberal, conservative, backward, progressive etc. Most likely, you won't have much contact with your neighbors anyway. That said, there are locations with a bad reputation and you should not ignore. A short drive through the neighborhood will tell you all you need to know.
See, I just can't seem to make this happen! The neighborhoods in my work area are all very expensive for small, older homes on tiny patches of land. I guess it is another instance of opinion, since I wouldn't mind sitting in the car for a little longer in order to come home to a place I love. (That, and I have an occasional work from home option).

Old 01-27-2017, 10:42 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,523,221 times
Quote:
You also said this,
Quote:
....far enough to find good schools, safe neighborhoods, and purchase a new home.

Hubby, our daughter, and I will be moving to Pennsylvania towards the middle of next year. He will be commuting, by car, to NYC for work, but I will not. Seems like all the areas of new home construction, good schools, and decent neighborhoods are too far for him to commute to and from on a daily basis. Can anyone recommend anywhere in Pennsylvania that might offer all three of these desires?

Thanks in advance!
The commute to NYC was probably the #1 reason people thought that Douglasville/Pottstown was not a good choice.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia