Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2017, 07:43 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,749,363 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NawfalKulam View Post
I'm willing to live in a studio or with roommates. I'm okay paying for grocery delivery. I prefer to only need one bus/train to get to CC. I'm good as long as it's less than 1 hour each way. Would manayunk/roxborough/washington square/north central meet these needs?
Manayunk would be much better than Rox ( only has bus service). Washington Sq is in Center City but would probably be a lot more expensive wrt housing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2017, 07:55 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,749,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FamousBlueRaincoat View Post
Most people on this board wouldn't consider places like Manayunk, Roxborough, Fox Chase urban neighborhoods - may be part of the disconnect. People, especially on this board, have a tendency to think only in terms of greater Center City, even though very little of Philadelphia's population actually lives there.

Manayunk is pretty expensive, although I'm sure there are deals. Roxborough and Fox Chase would probably be pretty easy to get under 1000.
A prior poster on this board, who lived in Manayunk, answered, in another "moving" thread, that one can rent in ' yunk for under $1000.

We do have frequent posters who live in Germantown, East Mt Airy, Port Richmond/Bridesburg and S. Philly, so, we all don't push CC.

Old 07-22-2017, 09:21 AM

311 posts, read 313,789 times
Quote:
Affordability is an apartment in an urban area for less than $1000/month and a 3-4 bedroom house for under 350K.
Templetown has many apartment options like this readily available as well as extremely convenient access to Broad Street Line and other public transport. You don't have to be in a far-flung location to get a good apartment deal in Philly especially with your apparent flexibility of living options.

Old 07-23-2017, 10:36 PM

Location: NYC based - Used to Live in Philly - Transplant from Miami
2,307 posts, read 2,766,054 times
Quote:
I'm willing to live in a studio or with roommates. I'm okay paying for grocery delivery. I prefer to only need one bus/train to get to CC. I'm good as long as it's less than 1 hour each way. Would manayunk/roxborough/washington square/north central meet these needs?
Have you ever considered living in a surrounding burb?
There are lots of burbs in Montgomery County that is walkable and has train access to Center City.
I faced the same dilemma when I moved to PA. So here I am giving you a lengthy knowledge I learned about some burbs in metro Philly.

From my experience, I know:
1. Lansdale:
There is Lansdale and Fortuna train stations.
It takes around 45 minutes-ish by (one) train to go to Center City.
I used to work and live in this area when I first moved to PA. I would suggest you live around Lansdale train station.
There are various retailers within walking distance (5 - 10 mins walk) if you live near this train station.
Starbucks, Dominos, Burger King, Salad Works, some independent coffee shops, Wendy's, Rite Aid (pharmacy), GIANT (grocery store), and various restaurants (chinese, Greek, vietnamese, indian and korean). Also couple bars which I had never been since I do not drink.
Montgomery Mall is 8 minutes away by bus (#96 or 132). Oh, there is also a small independent taxi company within walking distance. Taxis usually stop by Lansdale station while free. So you can also peruse them to go to the mall.

2. Glenside:
There is Glenside train station. It takes 15 minutes to 25 minutes to Center City by a train.
The train passes more frequently compared to Lansdale's. Up to 4 times in an hour during weekdays.
And twice in an hour in the weekends.
Various retailers within walking distance from the train station:
Dunkin Donuts, Burger King, 7-Eleven, restaurants (chinese, japanese, mexican, italian, greek),O'Neill (a locally owned grocery store), some independent coffee shops, and much more. There are also couple bars and a gay cabaret-themed restaurant. Two laundromats, mini golf and organic farmer's market.
There are also cute, locally owned shops like Humpty Dumplings (They only sell dumplings with various fillings). Oh and also Keswick Theatre, which hosts various small scaled concerts and performances.
Willow Grove Park Mall is 3 stops away by train. Or you can take bus #22 (8 -10 mins).
Usually people from this area "chill" in Willow Grove Mall area. IN addition the stores available inside the mall itself, there are more stores and other big box retailers like Barnes and Nobles, etc. in the perimeter.
Fun facts: it takes faster from people from Glenside to go to Center City by train than people from NOrthEast Philly to go to Center City driving. (NE Philly has no access to train).

3. Main Line. (Can someone inform me whether it is a part of Philly or a suburb?)
There is Ardmore train station among others. It takes less than 20 - 25 minutes to go to Center City.
Again using one train.
Suburban Square Mall is just across the street from the train station.
This mall is also adjacent to WHOLE Foods.
Also within walking distance, there is everything from Chipotle, IHOP, McDonald's, Rite Aid (or CVS?), a Japanese mini mart, and various others.
Wynnewood is I think 2 stops away (or even 1?) from Ardmore train station. It has Bed, Bath and
Beyond, and GIANT supermarket among others.

Sorry for the lengthy writing. When we moved to PA 7 years ago, we were left to figure things out by our own. So I hope this could help you a bit in making your decision.

Also the rental prices would be Main Line > Glenside > Lansdale.
My rental in Lansdale for a 2-bedroom apartment was $850.
My friend rental in Glenside for a 1-bedroom apartment is $925.
Not sure about Main Line.

I am actually looking to buy a house in Glenside. Houses in Glenside range from $200K to $500K.
Typical 2 bedrooms 2 bathrooms house, decent size with lawn (not a twin nor a duplex) normally is around 220K to 320K.
I would think housing in Lansdale is cheaper.
I know I cannot find anything decent less than $350K in Main Line.

Last edited by asiandudeyo; 07-23-2017 at 10:50 PM..

Old 07-25-2017, 12:37 AM

14,147 posts, read 9,043,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
On another thread a poster who lived in Manayunk about a year ago, and lived there 2-3 years, says one can get an apt for less than $1000. Manayunk has train access to Center City. It has a young people vibe, restaurants and shops.
All true.

But the neighborhood still fits my description: "an outlying neighborhood where your commute will involve a bus to a subway or Regional Rail."

My concern here is with the "car-free" part of the OP's equation. Manayunk's a fantastic neighborhood - it grafted a hip adult playground onto an old mill town and managed not to wreck the place in the process. But living without a car there would require some contortions, though I see from a subsequent post that the OP is willing to contort somewhat.

Old 07-25-2017, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KansastoSouthphilly View Post
Manayunk has rail access to center city and has a great main street with lots of bars, restaurants and shops. It doesn't, however, have a grocery store. If you don't mind getting your groceries delivered or taking an uber it might work. It is also very hilly. Roxborough has a decent main street in ridge ave. It has grocery stores but no rail access so you would be taking a bus to/from the train.

Don't know much about Fox Chase.
The Route 9 bus, the spine line of Roxborough, doesn't run 24/7 (a minus) but it's a short trip to Wissahickon Regional Rail station (a plus in this instance).

Manayunk is the next station beyond Wissahickon on the (R6) Manayunk/Norristown Regional Rail line. The next station inbound is East Falls. Its center has several very good eateries, and the Regional Rail station is just up Midvale Avenue from it. Housing stock is excellent and you should be able to find one of those homes you describe in it.

Fox Chase is in the northeast part of the city, right by the Montgomery County line. Its center has a village ambience and several good restaurants; I count the owner of the Hop Angel Brauhaus there among my better acquaintances. The (R8) Fox Chase Regional Rail line ends right in its center, and three bus routes end there or pass through it.

Quote:
I don't think you necessarily have to live in outlying neighborhoods at these prices. South Philly south of Snyder should have apartments in this range and you can walk to the BSL. The part of fishtown near pizza brain might work and you can walk to the York-Dauphin el station. If you are willing to live with roomates you can easily find stuff in budget. I think part of the problem is that there is not that many 1 bedroom apartments in the core neighborhood since the vast majority of the housing is row homes. Apartment complexes and buildings are rare and those that exist tend to be "luxury" apartments.
Quote:
Any particular reason you want a 3-4 bedroom apartment if you're moving here by yourself (which I am guessing is the case since you say you're willing to live with roommates)?

The reason I ask is because there is a home ownership option available only in Philadelphia that will let you live right in the middle of it all - a neighborhood like Washington Square West, for instance - without going over your housing budget.

It's known as the "trinity" - the original "tiny house."

These homes designed to house working people started popping up on the city's "little streets" - the interstitial alleys you find all over the residential part of Center City - in the early 19th century and continued to be built up until sometime around 1920. (Though I have seen - and featured - a brand-new 21st-century trinity in Fishtown on "Property.")

These homes got their name because their basic form consists of three rooms stacked one on top of the other. The first floor usually contains the living room with a kitchenette, or a tiny kitchen in an ell attached to the back; variants place the kitchen in the basement (or on the first floor with a living room or den in the basement). The second floor contains a bedroom and the home's one bathroom. The top floor is usually used as the owner's bedroom. Some trinities were "expanded" by building on top of the kitchen ell; these may have either additional rooms (a small den/office, a large storage room, a third bedroom...) or a larger top floor bedroom or a top-floor rear deck. You can even find on occasion a "double trinity" consisting of two back-to-back trinities. If the ell didn't take up all of the lot's space, or if there is no ell, the home will also have a rear courtyard or patio.

The trademark feature of the trinity is the tight spiral staircase. Good luck moving your mattresses up it, but once you get them to the bedroom, you should find things comfortable.

These homes usually have square footages under 1,000. 800-850 square feet is typical. Many are priced in the low to mid $200k range. Every Tuesday, my section on Phillymag, "Property," features one of these; Google "Trinity Tuesday" to see examples.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FamousBlueRaincoat View Post
Most people on this board wouldn't consider places like Manayunk, Roxborough, Fox Chase urban neighborhoods - may be part of the disconnect. People, especially on this board, have a tendency to think only in terms of greater Center City, even though very little of Philadelphia's population actually lives there.

Manayunk is pretty expensive, although I'm sure there are deals. Roxborough and Fox Chase would probably be pretty easy to get under 1000.

Roommates opens a lot up to you. I have a relative who lives in West Philly on the edge of what's considered nice and has a roommate. Still they have a pretty small two bedroom and each portion of their rent is like the same as I paid for a 1 br in South Minneapolis a few years ago...

If you consider Roxbourough and Fox Chase acceptable neighborhoods though your money will go further. I currently live in Mount Airy - pretty close to Germantown Avenue. I have good transit access. Easy walks to the 23, H, Chestnut Hill East and Chestnut Hill West. Slightly longer walks to the L and 18 buses. Any bus I would take to the Broad Street Line. It's an easy commute though. I pay well under 1000 - when you include heat in the winter it often nudges rent plus utilities over 1000 though.

I live without a car and it's just fine. You just have to set yourself up right to be able near transit and be able to walk to the amenities that do exist. That goes for any of the non-Center City area neighborhoods.

It was a lot more walkable where I lived in South Minneapolis, and for cheaper, and with a much better jobs-in-the-city situation. For what it's worth.

Have you visited any of these cities? Because I think what it will come down to is just personal preference, and actually having been to some of them would make a big difference in figuring out your personal preference.
Something FamousBlueRaincoat left out of the transit description of Northwest Philadelphia is that the three neighborhoods above the Wissahickon Creek - Germantown, Mt. Airy and Chestnut Hill - are served by two Regional Rail lines, Chestnut Hill East and Chestnut Hill West. The East line has better weekend service. Depending on where in these neighborhoods you live, the East line especially can offer a faster commute to Center City; the West line may be a wash depending on time of day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by asiandudeyo View Post
Have you ever considered living in a surrounding burb?
There are lots of burbs in Montgomery County that is walkable and has train access to Center City.
I faced the same dilemma when I moved to PA. So here I am giving you a lengthy knowledge I learned about some burbs in metro Philly.

From my experience, I know:
1. Lansdale:
There is Lansdale and Fortuna train stations.
It takes around 45 minutes-ish by (one) train to go to Center City.
I used to work and live in this area when I first moved to PA. I would suggest you live around Lansdale train station.
There are various retailers within walking distance (5 - 10 mins walk) if you live near this train station.
Starbucks, Dominos, Burger King, Salad Works, some independent coffee shops, Wendy's, Rite Aid (pharmacy), GIANT (grocery store), and various restaurants (chinese, Greek, vietnamese, indian and korean). Also couple bars which I had never been since I do not drink.
Montgomery Mall is 8 minutes away by bus (#96 or 132). Oh, there is also a small independent taxi company within walking distance. Taxis usually stop by Lansdale station while free. So you can also peruse them to go to the mall.

2. Glenside:
There is Glenside train station. It takes 15 minutes to 25 minutes to Center City by a train.
The train passes more frequently compared to Lansdale's. Up to 4 times in an hour during weekdays.
And twice in an hour in the weekends.
Various retailers within walking distance from the train station:
Dunkin Donuts, Burger King, 7-Eleven, restaurants (chinese, japanese, mexican, italian, greek),O'Neill (a locally owned grocery store), some independent coffee shops, and much more. There are also couple bars and a gay cabaret-themed restaurant. Two laundromats, mini golf and organic farmer's market.
There are also cute, locally owned shops like Humpty Dumplings (They only sell dumplings with various fillings). Oh and also Keswick Theatre, which hosts various small scaled concerts and performances.
Willow Grove Park Mall is 3 stops away by train. Or you can take bus #22 (8 -10 mins).
Usually people from this area "chill" in Willow Grove Mall area. IN addition the stores available inside the mall itself, there are more stores and other big box retailers like Barnes and Nobles, etc. in the perimeter.
Fun facts: it takes faster from people from Glenside to go to Center City by train than people from NOrthEast Philly to go to Center City driving. (NE Philly has no access to train).

3. Main Line. (Can someone inform me whether it is a part of Philly or a suburb?)
There is Ardmore train station among others. It takes less than 20 - 25 minutes to go to Center City.
Again using one train.
Suburban Square Mall is just across the street from the train station.
This mall is also adjacent to WHOLE Foods.
Also within walking distance, there is everything from Chipotle, IHOP, McDonald's, Rite Aid (or CVS?), a Japanese mini mart, and various others.
Wynnewood is I think 2 stops away (or even 1?) from Ardmore train station. It has Bed, Bath and
Beyond, and GIANT supermarket among others.

Sorry for the lengthy writing. When we moved to PA 7 years ago, we were left to figure things out by our own. So I hope this could help you a bit in making your decision.

Also the rental prices would be Main Line > Glenside > Lansdale.
My rental in Lansdale for a 2-bedroom apartment was $850.
My friend rental in Glenside for a 1-bedroom apartment is $925.
Not sure about Main Line.

I am actually looking to buy a house in Glenside. Houses in Glenside range from $200K to $500K.
Typical 2 bedrooms 2 bathrooms house, decent size with lawn (not a twin nor a duplex) normally is around 220K to 320K.
I would think housing in Lansdale is cheaper.
I know I cannot find anything decent less than $350K in Main Line.
The "Main Line" (so named because it's located along that route of the Pennsylvania Railroad, which shaped it) consists of the city's toniest suburbs, but there are neighborhoods within it that are less expensive, like the part of Bryn Mawr south of Lancaster Avenue. It has several walkable downtowns along it; the biggest and best known are Ardmore and Wayne, with Bryn Mawr just behind these. There's also the borough of Narberth, which has a very walkable town center and a neighborly small-town feel.

Another option asiandudeyo left off is Jenkintown, the stop just inbound from Glenside. The train station is a bit of a walk from the town center, but it's generally considered waklable too, and three Regional Rail lines stop there.

Old 07-26-2017, 07:14 AM

744 posts, read 774,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post

Fox Chase is in the northeast part of the city, right by the Montgomery County line. Its center has a village ambience and several good restaurants; I count the owner of the Hop Angel Brauhaus there among my better acquaintances. The (R8) Fox Chase Regional Rail line ends right in its center, and three bus routes end there or pass through it.
Thanks to your description I decided to check it out on street view and it looks pretty charming. I think I will have to take a trip up there in the next week or two. Hop Angel sounds fun. I will admit that I am pretty ignorant of NE Philly in general.

Old 07-26-2017, 06:32 PM

1,283 posts, read 2,225,583 times
Quote:
Thanks to your description I decided to check it out on street view and it looks pretty charming. I think I will have to take a trip up there in the next week or two. Hop Angel sounds fun. I will admit that I am pretty ignorant of NE Philly in general.
Hop Angel has great food, the lunch is very cheap. I think I remember you living in Mt Airy - so the long trek on the 18 bus or Chestnut Hill West (most of which end in Fox Chase) will get you there. The 18 bus will let you see big, bustling parts of the city that usually slide under the radar though, namely Rising Sun Avenue.

Old 07-27-2017, 12:11 AM

Quote:
I will admit that I am pretty ignorant of NE Philly in general.
As are many Philadelphians who never venture up that way.

As was I, pretty much, before landing in a home in Oxford Circle for 18 months. (The "pretty much" part was because my ex did live in Frankford's Northwood section when I met him.)

The Lower Northeast especially has become the city's biggest immigrant gateway over the past 20 or so years. Largely Hispanic the further south and west you go, but also black Caribbean, Brazilian, Peruvian, Dominican, Korean, Russian: I've even seen a Mongolian restaurant on Castor Avenue.

I refer to the Northeast as "our vast in-city suburb," and i think the analogy still applies even with the changing demographics. It's home to one-third of all Philadelphians.

Old 07-27-2017, 09:58 AM

752 posts, read 458,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
It's known as the "trinity" - the original "tiny house."

Many are priced in the low to mid $200k range.
Well, let’s just say that you could get one in an inner neighborhood for $225,000. You are going to need 10% down, 2% transfer tax, the property tax upfront, etc. So you would likely need at least $30,000 cash to make the deal. Usually that is the biggest barrier to a first time home buyer as opposed to simply the monthly mortgage payment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia