Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2019, 12:14 PM

1,384 posts, read 1,756,743 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessimprov View Post
Maybe for you, it was exaggerated. For me, I had to add an hour each way to my commute basically when the Pope visited.
And for the Super Bowl, I guess you didn't try crossing Broad St. twice right after the Eagles won?
It can be a combat zone, but it just depends where you are and when. I just happen to kinda like going through it, lol.
I wasn’t actually there for the Pope. But I remember all of the hype leading up to it, and then in the aftermath, people I know said it ended up not being a huge deal.

As for the Super Bowl, we walked through Broad after the victory. Probably left the city around two hours after the game ended or so. Getting out wasn’t any worse than typical rush hour traffic I’m used to.

Don’t know how it was for the victory parade or the DNC. It’s not out of the question for us to use PATCO to 15th/16th, just a couple of logistical hurdles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2019, 12:23 PM

1,213 posts, read 956,927 times
I can't really weigh in on the traffic, as I've never had to drive in the city on the 4th, but I believe Camden is hosting a riverfront fireworks event during the same time as the event on the Parkway. From what I understand, it's a fantastic view from the Philly side of the Delaware. Just something else to consider as the that would most likely be easier to get to via driving and/or PATCO.

Old 06-26-2019, 12:29 PM

1,783 posts, read 1,556,421 times
I attended the concert and fireworks by the bridge on 4th of July a couple of years ago. Other than finding parking, traffic was no worse than midweek traffic into and out of the city (in my case, via the Schuylkill highway). You should be OK if you can book parking in advance using one of the many parking apps.

To be honest, I was more pissed of by the smokers in the crowds than by traffic. I can't remember encountering this much smoking in public events.

Old 06-26-2019, 02:34 PM

10,787 posts, read 8,767,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Take the train and other public transportation. Use Uber/Lyft if you can't walk to a place, or public transit isn't convenient.
I'd recommend not getting involved with any car transit at all and there will be detours and some street closures.
The congestion leaving the show can be monumental with it frequently not clearing up until way after midnight. 7/5 is not a holiday for a lot of people too. Center City's popularity is part of the reason. Long gone are the days when one could sit on the lawn near the Philadelphian Condo and watch it all. I remember doing that years ago when my oldest niece was a baby. She will be 53 years old tomorrow.

Old 06-26-2019, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leps12 View Post
Yeah, I was just unsure because I was there for the Super Bowl, and it honestly wasn’t that bad getting in and out then. And I remember there was a big hubbub a few years back for the Pope visit and it being traffic and parking Armageddon, and that claim ended up being quite exaggerated as well.
The Pope visit was compounded by all of the street closures.

Old 06-26-2019, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Actually it isn't all that bad, the worst part of 4th traffic is the peak times to the shore

Here is my take; drive in and park in the lot between 15th and 16th on Vine (the southern Vine) - AVOID trying to loop back around to 676 at Broad - head a little further east and you will be totally fine

That puts you close to the parkway; when you leave take 15th to Race (east) and on whatever bridge you desire

Honestly it really won be much of an issue heading in at all; leaving may have a little back up getting out of the immediate area but should not be more than an extra 10 (maybe 15 max) minutes
Yes, leaving is the problem.

Old 06-26-2019, 09:12 PM

32,946 posts, read 36,394,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
I'd recommend not getting involved with any car transit at all and there will be detours and some street closures.
The congestion leaving the show can be monumental with it frequently not clearing up until way after midnight. 7/5 is not a holiday for a lot of people too. Center City's popularity is part of the reason. Long gone are the days when one could sit on the lawn near the Philadelphian Condo and watch it all. I remember doing that years ago when my oldest niece was a baby. She will be 53 years old tomorrow.
Yes, getting out is the problem.

Old 06-26-2019, 09:17 PM

32,946 posts, read 36,394,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leps12 View Post
Yeah, I was just unsure because I was there for the Super Bowl, and it honestly wasn’t that bad getting in and out then. And I remember there was a big hubbub a few years back for the Pope visit and it being traffic and parking Armageddon, and that claim ended up being quite exaggerated as well.
Leps, your moms here are telling you to not park in the city. Don't make us tell you that we told you so.

Old 06-27-2019, 07:35 AM

1,697 posts, read 973,987 times
The Pope visit was a huge dud. My brother-in-law headed the entire transportation logistics team and it was a fraction of the people they estimated for. Not only that but the city planned for this huge uptick in restaurant and bar traffic and it turned out that all the people who came were so holy and frugal, they never went into the restaurants and bars.

Everyone I know who owns bars lost money that weekend.

Old 06-27-2019, 07:49 AM

752 posts, read 461,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redddog View Post
The Pope visit was a huge dud. My brother-in-law headed the entire transportation logistics team and it was a fraction of the people they estimated for. Not only that but the city planned for this huge uptick in restaurant and bar traffic and it turned out that all the people who came were so holy and frugal, they never went into the restaurants and bars.

Everyone I know who owns bars lost money that weekend.
Two things here, was closing Center City streets really necessary regardless of the crowd estimates? If the Pope's visit was limited to the areas of Independence Mall and the Parkway, was it really necessary to close every street in Center City for the weekend? That is obviously going to greatly dissuade the usual Center City traffic from doing business in the area.

Second, the City scared the heck out of the public about how bad security and crowds would be - they basically said that people should stay away. This became apparent in the couple weeks leading up to the event that most people were going to stay away due to the messaging from the City. Things went so far that the Philadelphia delegation went into damage control mode and reached out to the Pope to have him make a statement about how people should come see him in the days leading up to the event.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1rO1_sK_oQ
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia