Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2019, 07:27 AM

1,384 posts, read 1,754,022 times

Advertisements

So believe it or not, growing up in the region, I never actually spent a July 4 in Philly. Well, this year, that changes. I am coming from NJ the morning of the 4th and leaving that night after the fireworks. For various reasons, it has to be this way, and taking a train in is likely not an option. So, assuming I drive in and want to be in the Art Museum area for the main festivities, those with experience...just what am I getting myself into? Is this a terrible idea? Any recommendations on how to get into and out of the area relatively pain-free? Will the garages nearby be completely full and unable for me to park in? All bits of info and advice are welcome. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2019, 07:43 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,762,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leps12 View Post
So believe it or not, growing up in the region, I never actually spent a July 4 in Philly. Well, this year, that changes. I am coming from NJ the morning of the 4th and leaving that night after the fireworks. For various reasons, it has to be this way, and taking a train in is likely not an option. So, assuming I drive in and want to be in the Art Museum area for the main festivities, those with experience...just what am I getting myself into? Is this a terrible idea? Any recommendations on how to get into and out of the area relatively pain-free? Will the garages nearby be completely full and unable for me to park in? All bits of info and advice are welcome. Thanks!
Pain free. lol Traffic especially leaving will be terrible no matter what.

DO NOT try to park in Fairmount or, particularly, Spring Garden St. There will be "no parking" signs on Spring Garden St as early as 7/3.

There may be addtional parking restrictions in Powelton Village so that might not be an option. Lots of people have always watched the fireworks from that side of the river.

If you can't take pub trans it will be a nightmare.

Old 06-26-2019, 07:57 AM

752 posts, read 460,420 times
TRUTH:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
If you can't take pub trans it will be a nightmare.

OP, I know you ruled out this option but I say park at a PATCO station like Ferry Ave. and take the train in. If you get off at 16th Street, you are a 10 minute walk to the Parkway. (20-25 minutes to walk all the way up to the Art Museum).

Stress free travel!

Old 06-26-2019, 08:02 AM

34,231 posts, read 18,584,601 times
Take the train and other public transportation. Use Uber/Lyft if you can't walk to a place, or public transit isn't convenient.

Old 06-26-2019, 08:28 AM

32,940 posts, read 36,369,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHL10 View Post
TRUTH:

OP, I know you ruled out this option but I say park at a PATCO station like Ferry Ave. and take the train in. If you get off at 16th Street, you are a 10 minute walk to the Parkway. (20-25 minutes to walk all the way up to the Art Museum).

Stress free travel!
That's what I'd do. The stations and trains will be packed, but it's got to be better than trying to get out of the city.

Old 06-26-2019, 08:57 AM

1,384 posts, read 1,754,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
That's what I'd do. The stations and trains will be packed, but it's got to be better than trying to get out of the city.
Yeah, I was just unsure because I was there for the Super Bowl, and it honestly wasn’t that bad getting in and out then. And I remember there was a big hubbub a few years back for the Pope visit and it being traffic and parking Armageddon, and that claim ended up being quite exaggerated as well.

Old 06-26-2019, 10:27 AM

2,557 posts, read 2,682,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leps12 View Post
Yeah, I was just unsure because I was there for the Super Bowl, and it honestly wasn’t that bad getting in and out then. And I remember there was a big hubbub a few years back for the Pope visit and it being traffic and parking Armageddon, and that claim ended up being quite exaggerated as well.
Maybe for you, it was exaggerated. For me, I had to add an hour each way to my commute basically when the Pope visited.
And for the Super Bowl, I guess you didn't try crossing Broad St. twice right after the Eagles won?
It can be a combat zone, but it just depends where you are and when. I just happen to kinda like going through it, lol.

Last edited by chessimprov; 06-26-2019 at 10:30 AM.. Reason: Previous comment already mentioned.

Old 06-26-2019, 10:31 AM

2,557 posts, read 2,682,995 times
From NJ, you could also maybe ferry your way over and see fireworks at Penn's Landing, another great location.
Can't go wrong with the Art Museum either.

Old 06-26-2019, 10:41 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,693,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHL10 View Post
TRUTH:

Stress free travel!

This.

Old 06-26-2019, 11:18 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,935,335 times
Actually it isn't all that bad, the worst part of 4th traffic is the peak times to the shore

Here is my take; drive in and park in the lot between 15th and 16th on Vine (the southern Vine) - AVOID trying to loop back around to 676 at Broad - head a little further east and you will be totally fine

That puts you close to the parkway; when you leave take 15th to Race (east) and on whatever bridge you desire

Honestly it really won be much of an issue heading in at all; leaving may have a little back up getting out of the immediate area but should not be more than an extra 10 (maybe 15 max) minutes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia