Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 10:02 AM

35 posts, read 105,270 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bill View Post
82 mph in a 65 mph zone, and following too close to stop when someone in front puts on their brakes!

That is extremely dangerous and very close to criminal speeding, which is 20 mph over, or over 85 mph.

It's no wonder that people visiting Phoenix complain about the drivers here.

Keep the cameras is my opinion.

Captain Bill, Following too close??? You crack me up. It's people like you and that jerk that slammed on the brakes for no reason that cause accidents. Fortunately most people disagree with you regarding your love of speed cameras and soon they will be a thing of the past. To each their own.

Last edited by sengle1013; 07-12-2010 at 10:03 AM.. Reason: misspelled something
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2010, 10:54 AM

9,601 posts, read 31,704,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bill View Post
82 mph in a 65 mph zone, and following too close to stop when someone in front puts on their brakes!

That is extremely dangerous and very close to criminal speeding, which is 20 mph over, or over 85 mph.

It's no wonder that people visiting Phoenix complain about the drivers here.

Keep the cameras is my opinion.
I could not agree more, Bill.

At least keep the cameras until these arrogant, first-person-singular drivers learn to respect others.

Old 07-12-2010, 02:09 PM

concensus seems to be to just ignore the stupid thing...

Old 07-12-2010, 02:23 PM

6,341 posts, read 14,689,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
I could not agree more, Bill.

At least keep the cameras until these arrogant, first-person-singular drivers learn to respect others.
They've learned nothing in the couple of years the cameras have been there...

continuing is the definition of insanity - repeating the same actions and expecting a different result.

I agree there are lots of jerks on the road - guys who will flash their lights and wave a finger at you for only doing 5 over (seen it quite a few times) - the only thing that fixes that behavior is a cop in a marked car.

FWIW, I'm not a speeder - I've driven 100's of thousands of miles with no at fault accidents, and never even had a parking ticket. That said, I believe the cameras were installed for revenue, not safety.

Old 07-12-2010, 02:43 PM

2,852 posts, read 4,503,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippyman View Post
They've learned nothing in the couple of years the cameras have been there...

continuing is the definition of insanity - repeating the same actions and expecting a different result.

I agree there are lots of jerks on the road - guys who will flash their lights and wave a finger at you for only doing 5 over (seen it quite a few times) - the only thing that fixes that behavior is a cop in a marked car.

FWIW, I'm not a speeder - I've driven 100's of thousands of miles with no at fault accidents, and never even had a parking ticket. That said, I believe the cameras were installed for revenue, not safety.
Very well-written and totally sensible.

I don't have sympathy for extreme speeders either. At the very most I don't drive any more than 5 or 10 over.

At the same time speeding does not warrant the use of radar cameras or police action in most cases unless it becomes dangerous and aggressive with criminal intent.

In other words, law enforcement has bigger fish to fry and the cameras need to come down.

Old 07-12-2010, 03:16 PM

Mr Gorbachev, tear these cameras down!

Old 07-12-2010, 06:23 PM

1,108 posts, read 3,321,811 times
The freeway cameras (all of them) are coming down effective end of July.

Old 07-12-2010, 07:26 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,239,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Charles_ View Post
The freeway cameras (all of them) are coming down effective end of July.
I thought it was (after) July 15.

Old 07-17-2010, 08:04 AM

214 posts, read 1,310,405 times
I have no problem with them or Bill's opinions on them either. If it generates some money and cuts down some speed (which I know it has on I-10 around the airport where I travel at times) then I say "leave 'em up".

What's lost on all of this hub-bub over them is that it's a purely voluntary thing. Sure; you can get a $200 ticket from one if you want. And sure; you can call it a fund raiser in disguise. I thought much the same early on. Then it kinda hit me: I won't choose to contribute. Ok, so I had to slow down a tad bit, but even that didn't ruin my life. I still managed to get where I was going on time- and sometimes less frazzled than before with the varying degree of vehicles traveling from 55-85mph.

I just figure they aren't hurting me, costing me anything, or creating any problems for me. On the other hand they are making a few bucks when we can all use it, keep some folks employed and do keep the speeds down some. So what?

*Admittedly however I do scowl at those who feel compelled to slow from 67 to 55 going into one.....not like you can bank the 12mph for future use later!

Old 07-18-2010, 10:28 AM

6,341 posts, read 14,689,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd TCE View Post
I have no problem with them or Bill's opinions on them either. If it generates some money and cuts down some speed (which I know it has on I-10 around the airport where I travel at times) then I say "leave 'em up".

What's lost on all of this hub-bub over them is that it's a purely voluntary thing. Sure; you can get a $200 ticket from one if you want. And sure; you can call it a fund raiser in disguise. I thought much the same early on. Then it kinda hit me: I won't choose to contribute. Ok, so I had to slow down a tad bit, but even that didn't ruin my life. I still managed to get where I was going on time- and sometimes less frazzled than before with the varying degree of vehicles traveling from 55-85mph.

I just figure they aren't hurting me, costing me anything, or creating any problems for me. On the other hand they are making a few bucks when we can all use it, keep some folks employed and do keep the speeds down some. So what?

*Admittedly however I do scowl at those who feel compelled to slow from 67 to 55 going into one.....not like you can bank the 12mph for future use later!
As a safe driver, who never exceeds the limit by more than 5mph, having the cameras on endangers my safety. Having someone pass you at 90, then jump on the brakes (without looking in the mirror!) leaves you with very little manuvering room - it isn't a "rational" or expected behavior on any highway in the country - except here in AZ - and it's due to the cameras. So, they ARE hurting me.

Also, I think there's a very real safety issue with the camera flash. I would expect to be jailed if I stood next to the expressway at night, activating a camera flash. I never got a ticket, but I was flashed ( and temporarily blinded!) dozens of times at night on valley freeways over the past couple of years. Nobody has studied the effects, because it would affect the revenue of both the government and these for-profit companies. The driving public has been left out of the discussion, and real safety issues were ignored. I never "volunteered" to get "flashed", and was never given the opportunity to vote on it either.

Never mind the fact that on a couple of occasions the for-profit company at the heart of this matter altered the characteristics of traffic lights contrary to established law, and created unsafe intersections for their own profit. Refunding the tickets was the easy part - if you or I altered the timing of a traffic light making it unsafe, we could expect to spend some time in pink underwear as a guest of sheriff Joe. So far, nobody has went to jail for this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area