Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2010, 11:49 AM

2,153 posts, read 5,176,891 times

Advertisements

Parents magazine has named Scottsdale #8 for "Best Cities for families" for 2010, beating out such stalwarts as San Diego, San Antonio and Charlotte.

Survey ranks the top 50 cities based on "health, safety, education, economy and recreation".

Phoenix was #44.

Best Cities 2010: Top 50+ Cities - Parenting.com (Page 9)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2010, 04:25 PM

117 posts, read 251,246 times
Gilbert, Az was just ranked on best small cities too by cnn. I guess this is the area to be.

Best Places to Live 2010 - Top 100: City details: Gilbert, AZ - from MONEY Magazine

Old 07-14-2010, 05:04 PM

2,942 posts, read 6,518,721 times
The cool thing is that cities like Glendale, Peoria, Tempe, Mesa, Chandler, Surprise, Goodyear, etc, could have just as easily made the lists. I mean, is there really any significant difference between Gilbert and Surprise? Or Gilbert and Goodyear? It just goes to show that Phoenix metro is a really good place to live....

Old 07-14-2010, 06:55 PM

894 posts, read 2,202,474 times
Money really helps in that catagory. Scottsdale isn't exactly the broken home neighborhood.

Old 07-14-2010, 07:02 PM

2,324 posts, read 7,625,437 times
The city let south Scottsdale deteriorate something awful beginning in the 1970's.

Old 07-15-2010, 12:24 AM

8,044 posts, read 12,267,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roosevelt View Post
The city let south Scottsdale deteriorate something awful beginning in the 1970's.
South Scottsdale isn't the best ... but there are other areas much worse. It's really just an older area that has become more lower middle class. It's not very typical of what most people envision Scottsdale as being. Further south (north side of Tempe) seems to be even more questionable than south Scottsdale.

Old 07-15-2010, 01:12 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,300,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roosevelt View Post
Deteriorate as in having the best restaurants in the Valley, the W Hotel, the best night life in the entire state etc.?

Sorry but I prefer South Scottsdale to barren desert with a high price tag otherwise known as North Scottsdale. I personally don't understand the appeal of North Scottsdale. I mean who wants to live out in BFE except you are paying a lot of money for that barren land? I don't want to live near Grayhawk or TPC next to nothing. Sure, I'll play golf there but there is nothing there that warrants its prices. At least in California, most of the pricey real estate makes sense; I mean if an area is expensive, it's usually because its on the ocean or near Hollywood. A beach/ocean, I get that but why should I pay more money to stare at dirt? At least Paradise Valley makes sense. You are still within the metro and not isolated like people who live in North Scottsdale.

Old 07-15-2010, 02:52 PM

2,324 posts, read 7,625,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
Deteriorate as in having the best restaurants in the Valley, the W Hotel, the best night life in the entire state etc.?

Sorry but I prefer South Scottsdale to barren desert with a high price tag otherwise known as North Scottsdale. I personally don't understand the appeal of North Scottsdale. I mean who wants to live out in BFE except you are paying a lot of money for that barren land? I don't want to live near Grayhawk or TPC next to nothing. Sure, I'll play golf there but there is nothing there that warrants its prices. At least in California, most of the pricey real estate makes sense; I mean if an area is expensive, it's usually because its on the ocean or near Hollywood. A beach/ocean, I get that but why should I pay more money to stare at dirt? At least Paradise Valley makes sense. You are still within the metro and not isolated like people who live in North Scottsdale.
I'm talking about south, south Scottsdale from McDowell south past Roosevelt. The Thomas Road area is not so hot either anymore.

Old 07-18-2010, 11:37 PM

223 posts, read 596,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post

I can't give you any tangible reasons, but - the only place I'd consider moving to in the metro area is North Scottsdale, as defined by your 'barren desert' descriptor. I find most of Phoenix Metro to be utterly bland and lacking in many ways. It 'tries' to look like a 'normal' place, but a few watered lawns and lush gardens/trees don't fool my sensibilities that we are really in the middle of a desert and it's crazy to deny that. Scottsdale, and North Scottsdale in particular, have found a way to 'embrace' the desert 'look and feel' in a way that I find unique (the only other place that has a similar ambiance is Santa Fe).

I've spent the last 27 years in the Bay Area and am loving the 'North Scottsdale' environment. The housing architecture is predominantly Spanish / Italian / Mediterranean / Southwestern, compared to 'generic USA Ranch' style in the rest of the metro, and the landscaping along roads, medians, freeways, etc is gorgeous. Scottsdale is relentlessly 'consistent' in it's look/feel, and I really like that. And of course, it's easy to get to that good stuff you speak of in the 'downtown' Scottsdale area - great restaurants, shops, etc.

I'm not trying to argue with you - I respect your opinion, and it's one probably shared by many long-term residents. All I can tell you is, as a recent arrival, I find North Scottsdale utterly appealing and the rest utterly bland. I can pretty much afford to live anywhere and that's where my money is going.

I did, btw, check out downtown Chandler and it's really making an effort - that little 'square' they have going, with the San Tan brewery and the Mexican place, is really worth a visit.

Old 07-18-2010, 11:46 PM

2,942 posts, read 6,518,721 times
I guess you've never been to Buckeye.

(Verrado is far from "generic USA Ranch style"....)

In all seriousness, "north Scottsdale" reminds me a lot of Oro Valley (north suburb of Tucson). Yeah, it's really nice, and I'm sure everyone who lives there enjoys it very much, but it's not really my cup of tea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area