Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2011, 04:52 AM

9 posts, read 24,544 times

Advertisements

Pair of dinks thinking about moving from Chicago to Phoenix area sometime next year. Main reason being mainly being tired of crappy Chicago weather and people over here.

We're both very active and it really sucks when half of summer it's to humid to go biking or so, and then after two weeks of nice weather it starts snowing...

We've spending some time over last few years in Colorado, mainly snowboarding in the winters, and hiking, mountain biking and even (once) downhill biking, and we like it over there. People over there are much nicer / sportier / fitter than Chicago too.

Was wondering if you would consider people from Phoenix area similarly "civilized"?

What kind of "niceness" I'm talking about? Well lets consider drivers... In Chicago everyone will be pissed at you if you're still stopped 1.5 second after light changes from red to green... In Denver people seem to be more patient... and it's very common to hear "hi" from a stranger... so yeah... that kind of "civilized"

Yeah I know, I keep comparing to Denver, so why not move there? Well... lets just say it would be to close too family

Err I think I'll finish this post now, cause it's getting way to long for such a short question... So... people in Phoenix? Nice / not nice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2011, 05:09 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,422,460 times
I'll just tell you that you are going to get answers on both ends of the spectrum here, particularly on the "nice" question. There are people like the Chicago folks you describe (we have a lot of transplants from the Chicago area, maybe that has something to do with it! ), and you will find "nice" people. I don't always get "hi" first from a stranger, but if I say "hi" first, I get the "nice" response.

There are a lot of very fit, active people here, too, but we also have couch potatoes. But, the couch potatoes may be very nice people.

I think you might like it here; no place is for everyone, of course, Phoenix included. Come see for yourself on a visit (spring training starts soon ) and see what you think.

Old 01-07-2011, 06:13 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,300,551 times
I agree with Observer. Phoenix is not the type of place where random strangers are going to say "Hi" first or if you move into a community, don't expect the neighbors bring you a pie and wanting to get to know you. At the same time, if you make the first move, people are pretty receptive.

I don't know, I dig the Phoenix vibe. These are my people. They have what I call the "common sense personality" I really don't feel the need to say "hi" to every stranger I meet either but if someone is friendly to me, I'm certainly friendly back.

The same applies to driving. People are not rude drivers but if you are an idiot, people will honk and not be so nice. It's not like the East Coast where people try to run you off the road but if you sit at a stop light for a few seconds, yeah people are going to honk and let you know it.

We are in between the nice vs rude spectrum.

Old 01-07-2011, 08:45 AM

1,034 posts, read 4,392,797 times
Keep in mind that while winter activities are limited in Chicago due to weather, summer activities in Phoenix are often limited due to the heat. You'll need to venture up to the high country to do any comfortable hiking in the summer months. I still walk my dog daily all summer, but not until the sun goes down.

I find people in Phoenix to be friendly. I guess my best example for this conclusion is trips to my local grocery stores. For the most part, I find shoppers and checkers willing to help and overall very friendly. I agree with posters above that neighbors mostly keep to themselves, so don't expect a welcome wagon. But if I wave to my neighbors as I'm driving by them, I always get a wave back. I couldn't tell you their names though. I also agree that Phoenix residents have that "common sense personality" that riverfan described. They're not in your face, but are still receptive if approached.

In all honesty, some of the rudest people I've met here are from Illinois. Maybe they bring their bad attitudes with them.

If I were you, and wanted year-round outdoor activities and an overall "outdoorsy" feel to things, I'd choose Denver over Phoenix anyday. Or to be a little further from family, how about Colorado Springs?

Old 01-07-2011, 04:43 PM

9 posts, read 24,544 times
Yeah, first time I visited Denver I was actually wondering where's the big difference coming from. Is it just because Chicago is a such a big city? Or is it because Chicago has so many immigrants? Maybe it's just the weather? Don't know.

Wasn't expecting a welcome wagon Hate to generalize, but In Chicago for the most part if you look and smile on someone they will look at you back with this look back like I'm either gay, or rapist I just didn't want to have that anymore.

Haven't visited Phoenix myself yet, but my wife did before we were together and she really liked it over there. Sure I realize that summers will be dry sauna style... but... I do like the dry saunas Being only 3 hours away from more manageable weather during summer, and great skiing during winter, sounds just perfect to me. We don't have that luxury in Chicago.

Besides it's better to be in a bit hotter, than colder climate, just in case climate cools down.... some... which I kind off expect...

Thanks guys!

Old 01-07-2011, 04:56 PM

6,341 posts, read 14,687,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
The same applies to driving. People are not rude drivers but if you are an idiot, people will honk and not be so nice. It's not like the East Coast where people try to run you off the road but if you sit at a stop light for a few seconds, yeah people are going to honk and let you know it.
I wonder if you've ever travelled on the "Wheel of Death" ( the 101? )

I've travelled the country for work in years past(I've been known to drive 60K miles a year in a company car) , Boston to LA, Canada to the tips of both Florida and Texas. Phoenix, and particularly the northern tip of Scottsdale - has the grumpiest, most middle-finger-generous, drivers I've ever encountered.
YMMV.

Old 01-07-2011, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by voy78 View Post
Yeah, first time I visited Denver I was actually wondering where's the big difference coming from. Is it just because Chicago is a such a big city? Or is it because Chicago has so many immigrants? Maybe it's just the weather? Don't know.

Wasn't expecting a welcome wagon Hate to generalize, but In Chicago for the most part if you look and smile on someone they will look at you back with this look back like I'm either gay, or rapist I just didn't want to have that anymore.

Haven't visited Phoenix myself yet, but my wife did before we were together and she really liked it over there. Sure I realize that summers will be dry sauna style... but... I do like the dry saunas Being only 3 hours away from more manageable weather during summer, and great skiing during winter, sounds just perfect to me. We don't have that luxury in Chicago.

Besides it's better to be in a bit hotter, than colder climate, just in case climate cools down.... some... which I kind off expect...

Thanks guys!
I am downplaying the receptiveness and this needs to be discussed. The nice thing about Phoenix is you get this feeling everyone just moved here and are still open to making new friends. The speed at which this occurs is rapid and it's a nice thing. It's not like in other cities in which you have to earn their trust or try hard to break into some clique. Even if people have friendship cliques, it's different; it's not the type of clique in which 5 people grew up together and went to high school or college with each other like in other cities. Most people met each other in their mid-20's on up. In Phoenix, it's like "Oh you just moved here from Chicago, well we are going here for dinner, you want to join us" That's how it is here for the most part. Yes, your neighbors will always keep to themselves but you will notice people at work are much more receptive. People remember what it was like to move here and extend the same courtesy when meeting others most of the time.

Denver does not have that vibe. It's a much more older and established city than Phoenix with regards to its population etc. A lot of people are natives there. In that sense Phoenix is much more cosmopolitan in that people that live here hail from all over the United States.

Old 01-07-2011, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippyman View Post
I wonder if you've ever travelled on the "Wheel of Death" ( the 101? )

I've travelled the country for work in years past(I've been known to drive 60K miles a year in a company car) , Boston to LA, Canada to the tips of both Florida and Texas. Phoenix, and particularly the northern tip of Scottsdale - has the grumpiest, most middle-finger-generous, drivers I've ever encountered.
YMMV.
You must be one of those guys who drives slow in the left lane on the 101 and people pass you on the right. In all seriousness, people drive really fast but it's nothing like the East Coast where people are very aggressive in their style of driving such as switching lanes etc.

Old 01-07-2011, 05:26 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,239,172 times
Drivers here are real jerks. Then again, just about everyone here is a real jerk. Drivers are just your garden variety Phoenix jerks who are seated behind the wheel.

Old 01-07-2011, 05:28 PM

5 posts, read 11,966 times
I went to Arizona a couple of times in Summer. It was incredibly hot. Water is obviously at a premium; maybe they could have deselinated some of my sweat which was copious to add to water supplies. The people were pretty nice as far as I could tell and a bit understated. They have desert landscaping in most people's yards to save on H2O; makes sense but it was a novelty to me of course. You learn to walk slowly to preserve your energy under the Phoenix sun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area