Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2011, 03:03 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,996,442 times

Advertisements

Wow, you are very smart, but I only got your first and last paragraphs. LOL

Ok, so I know nothing of Greek mythology and your writing is way over my head.

English translation of all the paragraphs between the first and last please?

Also, just out of curiousity, but with so many places to "land" between travels, why Phoenix?

Old 01-25-2011, 03:17 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,216,031 times
also, if you have the flexibility to travel as much as you state and the ability to live in foreign lands for long stretches of time .... why can't you land in other places as a resting point or move out of a location that is hellish for you?

it just doesn't make any sense to me

I can see if there was a family obligation, severe financial constraints, etc

If you really have no fear of making the jump - why not just do it instead of waiting for the perfect scenario to present itself

Save up a few month rent, some food for the basics and find a room to rent and just go for it

Old 01-25-2011, 03:29 PM

Location: A circle of Hell so insidious, infernal and odious, Dante dared not map it
623 posts, read 1,225,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
Wow, you are very smart, but I only got your first and last paragraphs. LOL

Ok, so I know nothing of Greek mythology and your writing is way over my head.

English translation of all the paragraphs between the first and last please?

Also, just out of curiousity, but with so many places to "land" between travels, why Phoenix?
Sorry... sometimes I get something in my head, it builds momentum and I just write. There are some very close parallels between the story of Eve (Adam & Eve) and that of Pandora. In a nutshell, Zeus told the god Hephaestus to create Pandora, the first woman on Earth. Zeus gave her a box (or jar) and told her not to open it. She got curious and opened it, letting out all the world's evils and closed it just in time to prevent hope from escaping.

I know this thread isn't the place to really dig into that myth and discuss it, but a lot of people will get different meanings out of it... I was just saying I think it means people still retain hope inside. I just think if you don't give up hope, you can still leave if you really want.

The reason I had to keep coming back here was because I came back stateside without a job and had to stay with family. The last time I left was in 2006 and had a plan to not come back here... but I got really sick and had to stay with family until I got better. By the time I got better I got stuck here

Right now I'm focusing all my energy on leaving. I've had interviews as far away as Boston and have two promising leads right now. I think leaving Arizona, even in this economy and with a Phoenix address, is still possible.

Old 01-25-2011, 03:31 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,290,783 times
Sorry but I'm a realist. I'm not going to be politically correct and say an equal number of positive and negative statements to not offend people and be everyone's friend and have 5 gold ribbons and 10,000,000 points or whatever. I'm here to provide honest, real and practical advice about Phoenix and if some people take offense so be it, I'm not speaking to you, I'm speaking to people who come here wanting answers not p.c. responses that are designed not to offend people. People come here seeking answers not politically correct answers that are so vague they are useless.

There are many things that Phoenix deserves criticism for namely it's lack of a diversified economy, an urban presence and education. I've criticized Phoenix for this. I even started a thread entitled "Is Phoenix the Next Detroit". People who supposedly only state positive things don't start threads like that.

However, Phoenix does not deserve criticism for things like bugs, too much sunny weather, crime, pollution, lack of restaurants and amenities. I'm not suggesting Phoenix couldn't improve in these areas but relative to other cities it's size, these are not problem areas in Phoenix. I'm sorry but if someone is going to cite these reasons to belittle Phoenix, I'm going to disagree with them every time because it's simply misleading

Every city has it's pros and cons including Phoenix. The foolishness arises when people criticize aspects that are generally regarded as strengths of Phoenix. You might personally feel those strengths are weaknesses but people should at least be aware that those things you are criticizing are generally regarded as strengths here.

Last edited by azriverfan.; 01-25-2011 at 03:39 PM..

Old 01-25-2011, 03:50 PM

To the OP

I'm sorry but you aren't making any sense. All of the reasons you cited can be overcome if you truly dislike this place. However, I think you have become comfortable here and like it here but probably prefer to live elsewhere. If you said that, you wouldn't catch as much grief. Actions speak louder than words. Someone who genuinely hates it here would have left long ago and would have found a way to leave. Someone who likes it here but prefers to live elsewhere will take their time to leave. I don't understand why more of you can't admit that instead of acting like this is the worst place on earth. Like I said, actions speak louder than words. If you hated it as much as you claim, you would have been gone by now.

Anyway, to anyone reading this, look at the OP. She hates it here yet she is still here. Phoenix can't be that bad of a place when it's haters don't want to leave.

Old 01-25-2011, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
To the OP

I'm sorry but you aren't making any sense. All of the reasons you cited can be overcome if you truly dislike this place. However, I think you have become comfortable here and like it here but probably prefer to live elsewhere. If you said that, you wouldn't catch as much grief. Actions speak louder than words. Someone who genuinely hates it here would have left long ago and would have found a way to leave. Someone who likes it here but prefers to live elsewhere will take their time to leave. I don't understand why more of you can't admit that instead of acting like this is the worst place on earth yet you continue to live here year after year. Like I said, actions speak louder than words. If you hated it as much as you claim, you would have been gone by now.
Well, right off the bat, I would think that you being a Dr.? would realize that going uninsured with four pre-existing conditions may be a questionable decision, right? At least that is what my MD has told me. He has told me I cannot afford to go uninsured. So it is quite the risk to just pick up and leave and risk losing everything over some unseen medical disaster. Also, do you know that those who receive the same care (both the insured and uninsured) - the uninsured are more likely to die? If you have not come across that in your travels, I am surprised. There is more, but I don't think I need to elaborate given your profession.

And you don't even know me so it's best you don't attempt to attribute my motives for staying or leaving. I think I stated them quite well in my OP.

And, btw, I spent a great portion of the day on the phone trying to figure this whole insurance thing out - what to do, what I can get away with, how to save some money, etc. Insurance weighs greatly on my mind these days.

Last edited by mistygrl092; 01-25-2011 at 04:04 PM.. Reason: add thought

Old 01-25-2011, 04:02 PM

for what it's worth - a phoenix address will not really impact you when searching for jobs that you are qualified to land

from just looking at past coworkers i've had a few relocated to TX, NJ, TN, NC and IL to name a few

it doesn't sound like you are tied down more than just the security blanket of your family being here to cushion you

find a place you want to be and just go for it .... plenty of temp jobs, etc that can be found - plenty of people looking for roomates, etc

better than being miserable here .... life is too short to just twist in the wind

Old 01-25-2011, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
Well, right off the bat, I would think that you being a Dr.? would realize that going uninsured with four pre-existing conditions may be a questionable decision, right? At least that is what my MD has told me. He has told me I cannot afford to go uninsured. So it is quite the risk to just pick up and leave and risk losing everything over some unseen medical disaster. Also, do you know that those who receive the same care (both the insured and uninsured) - the uninsured are more likely to die? If you have not come across that in your travels, I am surprised. There is more, but I don't think I need to elaborate given your profession.

And you don't even know me so it's best you don't attempt to attribute my motives for staying or leaving. I think I stated them quite well in my OP.
Why would you not be able to get health insurance in another state?

Old 01-25-2011, 04:04 PM

health insurance generally being tied to a job I can see her hesitation

I would definitely recommend being aggressive in the search though - find cities that you think are a step up and absolutely canvass them

Old 01-25-2011, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
Why would you not be able to get health insurance in another state?
I am not insurable in the private sector. There is a waiting period to get into high risk pools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area