Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2011, 09:05 PM

5,546 posts, read 10,002,221 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hart4july View Post
Bitter much??
No, just tired of remaining level headed while being attacked. I am tired of trying to remain civil in this thread while words like "Look at the OP, she is a hater!" and "instead of sitting and crying and whining" have been thrown my way.

I don't think I've insulted anyway along the way and if I have, please point it out to me. I'll be big enough to admit the error of my ways. I highly doubt any of the insulters will do the same.

Old 02-03-2011, 09:50 PM

2,942 posts, read 6,519,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
Language like sitting and whining and crying (none of which I am doing as I have a bonifed reason for being here) is not exactly positive or "good advice."
What about:
"Maybe it would be best to not dwell on the bad and find the positive in your life...."

That's certainly good advice and I completely agree with it.
If you look for the negative you will surely find it. If you focus on the negative you will be bitter. If you think the glass is half-empty then it is.
If you look for the positive you will surely find it. If you focus on the positive you will be happy. If you think the glass is half-full then it is.
Attitude is a choice.

Old 02-03-2011, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritchie_az View Post
What about:
"Maybe it would be best to not dwell on the bad and find the positive in your life...."

That's certainly good advice and I completely agree with it.
If you look for the negative you will surely find it. If you focus on the negative you will be bitter. If you think the glass is half-empty then it is.
If you look for the positive you will surely find it. If you focus on the positive you will be happy. If you think the glass is half-full then it is.
Attitude is a choice.
Wasn't this Mare84's post where she also said I was sitting around whining and crying or something like that? And you agreed that was good advice? I am not going to go back and look for it. My answer is, no, I did not find that post helpful given the personal digs and insults.

Now, you can correct me if I am referring to the wrong post.

Like I said, my reason for this thread was stated in the OP. I can't help it if people are going to get all up in arms and start using incendiary language against me. And this is why I rarely post in this forum anymore. It gets old simply for expressing my opinion.

Old 02-04-2011, 09:48 AM

860 posts, read 2,716,871 times
Misty I think you have answered your own question. I have found that City Data is NOT the best place for deeper problems. I do not think Mares meant to offend you, her words of positive attitude were glib at worst. Many of us are dealing with bigger issues at this time.The one thing we can control, Thank God is our attitude. You told one poster that you were"unsuitable for Wal Mart", when he felt he may someday work there. All intonation and intent is lost on the internet and things come out all sorts of ways.

I use City Data as a way to relax and socialize, hopefully to help out others who are in the same boat, and sometimes make people laugh. I do not think its the best place for serious issues unless you have a really thick skin. I don't and I don't think you do either, my dear.

Old 02-04-2011, 10:41 AM

13,212 posts, read 21,835,413 times
Quote:
I have found that City Data is NOT the best place for deeper problems.
I don't quite agree. City Data does have forums that are much better suited for discussions such as these. Examples are the the Relationships and Health and Wellness forums. People help people with issues in those forums.

I don't think people in the city forums like this one for example are cold or not compassionate. I think most of us really do care. But, at the same time, we're here to discuss objectively where we live. I think many of us become very frustrated when it appears that folks' personal issues are clouding their objectivity, and that's where the problems start.

I would ask that folks who are generally unhappy here to imagine what it would be like if whatever problems they had were suddenly lifted off their shoulders. Picture life with no health problems, no money problems, great job (or retirement) and relationship. If you had all that, then describe life in Phoenix. If it sounds better than what you're writing now, then your personal problems are clouding your judgment and you're not being fair to Phoenix (or wherever).

Old 02-04-2011, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Misty I think you have answered your own question. I have found that City Data is NOT the best place for deeper problems. I do not think Mares meant to offend you, her words of positive attitude were glib at worst. Many of us are dealing with bigger issues at this time.The one thing we can control, Thank God is our attitude. You told one poster that you were"unsuitable for Wal Mart", when he felt he may someday work there. All intonation and intent is lost on the internet and things come out all sorts of ways.

I use City Data as a way to relax and socialize, hopefully to help out others who are in the same boat, and sometimes make people laugh. I do not think its the best place for serious issues unless you have a really thick skin. I don't and I don't think you do either, my dear.
Ok, trust me, after posting 4K plus posts on a strictly conservative forum and being used to being piled on, I think I have a thick skin.

As far as the Wal-mart comment, cannot stand on my feet for any length of time and never could.

And if this is your way of telling me to scram, you won't be the first. Like I said, the only kind of posts welcome here are the ones extolling the virtues of Phoenix. I just want to paint a more realistic picture.

Last edited by mistygrl092; 02-04-2011 at 03:31 PM..

Old 02-04-2011, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
I don't quite agree. City Data does have forums that are much better suited for discussions such as these. Examples are the the Relationships and Health and Wellness forums. People help people with issues in those forums.

I don't think people in the city forums like this one for example are cold or not compassionate. I think most of us really do care. But, at the same time, we're here to discuss objectively where we live. I think many of us become very frustrated when it appears that folks' personal issues are clouding their objectivity, and that's where the problems start.

I would ask that folks who are generally unhappy here to imagine what it would be like if whatever problems they had were suddenly lifted off their shoulders. Picture life with no health problems, no money problems, great job (or retirement) and relationship. If you had all that, then describe life in Phoenix. If it sounds better than what you're writing now, then your personal problems are clouding your judgment and you're not being fair to Phoenix (or wherever).
I could list a litany of problems with this town that have nothing to do with me but, as I mentioned before, I won't. All a person has to do is google on it. Sperling's is a great place to start and fairly well balanced.

This isn't about "deep emotional problems." This is about a city with serious shortcomings which, if pressured to do so, I will expound, but I'd just as soon not go there. My intent of this thread was to explain why people stay, not to bash Phoenix.

Old 02-04-2011, 03:34 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,910,655 times
Quote:
Can I be nosy? How is it you feel comfortable at your age just up and leaving without insurance or do you have it? BTW, Wal-mart does not offer medical benefits unless one is FT and from what I've heard they are only hiring part-time. Plus, I would be unsuitable for Wal-mart.
Wal Mart DOES offer insurance to part timers. Part timers have almost ALL the same benefits as full timers. They hire full and part time...the choice is up to the employee. Also you work the hours you want. We have some people working at Wal Mart that you would think would be "unsuitable" and yet they are there. We have one associate who's in her early 90s! She's been with them for 21 years, since she retired from her teaching job. Some have medical problems as well. They make concessions for them. Don't believe all you hear about Wal Mart and how they treat their employees. I LOVE working there and they are really good to us. Many of the people I work with have been there for 5, 10, 15 and 20 years. They wouldn't be there so long if they were treated badly.

Old 02-04-2011, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
Wal Mart DOES offer insurance to part timers. Part timers have almost ALL the same benefits as full timers. They hire full and part time...the choice is up to the employee. Also you work the hours you want. We have some people working at Wal Mart that you would think would be "unsuitable" and yet they are there. We have one associate who's in her early 90s! She's been with them for 21 years, since she retired from her teaching job. Some have medical problems as well. They make concessions for them. Don't believe all you hear about Wal Mart and how they treat their employees. I LOVE working there and they are really good to us. Many of the people I work with have been there for 5, 10, 15 and 20 years. They wouldn't be there so long if they were treated badly.
Ok, I have both heard and read differently. I also flew to Bentonville to Wal-mart headquarters in one of my previous jobs and was not impressed.

Old 02-04-2011, 03:45 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,910,655 times
Quote:
Ok, I have both heard and read differently. I also flew to Bentonville to Wal-mart headquarters in one of my previous jobs and was not impressed.
I also have "heard and read differently". In fact I swore I would NEVER EVER work for that "evil Wal Mart". lol So it's been a really nice surprise to find that all my fears were unfounded. Also, I read where you said you couldn't be on your feet. I don't think ANY of our people greeters can, which is why they have stools and can sit most of the time. Some are "old"...maybe older than me, and I'm "pushing" 70...some are very overweight, etc. but they do the job. I'm a cashier and, yes, I'm on my feet but they also make sure you get all your breaks and an hour lunch, which is nice. I'm a part timer so my schedule varies but I like the paycheck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area