Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2011, 09:34 PM

422 posts, read 792,398 times

Advertisements

I support her. Such legislation that gives big companies tax breaks should never have been introduced. The company is now trying to "bully" the legislature into passing it by threatening to cut those jobs. let them, and their corruption, find a new state to take advantage of.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2011, 10:50 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,891,980 times
Seems that some companies have lobbyists who and buy the elected leaders, then there are those companies who have just not given enough money to them yet. It’s only a payoff and lobbyists know that they’ll buy them off sooner or later, just a matter of time.

We should have separation of church and state but also corporations and state as well!

Old 04-17-2011, 10:53 AM

3,819 posts, read 11,946,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougstech View Post
I support her. Such legislation that gives big companies tax breaks should never have been introduced. The company is now trying to "bully" the legislature into passing it by threatening to cut those jobs. let them, and their corruption, find a new state to take advantage of.
You really don't think there is a net benefit to the state from 13,000 employees?

The article says the benefit to Univ. of Phoenix would be between $20 - $50 million, or $1358 - $3,846 per employee. You really don't think those employees would give that back and much more in income tax, sales tax and other spendings? And it's not like that $20 - $50 million is coming out of pockets of the state...I mean if the company leaves, you don't get anything, it's not like you saved $20 - $50 million. Sure, you could have made more if they didn't get the benefit...but isn't something better than nothing?

Old 04-17-2011, 01:11 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,304,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
It passed unanimously in the legislature. Sounds like Brewer knows she is going to be overridden and just wants to put on some defender of the budget face here.
Exactly, we give all of this money to First Solar yet one of our biggest companies threatens to relocate their headquarters and 13K employees and she won't give them a dime. Bad politics and bad business!

Old 04-17-2011, 07:35 PM

523 posts, read 937,768 times
I saw the news too and I am very concerned. We are losing U.S. Airways, and now the Apollo group. Things keep getting worse, and I think the policy needs to be examined by everyone.

Old 04-17-2011, 07:37 PM

5,546 posts, read 10,003,203 times
Well, whose fault is it she was elected? That would be Arizonans who obviously were not thinking.

The chickens are coming home to roost and there is a reason I want out.

Old 04-17-2011, 07:47 PM

3,391 posts, read 7,164,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnicAZ View Post
I saw the news too and I am very concerned. We are losing U.S. Airways, and now the Apollo group. Things keep getting worse, and I think the policy needs to be examined by everyone.
We are not losing Apollo Group.

Old 04-17-2011, 08:38 PM

39,077 posts, read 51,252,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimballette View Post
or US Airways.

Old 04-17-2011, 09:02 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,431,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnicAZ View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimballette View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
or US Airways.
As the others have noted, your gloom and doom is way overdone. And, inaccurate.

Old 04-17-2011, 09:30 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,304,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
Well, whose fault is it she was elected? That would be Arizonans who obviously were not thinking.

The chickens are coming home to roost and there is a reason I want out.
To be fair, she isn't totally worthless. She has done some good things. She got rid of the speed cameras. She has successfully balanced our state budget, something most politicians are incapable of doing. She also enacted legislation to reduce our corporate tax rate by 2% percentage points in 2014 which will increase more investment in this state.

I think her two biggest faults is her reduced spending on education and her fear mongering regarding illegals which gave our state a bad name and caused significant reduction in investment into our state. If you look at our actual policies and actions, nothing has changed but the verbiage did enough economic damage from a public relations POV. Regarding her policy on ACCCHS, I'm mixed on that. While i don't want the poor to lack access to healthcare, I've personally witnessed childless adults abuse the system to the point I'm jaded and it's difficult for me to be objective about that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area