Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2011, 01:36 PM

1,204 posts, read 2,526,356 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

We just moved here in June so this is our first Halloween here. We live in Chandler, off Rural in a nice subdivision. My question is, do kids still go door to door here or has it turned into the mall deal? I really enjoy door to door and it seems our neighbors are decorating so seems it should be pretty safe. What do you all do with your kids?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2011, 04:29 PM

1,774 posts, read 1,189,978 times
We live in a family-oriented neighborhood in Glendale. Yes, the children do still go Trick-or-Treating. It is a great time to meet the neighbors.

Old 10-23-2011, 08:54 PM

235 posts, read 755,683 times
When half of the houses don't answer their doors, just assume they are all at the mall . It seems every year community dies a little bit, especially for Halloween. Good luck and be safe

Old 10-23-2011, 09:45 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,218,212 times
I live in Goodyear and they still go door to door but not nearly as much as they did when we lived in the Pacific Northwest. There are a lot of houses with the lights off so just skip those and find the houses that look inviting. My daughter still goes trick or treating I would just make sure she is in a decent neighborhood.

Old 10-24-2011, 01:47 PM

777 posts, read 1,336,319 times
Ya, I've noticed there's a lot less trick or treating out here in AZ compared to what I've seen in nor Cal. As far as in neighborhoods go. Though, in CA, our parents use to take us to the safe/upscale neighborhoods, as did most other parents. Can anyone confirm how the trick or treating is Surprise Farms 2 area? We don't know if it's going to be worth buying candy this year for this area; even tho it's more kid friendly than the last two neighborhoods we've lived in. But we don't know what to expect.

Old 10-24-2011, 03:14 PM

39,075 posts, read 51,205,311 times
There is quite a bit in my area. The kids come home with full bags after about an hour of it. It goes from about 6 for the little ones to maybe 830 when it all dies off. Typically homes that offer treats have the outside lights on. You hit them and avoid the rest. Some neighborhoods are better than others with the family ones being the best and oldie areas the worst. Decorating for Halloween seems to be a very big thing too. Some people go to great lengths with sound effects, motion, etc. You typically see a party or two where neighbors set up at one house and sit outside with the goodies. The local church holds its anti-Halloween party for the kids too.

Old 10-24-2011, 08:53 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,290,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lauramc27 View Post
Hi all,

We just moved here in June so this is our first Halloween here. We live in Chandler, off Rural in a nice subdivision. My question is, do kids still go door to door here or has it turned into the mall deal? I really enjoy door to door and it seems our neighbors are decorating so seems it should be pretty safe. What do you all do with your kids?
I also live in a nice community in Chandler and we get more than our fair share of trick or treaters. I can't speak on behalf of other communities but we run out of candy every year and have to turn off our lights because they will still trick or treat past 8 PM if you leave your lights on.

I would recommend you turn your lights off and stop giving out candy after 7:30 - 8 PM though. After this time, you do tend to see older kids (as in teenagers) trick or treat for the hell of it and many can be a little rowdy. I think a lot of people from other communities bring their children to trick or treat in Chandler.

I've seen more trick or treating in Arizona than I did in L.A. and Dallas. Those cities had a lot of the mall trick or treaters whereas you still see a lot of kids trick or treating here due to the suburban nature of the city. I think some might find that trick or treating is less here but that has to do with the times more than Arizona. Arizona had a lot more trick or treaters 5-10 years too.

The times have changed as well so let's not blame the lack of community for people taking kids to the mall. When I was a kid, our parents didn't accompany us, we used to go with our friends and trick or treat in the neighborhood and be done. You could do this back then because people didn't exploit and abuse children on Halloween like they do today. You didn't fear for your safety from adults or other kids. It wasn't until criminals and dirtbags started exploiting Halloween by lacing candy and committing crimes against children did these measures start to take place. We had malls when we were kids too but they didn't host trick or treating events. Also, who wouldn't want to take their kids to the mall. At least you know the candy is safe, it's well lit and they tend to offer pretty good stuff.

Last edited by azriverfan.; 10-24-2011 at 09:06 PM..

Old 10-25-2011, 01:14 PM

1,533 posts, read 1,591,427 times
I also live in Chandler off of Rural, so bet we are pretty close to each other. Our neighborhood is full of kids and tick or treaters every year. Last year was a bit slower but I think it was because Halloween was on a Sunday.

We have a drive way party for our neighbors every year and it's always the first time everyone gets together again after a long hot summer with everyone stuck indoors. It's a great way to meet a lot of the newbies that have moved in this year too.

Old 10-30-2015, 09:11 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,398,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lauramc27 View Post
Hi all,

I'm not too far from you. You should get some trick or treaters. Can't say for sure how many, in my area it varies from year to year. I see less decorating in my neighborhood than in recent years, it will be interesting to see how the trick or treating goes.

Old 10-31-2015, 04:22 AM

31 posts, read 46,975 times
After reading these responses, the out of stater has 2 questions:

What is mall trick or treating? And your trick or treat doesn't have an end time?! (Every city by us has set times like 1-4 and then most neighborhood associations do their own thing with a party and later trick or treating like 6-8)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area