Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2007, 08:47 AM

9,319 posts, read 18,747,810 times

Advertisements

I think driving to downtown is all in the timing. My friend works for attorneys and is down at the courts. She will take Grand Ave all the way to 7th and it takes her 45 min give or take. My husband would leave the house at 5:30 a.m to get into Tempe around 7:00 a.m. If he left at 6, then it was 1 hour 45 min or two hours. When the snowbirds leave and the college students are gone, it took him 45 to 55 min. Suffice it to say that it can be done. It can also wear on you really fast. Personally, I think it would be great if we had better mass transit to address the outlying areas. Be even greater if some of the bigger firms would come over to the west side.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2007, 05:59 PM
Sco

4,259 posts, read 4,918,958 times
When discussing commute times, it is important not to leave out details like non peak timing or the use of HOV lanes, they make a dramatic difference.

The real commute time during rush hour assuming no HOV lane use would be between an hour and hour & 1/2 depending on the time of year. Anybody that claims to make that drive during rush hour in 45 minutes is lying.

Old 09-12-2007, 11:05 AM

325 posts, read 1,020,392 times
Great Joy,
You sure are a nice person taking the time to help people by providing so much information. You now added Vistancia to my short list of places I would like to consider moving to. I have been looking into Trilogy's Power Ranch, Estrella or Robson's Pebble Creek and now Vistancia. Does anyone have comparisons of the different places for me. It is so hard to plan a short discovery trip from Wisconsin. I am looking for a growth area for the sake of jobs. My husband and I are in our 50's but still need to work. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. I know so many of us are in the same boat and I have learned so much from these forums. We were thinking about Florida (The Villages), but the dry climate seems much healthier than the humid.

Old 09-12-2007, 11:50 AM

pinda. Trilogy Vistancia is located in a little more upscale area than Power Ranch and the prices seem to be the same. Power Ranch is also very nice, but I feel the shopping here in Peoria has some of the nicest. There are only a few new builds left in Power Ranch and I believe Vistancia has a little more than half to build. The Kiva Club is beautiful and a treat just to wander through. They have an indoor pool, gym, massage parlor, learning center and a wonderful little cafe. There is also the Grill restaurant if you want a nice sit down dinner or lunch and you can sit out on the patio overlooking the golf course. I like the architecture of the homes in Vistancia over Power Ranch. Please see them online and come and visit us here.
My husband and I went to look at the Villages in Florida and decided AZ was a far better choice. What type of work will you be looking for?

Old 09-12-2007, 01:27 PM

547 posts, read 1,185,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinda View Post
Great Joy,
You sure are a nice person taking the time to help people by providing so much information. You now added Vistancia to my short list of places I would like to consider moving to. I have been looking into Trilogy's Power Ranch, Estrella or Robson's Pebble Creek and now Vistancia. Does anyone have comparisons of the different places for me. It is so hard to plan a short discovery trip from Wisconsin. I am looking for a growth area for the sake of jobs. My husband and I are in our 50's but still need to work. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. I know so many of us are in the same boat and I have learned so much from these forums. We were thinking about Florida (The Villages), but the dry climate seems much healthier than the humid.
Pinda~
I agree. There is a wealth of knowledge on this thread from both Great Joy and MotleyCrew and of course many others. I didn't start this thread, nor was I looking to move, but even though I'm happy where I am, those two opened my eyes and got me thinking. I've read many posts in this forum and others who have voiced their preference for our dry heat versus the humidity of Florida. Be sure you check on our Monsoons though, we do get humidity during late July through about this time every year. If you like the idea of 2 very hot months (but plenty of air conditioning) and 10 months of beautiful weather, then you would probably enjoy it here. I moved from cold and dreary (but very beautiful) Washington State 5 years ago and haven't regretted it. Good luck on your search for information and hopefully your eventual move to Arizona.
Annie

Old 09-12-2007, 06:56 PM

31 posts, read 105,577 times
I was just out there for a very quick trip. Had job interview at Petsmart corp office which is at 19601 N 27th ave. I drove out to Vistanica on a Sunday at around 1pm. Now Im not sure how long it took since I was tired and just got off a plane an hour before from the east coast, and was a bit nervous since I was following mapquest thus wasnt 100% sure where I was going. Mapquest said 17 miles which really isnt far but again it may of seemd far esp last 4-5 miles where there wasnt much out there. Thus my question is does anyone really know what the commute time would realistcally be from Vistancia to the petsmart corp office. It may not be that bad but again I couldnt tell due to above factors.

Old 09-12-2007, 07:08 PM

31 posts, read 105,577 times
System crashed thus to finish my post I then drove up long road and got directions to Anthem from a police officer who I may add was very polite and helpful. I stopped in aTramonto Subway. I thought Tramonto was Anthem but its actually 3-4 miles south of Anthem. Everyone in the subway waas very helpful.
I drove up to Anthem and thought it was nice. That is up 17 and only 13 miles from Petsmart corp office so my next question is does anyone on this post truly know what the commute time would be at 7.15 am from Anthem to Above petsmart corp address and then going home at 5.30 or so.
I drove by Fletcher Heights earlier but didnt pop in on my way to Vistancia. I couldnt find West MT wing etc.
I know everyone has told me zip code 85308 is very nice, but my wife and i if we do end up coming out there with our 7yr old would only buy a house no more than 5 years old, and that zip code looks like they are older homes.
If anyone who lives in Vistancia or near Vistancia, and the same for Anthem and works at Petsmart or near Petsmart corp office could provide me some info to these two post it would be greatly appreciated. Along with any other info. Our price range would be between 350k-425k that we would want to spend on a house thus could look at homes even higher due to market.
Along with other reccomendations that would be no more than a 30 minute commute, with good school systems and newer homes in my price range.
I know everyone has some info but would like to hear from folks who actually make these commutes as well.
Is tramonto part of Anthem? Didnt appear to be and from my conversation with someone in Subway. I will say everyone I met was very friendly and the scenery was very ncie although just desert and mountains, no green for the most part.
Appreciate feedback.
Also what is the state income tax, is it around 4.5%.
Tks

Old 09-13-2007, 12:36 PM

In reply to MotleyCrew,

My husband is now a truck driver and a part time truck driving instructor. He would love to go full time into becoming an instructor for truck drivers. He won the State of Wisconsin Championship Truck Driving Rodeo and is a very safe driver. It is difficult to find job openings for this type of employment.

I have been searching for a place to move to for about 2 to 3 years now. I have found these forums to be the most accurate and helpful ways to get to know an area.

Has anyone else considered or lived in The Villages in Florida but decided on Arizona instead.

Thank you all so much for your help. I want to spend the few days we have in November scouting out the area we would like to go to.

Last edited by pinda; 09-13-2007 at 12:44 PM.. Reason: repeated

Old 09-13-2007, 12:44 PM

In response to MotleyCrew

My husband would love to become a full-time Truck Driving Instructor. He is a full-time truck driver now with an exceptional safety record and he was the State Champion Truck Driver in the Rodeo's (Big Rigs Parallel parking, backing up etc...) and he loves his part-time Truck Driving Instructor at the Technical College in our town in Wisconsin.

It is a bit difficult to find Truck Driving Instructor employment. Anyone that would hire him would have the BEST employee and instructor.

Is anyone aware of a Truck Driving School that may be looking. I think this would give him the comfort to move.

I have a severe case of Seasonal Affective Disorder and the sunshine would be so good for me. I love Wisconsin, the people, the scenery, but our LONG, DARK winters are so hard on me. I think I will do a post to see if anyone else has this and how they are doing in Arizona.

Thank you all so much for your advice. I will keep gleaning the great information. I find it to be so helpful.

Old 09-13-2007, 01:25 PM

We could sure use some future employers over here on the west side! Best of luck to you in your search.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area