Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2012, 01:44 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,226,281 times

Advertisements

not sure if I see your point in respects to what I posted

there were questions on Cartwright & I gave information based on that

there are plenty of other districts that are better ...... however, those weren't asked about

it's fine to let someone know of some other districts if they want to apply - if the OP wanted to know we could easily expand on that list as well

however, the OP didn't ask all of that so I didn't address it

only thing that I can imagine you took exception to was that gilbert/chandler would be a bad place to live if you were working @ cartwright ......... which isn't wrong in any way shape or form

heck, i'd probably be against living in those places as a single person in their early 20s, but that is another discussion altogether
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2012, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadyFreddy View Post
That surprises me. I would think a teacher in Maryvale, especially of the younger grades, would encounter many students very new to English, where Spanish is spoken in the home. Obviously, she won't be teaching in Spanish but I think being able to help students with poor English is going to require she understand what they're saying in Spanish.
It's relatively complicated, but AZ has a structured english immersion program.

There is an AZ English Language Learner Assessment that is given to students to test their proficiency

If deemed proficient then they enter a regular classroom where it's all english, all the time

A.R.S. 15-751 through 15-757 deal with English Language Education for Children in Public Schools.

Arizona Revised Statutes

Here is ARS 15-752
Quote:
15-752. English language education

(Caution: 1998 Prop. 105 Applies)

Subject to the exceptions provided in section 15-753, all children in Arizona public schools shall be taught English by being taught in English and all children shall be placed in English language classrooms. Children who are English learners shall be educated through sheltered English immersion during a temporary transition period not normally intended to exceed one year. Local schools shall be permitted but not required to place in the same classroom English learners of different ages but whose degree of English proficiency is similar. Local schools shall be encouraged to mix together in the same classroom English learners from different native-language groups but with the same degree of English fluency. Once English learners have acquired a good working knowledge of English and are able to do regular school work in English, they shall no longer be classified as English learners and shall be transferred to English language mainstream classrooms. As much as possible, current per capita supplemental funding for English learners shall be maintained. Foreign language classes for children who already know English shall be completely unaffected, as shall special educational programs for physically- or mentally-impaired students.
There are certain circumstances where bilingual classrooms are permissible (and in some cases required), there are English Language Learner classes, etc.

Things can get murky if a student is still classified as ELL after their 1st year as it can shift requirements

The district my wife started off in was pretty heavy on ELLs ...... she had one student that was in her classroom who just moved over and really didn't speak any English ........ the fellow students were able to help her out though - even in that case though my wife would not have been permitted to use Spanish in instruction or anything else that could be "teaching"

Old 04-19-2012, 02:19 PM

13 posts, read 16,114 times
Hey guys,
Thanks for getting back to me so quickly! I have received a letter of intent from the district, but I have yet to apply. It seems that if I apply, principals will start their own interviews with me (I talked with the recruiters at the job fair), and there's seems to be a good chance that I'd get hired. My concerns are:
1. Cost of living. I have no debt, so I can start off with a clean slate, but, at the same time, I don't want to live in a high crime neighborhood where it's not safe to be out and about after sunset, because that's what I can afford with my salary (I think it's about $35k?).
2. I know that being a first year teacher I'm going to be at school early and stay late hours, so I don't know if it'd be safe for me to be at school until 7 or 8 PM because I'm grading papers or getting my room and lessons ready for the next day.
3. Violence- I've been hearing how there's a huge immigration problem, and, therefore, some violence. It seems that some of that has to do with the drug cartels, and, once again, I don't want to be in an area where it's not safe for me to be in (young woman who also looks white).
4. If the district has enough resources so that I don't have to pay money I don't have on my own materials. Even up here in MI teachers are paying out of pocket for supplies. I don't mind $20 here or there, but if my room doesn't come equipped with the resources I need, I won't be able to provide for my students.
I'm not really concerned about meeting people per se, because I'm very outgoing, but the kinds of people, if that makes sense. Like, I don't drink or go clubbing (I know it may sound strange), but I'm also not a church mouse.
I'm looking for a place where I can feel safe and that there are things to do. I wish I could go visit, but I'm broke as a joke. I'm also looking for a place where I can fit in. I adapt pretty easily, but when I lived out in Portland, it was culture shock. I don't want to accept a job where I'm stuck in a place I don't like. Thanks again!

Old 04-19-2012, 02:34 PM

Take these one at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoba View Post
Hey guys,
1. Cost of living. I have no debt, so I can start off with a clean slate, but, at the same time, I don't want to live in a high crime neighborhood where it's not safe to be out and about after sunset, because that's what I can afford with my salary (I think it's about $35k?).
Your salary sounds about right. You can find a wide variety of housing that will fit your budget and overall cost of living isn't too bad. Just make a budget and stick to it. You should even be able to start developing a rainy day fund.

Shouldn't be an issue in a place where you can be out and about.

Safety and "feel" is going to be different to everyone - however, there are many really nice apartment complexes that are secure, etc.

Quote:
2. I know that being a first year teacher I'm going to be at school early and stay late hours, so I don't know if it'd be safe for me to be at school until 7 or 8 PM because I'm grading papers or getting my room and lessons ready for the next day.
Will depend on the school, but generally the campus will be lit, there will be other staff on hand, etc.

My wifes school locked down when most of the staff went. Big fences with security alarms and the custodial staff would always help them out to their cars.

Quote:
3. Violence- I've been hearing how there's a huge immigration problem, and, therefore, some violence. It seems that some of that has to do with the drug cartels, and, once again, I don't want to be in an area where it's not safe for me to be in (young woman who also looks white).
This one is in your control for the most part. You don't have to live in an unsafe area. The cartwright district isn't the best area and you will come across more drugs/crime there. However, if all you are doing is going to/from work or going out for lunch and things like that you will be fine.

A lot of that violence isn't random. If you are not a part of drugs, etc then you will typically not be a part of the violence.

Even with that, not everyone in that area is going to be bad - in fact most will be pretty good even if things are stacked against them a bit.

Quote:
4. If the district has enough resources so that I don't have to pay money I don't have on my own materials. Even up here in MI teachers are paying out of pocket for supplies. I don't mind $20 here or there, but if my room doesn't come equipped with the resources I need, I won't be able to provide for my students.
Anticipate that you will need to come out of pocket. First year teachers spend a lot (well most teachers even over their first few years). There are going to be visual aides, classroom decorations, resources, etc that you will want and will need to provide.

When my wife and I first stepped into her classroom we found 5 dead roaches and 2 tattered encyclopedias ..... first thing we did was clean ... the walls dripped black when hit with water ..... scrubbed the place up and made it our own.

Places like Savers & Goodwill were great for adding books, furniture, etc.

A couple teachers worked with the local Rotary club to improve some reference materials.

However, in a poor neighborhood you aren't going to have a very active or well funded PTO - without that there will be less classroom money coming in.

It's frustrating but part of the game.

Keep receipts for the tax credits and lean on your fellow teachers who have gone through the same thing.

You may even get lucky and find a room that was left well stocked.

Quote:
I'm looking for a place where I can feel safe and that there are things to do. I wish I could go visit, but I'm broke as a joke. I'm also looking for a place where I can fit in. I adapt pretty easily, but when I lived out in Portland, it was culture shock. I don't want to accept a job where I'm stuck in a place I don't like. Thanks again!
What about Portland was a culture shock (btw Phoenix is almost the anti-Portland)?

Also, you aren't signing your life away ........ just a year of it ..... if you don't like it there is nothing holding you here.

There are plenty of neighborhoods that are safe and would be in your range that would have good access to a variety of activities, shopping, restaurants, etc.

What do you consider "things to do"?

Old 04-19-2012, 03:57 PM

Yeah, I get that there's going to be money going into my classroom, but I was talking about major things such as technology or textbooks or lab materials. I keep seeing that Cartwright isn't the best, yet it's not the worst. Is there anything else to describe it because I'm not really sure what that means. Is there a significant amount of poverty, drugs, violence, etc.? Or does it have its problems like most places? Is it exceptionally bad?
You're totally right. I'm not signing my life away, but I tend to have tunnel vision when thinking about the future. Hahaha.
The thing about Portland that was a shock to me was how liberal it was and how the way people think is. I mean, it's west coast mentality and I've grown up either on the east coast or the mid-west. I'm not really sure if that answered your question...
So does/did your wife teach in the Cartwright district? Or are you just talking about her experience in another school district as a first year teacher?
I'm pretty boring, I guess you could say. I mean the entertainment around here is to go to Wal*Mart & then hit up Taco Bell. I really like museums, music, movies, sporting events. I'm pretty easily amused...

Old 04-19-2012, 04:10 PM

Technology you wouldn't be expected to buy - just don't expect to necessarily have it in droves either

You may have to buy some texts/labs depending on what you want to do

The Cartwright district is in a poorer section of town with all the things associated with that

In an elementary school environment it shouldn't be that bad ..... as you get older kids you'll typically get more mature problems

My wife didn't teach in Cartwright, but she wasn't far from there in a very similar neighborhood ....... she taught 7th grade all inclusive ..... there were some gang issues, some drug issues, occasionally a kid would bring something stupid on campus ....... however, for the most part the kids were kids and most of them were pretty good

the campus was perfectly safe and there was a decent sense of community

there was just very little involvement from the parents on a whole and education wasn't exactly a priority in the lives of lots of the kids - many of whom were dealing with things at home that would be hard to process for people 2-3x their age

You may have kids test you and your authority - but that's teaching and not specific to the district

The elementary schools on a whole aren't dangerous - some even perform on an average basis ....... they just have some challenges that are tough

here is some information on the district in respects to prop 301 money (along with some decent general information)

http://www.auditorgen.state.az.us/Re...wright_ESD.pdf

Also, there are a lot of schools within the district - so while the neighborhood boundaries as a whole may be challenging, like many places you have pockets that are above average and pockets that are below average

Old 04-19-2012, 04:38 PM

So nothing to really worry about? It's not like I'm going to an inner city school like Detroit, right? Haha

Old 04-19-2012, 05:20 PM

1,232 posts, read 3,133,332 times
http://www.city-data.com/neighborhoo...hoenix-AZ.html

I'm guessing that's Maryvale? I don't know the area that well. I think it's one of the poorest in Phx but I'm no expert, by far. Lots of data in that link above. I would also use city-data or another site like Homefair.com to look at crime rates compared to your CURRENT zip code, or some other place your familiar with. They break it down by types of crime and everything.

Old 04-19-2012, 05:40 PM

I'll check it out. Thanks!

Old 04-19-2012, 05:48 PM

Yep - it is Maryvale

Keep in mind though there is a huge difference between work & live
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area