Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2012, 11:58 AM

223 posts, read 596,711 times

Advertisements

As the OP, I'd like to add another reason to like Scottsdale - the TRAIL SYSTEM! I have recently started exploring the various trails in the McDowell Sonoran Preserve. I mainly hit the trails starting at the 'Gateway' trailhead on Thompson Peak Parkway (great parking, clean restrooms, etc), the "Lost Dog" Trailhead near Via Linda, (ditto parking/restrooms), and Sunrise Trail at the end of Via Linda (no restroom, but the best trail for afternoon shade hiking).

Before this I tried 'South Mountain', the Phoenix Mountain preserve system (off of 51 at Squaw Peak / Piestewa Peak), Camelback, and others - all having their attractions, but non matching the McDowell Sonoran Preserve trails from a perspective of diversity, difficulty level, range of environments, etc. And uncrowded!

I think it is great that these trails have been established. I imagine the city extracted a huge 'fee' from all the developers to fund this, and I'm incredibly grateful. But they can be enjoyed by everyone ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2012, 12:14 PM

272 posts, read 609,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azdr0710 View Post
in my experience, only tourists, recent transplants, and the visitors' bureau use the term "Old Town Scottsdale"....the phrase has a more quaint aspect than "downtown" and sounds like the Western kitsch many visitors are seeking....marketing, public relations, and convention promotion play in there somewhere, too....

and I never heard the term "Old Town" used for downtown Scottsdale at all more than about 15 or 20 years ago...

it's true that the corner of Main and Brown is the traditional birthplace of Scottsdale and the map linked above IDs this very small part of downtown as "Old Town"....however, many seem to regard all of downtown as "Old Town" because it's where the visitors think they are supposed to go.....

yup, feeling a little cynical today............
When I lived in Scottsdale in the early 80s, everyone I knew referred to the area as "Old Town".

Old 06-10-2012, 10:46 PM

58 posts, read 103,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steerpike View Post
As the OP, I'd like to add another reason to like Scottsdale - the TRAIL SYSTEM! I have recently started exploring the various trails in the McDowell Sonoran Preserve. I mainly hit the trails starting at the 'Gateway' trailhead on Thompson Peak Parkway (great parking, clean restrooms, etc), the "Lost Dog" Trailhead near Via Linda, (ditto parking/restrooms), and Sunrise Trail at the end of Via Linda (no restroom, but the best trail for afternoon shade hiking).

Before this I tried 'South Mountain', the Phoenix Mountain preserve system (off of 51 at Squaw Peak / Piestewa Peak), Camelback, and others - all having their attractions, but non matching the McDowell Sonoran Preserve trails from a perspective of diversity, difficulty level, range of environments, etc. And uncrowded!

I think it is great that these trails have been established. I imagine the city extracted a huge 'fee' from all the developers to fund this, and I'm incredibly grateful. But they can be enjoyed by everyone ...
Steerpike,

I'm moving into this part of town later this month, and I can't wait to try out some of the trails. Do you know of any good resources to find the best ones? Do you have any particular recommendations from your experience? Thanks,

Old 06-12-2012, 08:13 AM

2,852 posts, read 4,504,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olive2Bgeeky View Post
Four years as a 'bird' and now have lived here for over a year. Honest to goodness, I have yet to meet one snob and I'm in N. Scottsdale. I'm very middle-class, if there is a need to classify people by income. I have met more snobs in my lifetime that are middle-class as they try to 'up' their status if even only in their own mind. I'm not sure why there is this need to keep defending Scottsdale? I guess I do so because it is an awesome place to live and it's sad when people misrepresent it.
That's why Scottsdale has the reputation of being snobby.

Middle-class people trying to up their status and appearing to be upper-crust.

They don't call it the home of the $30-$40,000.00 millionaire for nothing.

Old 06-12-2012, 11:52 AM

896 posts, read 1,477,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
in fact, Captain Bill's area of Val Vista Lakes in Gilbert is probably one of my first choices if I ever decided to move from Scottsdale.
Yeah, but when Bill wants to see hot women he drives to Scottsdale.

Old 06-12-2012, 05:06 PM

44 posts, read 157,452 times
Hmmm being from the Phoenix area and living there for 18 years (gladly gone!), I would say Scottsdale is an attractive place to live. However, when I worked there two summers ago the people were really rude and snobby IMO. I didn't get into any "verbal" confrontations but I got a lot of noses in the air and eye rolls. I would defiantly live there if it weren't for the feel I got from the people.

Old 06-12-2012, 08:55 PM

701 posts, read 1,429,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Java Jolt View Post
That's why Scottsdale has the reputation of being snobby.

Middle-class people trying to up their status and appearing to be upper-crust.

They don't call it the home of the $30-$40,000.00 millionaire for nothing.
Umm, yeah they do. "They" being people who try to feel better about themselves by putting down affluent towns in their area, and feeling they're above all that. Scarsdale, Beverly Hills, Turtle Creek, Coral Gables, etc all have similar detractors. It's pathetic, really. We get it JJ, you hate Scottsdale.

Old 06-12-2012, 11:30 PM

391 posts, read 841,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlainWhite View Post
Umm, yeah they do. "They" being people who try to feel better about themselves by putting down affluent towns in their area, and feeling they're above all that. Scarsdale, Beverly Hills, Turtle Creek, Coral Gables, etc all have similar detractors. It's pathetic, really. We get it JJ, you hate Scottsdale.
I don't think he is too far off from the truth. Maybe he is referring to the club scene in Scottsdale, where there are posers playing off like they have a lot of money. I know someone like that, but he is in his own world...

Old 06-12-2012, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arizona stallion View Post
Steerpike,

I'm moving into this part of town later this month, and I can't wait to try out some of the trails. Do you know of any good resources to find the best ones? Do you have any particular recommendations from your experience? Thanks,
This is the main page for the preserve. This page has maps. The 'non-interactive Trail Maps' tab has maps you can download and print. But most of the 'trailheads' have the same map in folded form that you can pick up. In addition to the Sonoran preserve, you can also hike 'Pinacle Peak' - a relatively easy and popular trail (not as rugged as many of the trails, but a nice intro). Quite a drive to get to, though, compared to the others. I think the best overall spot to start from is the "Gateway" trailhead on Thompson Peak Parkway. From there, you can do short or long loops.

Old 06-13-2012, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noscut View Post
Hmmm being from the Phoenix area and living there for 18 years (gladly gone!), I would say Scottsdale is an attractive place to live. However, when I worked there two summers ago the people were really rude and snobby IMO. I didn't get into any "verbal" confrontations but I got a lot of noses in the air and eye rolls. I would defiantly live there if it weren't for the feel I got from the people.
Where did you experience this? In stores, from workers? In restaurants, from servers? In the street, from passersby? I've been here 3 years now and I don't notice these things ... I drive a pretty boring 2007 car and dress ... shall we say ... boring ... (costco Jeans in winter, dockers, $20 shorts in summer ... nothing 'designer'). I can imagine getting 'eye rolls' if I drove a jacked up truck, or a 'ricer' car with loud exhaust ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kremit View Post
I don't think he is too far off from the truth. Maybe he is referring to the club scene in Scottsdale, where there are posers playing off like they have a lot of money. I know someone like that, but he is in his own world...
It seems like Scottsdale is one of the few places in the valley that has an active 'night scene'. I suspect people come from all over and are certainly not representative of the average resident.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area