Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2012, 09:19 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,369,291 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
We live in Waddell which is next to Surprise. I'm of the opinion the reason(s) that houses are less expensive in this area range from distance to Phoenix (commuting) to the massive building boom that occurred.
It's not that they're bad areas or "less than" other more expensive areas like Gilbert, just farther out which is what we like.
I agree with Jimj and would add to his opinion and state that many of those communities in the outreaches like Surprise, Goodyear, Gilbert, Sun Lakes, Mesa (Las Sendas) are in fact BETTER than places in proximal metro Phoenix. And it's not just the "new" factor. I know someone will chime in and say "Yeah they are new so they are better" NOPE There are a lot of new communities in the proximal metropolitan area that are just lackluster and generic despite being new; some of these places are new and "gated" but they are houses that are practically touching either with some cheap fencing that looks like a glorified apartment complex. But these communities on the fringes are designed better. The quality of the construction and planning is vastly superior. They look like actual communities with beautiful landscaping, play areas for children, lawns and a legitimate gate. It really upsets me because I'm trying to find those type of communities in proximal metropolitan area and there aren't many of them and even less homes for sale in those communities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2012, 06:18 AM

9,914 posts, read 11,310,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gardengrower12 View Post
Hi,

Also, why is real estate soooooo inexpensive in Surprise? Looks like you can get quite a home for very little! Is Surprise considered a smaller town or is it still a city?
In 2000, Surprise had a population of around 35,000. Then the boom occurred and the population quickly rose to over 100,000 by 2006. Currently Surprise has a population of around 115,000.

The large home we bought originally sold for about $520K once you figured in landscaping, shades, garage storage etc. We paid about 37 cents on the dollar when we bought in 2011. I understand there was a lottery to be lucky enough to buy a lot in our development (Marley Park). Lots were selling for a massive premium during that era. The person who lost their shorts on our home was a real estate investor that was going to flip it. Opps! That didn't go well. I should mention that they can build a never version of our 2006 home for about $280K-$290K in the exact same neighborhood.

So as you see, nearly the whole town was upside down on their home loan. People walked from their mortgage as they lost their jobs or they decided not to pay and take a 5 year credit rating hit. So while Surprise is less expensive because it is an outer burb, it is inexpensive because of all the foreclosures; the values were BEATEN down. A lot of that mess is now behind us and it is full of new owners. Some bought to rent the home out to people who still want to live there and let their home go while others like me bought a 2nd home.

Surprise isn't a dump or crime ridden. Its actually very very nice. It's issues are that is the commute (or events) to the central Valley can be a pain. Some of the planned infrastructure was put on hold because of the economy. So the dig on the area is it is boring for people who want to party and it lacks the arts etc. That is a fair description.

Old 06-22-2012, 07:03 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,129,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
In 2000, Surprise had a population of around 35,000. Then the boom occurred and the population quickly rose to over 100,000 by 2006. Currently Surprise has a population of around 115,000.

The large home we bought originally sold for about $520K once you figured in landscaping, shades, garage storage etc. We paid about 37 cents on the dollar when we bought in 2011. I understand there was a lottery to be lucky enough to buy a lot in our development (Marley Park). Lots were selling for a massive premium during that era. The person who lost their shorts on our home was a real estate investor that was going to flip it. Opps! That didn't go well. I should mention that they can build a never version of our 2006 home for about $280K-$290K in the exact same neighborhood.

So as you see, nearly the whole town was upside down on their home loan. People walked from their mortgage as they lost their jobs or they decided not to pay and take a 5 year credit rating hit. So while Surprise is less expensive because it is an outer burb, it is inexpensive because of all the foreclosures; the values were BEATEN down. A lot of that mess is now behind us and it is full of new owners. Some bought to rent the home out to people who still want to live there and let their home go while others like me bought a 2nd home.

Surprise isn't a dump or crime ridden. Its actually very very nice. It's issues are that is the commute (or events) to the central Valley can be a pain. Some of the planned infrastructure was put on hold because of the economy. So the dig on the area is it is boring for people who want to party and it lacks the arts etc. That is a fair description.
While that's quite true (bold) it is changing slowly but surely. As an example, Marley Park has started it's next phase including lifestyle centers (shops), new large employers have built or occupied large warehouse buildings (Dicks sporting goods,Sub Zero) and Prasada actually started sloooowly building by adding a Walmart and a couple more car dealers.
The final (?) leg of 303 is in the works and when that is totally built out not only will we do a dance of happiness I think it'll make the "far west" much more attractive to people than it is now. I fully believe that when 303 is done you'll see a surge in home sales and business infill.
One nice thing about living out here right now, we can get produce right as it's picked! Eating a water mellon now that had just come off the vine, SWEEEEET!

Old 06-22-2012, 09:25 AM

4,589 posts, read 13,194,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcg View Post
Homes are inexpensive because we are in the middle of nowhere. Dysart school district is not the best. But, coming from the midwest, Arizona schools in general are not the best.
I have to agree with this. The homes are inexpensive because of the horrid commute. I lived out there for a couple of years and moved back into the valley because I couldn't do the drive everyday anymore. Dysart school district is not the greatst in the valley, heard a lot of complaints from both employee's and parents. If you like the northwest area of the valley I would go either Peoria school district or deer valley school district - better overall school districts. Why don't you look at Vistancia? It's closer to town.

Old 06-22-2012, 10:35 AM

777 posts, read 1,342,115 times
Homes aren't only inexpensive here in Surprise, but in almost every single west valley city out here (Goodyear, Peoria, El Mirage, Avondale, Litchfield Park), although some cities certainly have home worths higher than other cities (such as Litchfield Park and Peoria, because they are more desirably located to freeways and shopping centers, and when the huge foreclosure crisis hit, those two cities had a lot more people holding on than others did (b/c a richer people live there). Many people that desire Surprise, are the elderly that can't/don't want to live in Sun City, and families that want a safe place for their children, with nearby schools. Or even for people like me and my husband, who is just a single couple who wanted a safe and quiet place to reside.

Homes right now, really aren't as cheap as they were 2 years ago, but they're still pretty affordable... if you can find one in a price you want to pay, and if the owners will actually agree to that. IE: many home sellers are pricing their homes really high, and no one is stepping up to pay the high prices for them, just because there's limited options.

I don't know much about the schools here either, but I have seen reports that Scottsdale has some great schools. One of the best ranking high schools in the country, actually.

Old 06-22-2012, 10:55 AM

7,068 posts, read 6,511,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
While that's quite true (bold) it is changing slowly but surely. As an example, Marley Park has started it's next phase including lifestyle centers (shops), new large employers have built or occupied large warehouse buildings (Dicks sporting goods,Sub Zero) and Prasada actually started sloooowly building by adding a Walmart and a couple more car dealers.
The final (?) leg of 303 is in the works and when that is totally built out not only will we do a dance of happiness I think it'll make the "far west" much more attractive to people than it is now. I fully believe that when 303 is done you'll see a surge in home sales and business infill.
One nice thing about living out here right now, we can get produce right as it's picked! Eating a water mellon now that had just come off the vine, SWEEEEET!
Good points jimj....and I know what you mean about the fresh produce...can't beat it!

The only thing to mention is I understand that the Dick's Sporting Goods distribution center that's being built near 303/I 10 and Sub Zero is actually located in Goodyear but I think it will positively impact surrounding areas/the west valley.

Old 06-22-2012, 05:27 PM

2 posts, read 7,563 times
Thank you all so much for the thoughtful comments...this has really really helped!!! We will be visiting in July/August, so we know now where to go and what areas to look at. Thank you, again!

Old 06-23-2012, 07:34 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,129,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek64 View Post
Good points jimj....and I know what you mean about the fresh produce...can't beat it!

The only thing to mention is I understand that the Dick's Sporting Goods distribution center that's being built near 303/I 10 and Sub Zero is actually located in Goodyear but I think it will positively impact surrounding areas/the west valley.
Yes they'er "technically" in Goodyear, that area is a federal trade zone so many city/state/federal tax breaks pop in making it more attractive.
The upside is they're right down the road and all those people have to live somewhere, shop somewhere etc.etc.

Old 04-06-2019, 01:05 PM

1 posts, read 578 times
The area is developing FAST. I moved here in 2009 just after the housing crash. Surprise was the 2nd hardest hit in all the states. When I first moved in, the biggest frustration was the time it took to get to the main freeways or areas. This is no longer the case. The 303 has been build making access to the 10 or 17 QUICK! They have also established a bridge at the crossroads of grand and bell, which was a high choke point area. Getting to the arrowhead area by the mall still take minute, but they have developed norther pkwy into a freeway. right now it goes to dysert, but they are working on having it connect to the 101.

To answer your question about schools, I was very picky when picking a school for my daughters. I am not a fan of normal public schools in general. The good news is charter schools have popped up and their are multiple STEM schools near the area. I went with Surprise Legacy Academy. The curriculum is top notch and my kid was reading and doing math in kindergarden. Fair warning, they get homework every day, but it is worth it.

Old 04-06-2019, 04:09 PM

8,314 posts, read 8,750,837 times
The person you are answering hasn't been here for 7 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area