Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2012, 10:07 PM

2 posts, read 1,707 times

Advertisements

I am being recruited by a West Coast company for their Phoenix office which is on N. Litchfield Rd. one block north of I-10. I am a SWM (51 Y0) that likes to stay active (work out 3-5 times a week, love to hike, bike etc.) but I also love the arts, good restaurants and interesting people and want to meet other active professional singles; especially women. I will be moving from a beach town where my 10 mile commute only took me 15 minutes and I could bike or walk to most of my favorite nightlife spots and the beach. With all that in mind and with the fact I really don't want to spend all my free time stuck in traffic where do you "locals" recommend I look to live if I get the job? There is a gym near the office so I am more concerned about the AM commute than the PM commute because I will just hit the gym until traffic lightens up. I love the Kierland section of Scottsdale but I am getting the feeling that is just too far away from my office.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2012, 10:10 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,229,323 times
That is Goodyear, not Litchfield Park. I'd recommend you look in Goodyear and Litchfield Park as those are the two nicest areas near your work. You can find all you're looking for in these two cities and you won't have any commute to speak of.

You will have to spend a bit more to buy in Litchfield Park as there is more money there but very nice places can be found in either city.

Old 08-03-2012, 10:22 PM

943 posts, read 2,521,731 times
I second LBTRS suggestion of Litchfield Park (preferably within the walls) or Goodyear. There is a Lifetime Fitness at I-10/Bullard that is FABULOUS!!

Old 08-04-2012, 08:34 AM

39,081 posts, read 51,259,863 times
You've pretty much hit the mother lode of job/living convenience. Plenty of nice places in Goodyear. There is a huge county park for hiking just to the south and the Sonoran Desert National Monument as well. Scottsdale is too far for commuting and, to be brutally honest, you are a bit old for the bar scene there anyway. Check out Westgate. Several watering holes and a nice atmosphere. It is busy on weekends and game nights. If you stay near the freeway in Goodyear, it is an easy trip downtown with little traffic after work. Things can be good there too on game days.

Old 08-04-2012, 10:22 AM

81 posts, read 214,515 times
Just stay north of I 10 and you will be OK.

Old 08-04-2012, 10:24 AM

9,091 posts, read 19,231,385 times
Or even south for that matter..........

Old 08-04-2012, 10:30 AM

582 posts, read 1,482,838 times
Just live near your work in Goodyear or Avondale. You can always drive to the Central Ave corridor of Phoenix for a diverse class of restaurants in about 20 minutes via I-10, when you get tired of your area, and that way you will have a 5 minute hassle free commute.

Old 08-04-2012, 11:42 AM

4,866 posts, read 11,229,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLC58 View Post
Just stay north of I 10 and you will be OK.
You must not get out much...some very nice places, including Estrella, are south of the 10 in Goodyear. Your advice adds unneeded confusion for the OP.

Old 08-04-2012, 12:40 PM

3,502 posts, read 9,609,315 times
Litchfield Park (Wigwam) would be your best bet. Close to your job and everything you are looking for.

Old 08-04-2012, 01:22 PM

357 posts, read 712,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormrider27 View Post
I am being recruited by a West Coast company for their Phoenix office which is on N. Litchfield Rd. one block north of I-10. I am a SWM (51 Y0) that likes to stay active (work out 3-5 times a week, love to hike, bike etc.) but I also love the arts, good restaurants and interesting people and want to meet other active professional singles; especially women. I will be moving from a beach town where my 10 mile commute only took me 15 minutes and I could bike or walk to most of my favorite nightlife spots and the beach. With all that in mind and with the fact I really don't want to spend all my free time stuck in traffic where do you "locals" recommend I look to live if I get the job? There is a gym near the office so I am more concerned about the AM commute than the PM commute because I will just hit the gym until traffic lightens up. I love the Kierland section of Scottsdale but I am getting the feeling that is just too far away from my office.

Thanks!
The hiking/biking is easily attainable in that area but the nightlife/good restaurants not so much. Scottsdale and central Phoenix is much more known for that. Westgate can be ok but on the weekends the nightlife can be not my style, a little too...I don't know a nice way to say this...but a litle rough, not young, educated, professionals. Not where I'd send a 51 year old looking for a good place to grab a drink and meet people.

I'd visit and spend the weekend to make sure the Goodyear/Litchfield areas provide the lifestyle you're looking for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area